Max Payne 3 Delayed

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
2,315
0
0
Max Payne 3 Delayed



Bullet time junkies will need to wait a bit longer to see Max back in action while Rockstar puts final touches on the game.

Rockstar's hotly anticipated threequel, Max Payne 3, has been delayed until May 15th for the Xbox 360 and PS3, and May 29th for PC. According to Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick, the team has chosen to push Payne into May to help ensure the game becomes "the highest quality, groundbreaking entertainment experience that is expected from [his] company."

"We do not take changes to our release schedule lightly," Zelnick continued. "Max Payne 3 promises to be one of our most exciting releases to date, and we are confident that consumers will once again be amazed by Rockstar's ability to take interactive entertainment to another level."

Due to the timing of the game's delay, it would be difficult for Zelnick to take the change in any way but seriously. Max Payne's new release date will put its potential profits (expected to be somewhere in the range of $210 to $230 million) in the company's next fiscal year, meaning Take-Two will actually post a loss for 2012.

"With Max Payne 3 now slated for May, our robust line-up of upcoming releases for fiscal 2013 is even stronger," Zelnick went on to explain, "including BioShock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Spec Ops: The Line, XCOM, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and other titles yet to be announced for release that year." In case you were wondering, the "fiscal 2013" period runs from April 2012 through March 2013.

This is admittedly raw speculation, but it seems possible that the original release date was specifically chosen to sneak Max Payne 3 into Take-Two's 2012 fiscal year to prevent the company from posting a loss. Regardless of whether or not that's true, Zelnick's willingness to report a loss and give Rockstar the time they need to polish the title instead of squeezing something out prematurely is laudable.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-17-max-payne-3-release-date-delayed]

Permalink
 

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
1,001
0
0
Well Max Payne has quite the legacy to it. I'm sure Rockstar doesn't want to take it's development lightly and end up disappointing so many fans of Max, and everyone else who has been anticipating it.

Too bad it got delayed, but I hope that means the game will be even better when it's finally released.
 

Arkley

New member
Mar 12, 2009
522
0
0
Now don't get me wrong here, I'm actually really looking forward to this game and will likely buy it on release day, but...well...

Did anybody not see this coming? Was there anybody at all who saw the previously announced release date and thought "Yep, that's it then, that's when I'll be able to buy this game"?

Of course not. We all saw the "right around the corner" release date for a highly anticipated title made by studio prone to delaying goddamn everything and thought "Haha, yeah right. I'll buy this in 2014 when it actually comes out".
 

redisforever

New member
Oct 5, 2009
2,158
0
0
Having just started to play my first Rockstar game, Red Dead Redemption, if they want to delay the release to make the game better, go ahead. I trust it'll be good.
 

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
3,073
0
0
Tohuvabohu said:
Too bad it got delayed, but I hope that means the game will be even better when it's finally released.
Considering how many times it's been delayed, it better be good.
 

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
817
0
0
Waaghpowa said:
Tohuvabohu said:
Too bad it got delayed, but I hope that means the game will be even better when it's finally released.
Considering how many times it's been delayed, it better be good.
considering its rockstar they just delay it to make it better and they spend truckloads on the games so they make sure the games are good.
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
My mate won't be pleased with this although this would give him more time to upgrade his pc to run it.
 

ShaneGunWolf

New member
Jul 6, 2011
78
0
0
redisforever said:
Having just started to play my first Rockstar game, Red Dead Redemption, if they want to delay the release to make the game better, go ahead. I trust it'll be good.
WOW. Really? You've only just started playing Rockstar games? Well, welcome aboard the Rockstar train. :p I also suggest playing Grand Theft Auto IV and the two side stories that go with it. And if you want, go check out the older GTA games as well.

OT: I don't quite understand. Is it coming out May of this year or May of 2013? If the former, sweet, if latter, damn, I was lookin' forward to finishing the series sooner.
 

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
856
0
0
It's not that it was delayed, per se. It's just that the developers have toggled the slowing of time which will make them move faster in comparison to the rest of the world, but actually does make the game take longer.
 

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
4,535
3
43
Country
Australia
Please let it be better than the movie. Back to the storied greatness that was MP 1 and 2.
 

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
4,535
3
43
Country
Australia
HobbesMkii said:
It's not that it was delayed, per se. It's just that the developers have toggled the slowing of time which will make them move faster in comparison to the rest of the world, but actually does make the game take longer.
"We loved bullet time so much, we made the entire studio do it".
 

realist1990

New member
Nov 18, 2011
80
0
0
meh max payne never really did it for me, but this is one of my peeves ie extending the release date..what game developers should do is try figure out when making a game how long they think it will take and then add a year to that estimate.then if it's finished early with release it early and bask in the gratitude
 

redisforever

New member
Oct 5, 2009
2,158
0
0
ShaneGunWolf said:
redisforever said:
Having just started to play my first Rockstar game, Red Dead Redemption, if they want to delay the release to make the game better, go ahead. I trust it'll be good.
WOW. Really? You've only just started playing Rockstar games? Well, welcome aboard the Rockstar train. :p I also suggest playing Grand Theft Auto IV and the two side stories that go with it. And if you want, go check out the older GTA games as well.
Yeah, I just didn't have anything that could run the games, after the old ones, I mean the next-gen ones. I just bought a PS3 (late, I know), and I had Red Dead Redemption recommended to me by Victor Lucas (host of Reviews on the Run), and I saw it in a store, for $25. Of course, I picked it up. Next game I get will probably be GTA4, but honestly, I like the Old West more than New York. Still, if it's similar in any way, in terms of gameplay, I'm sure I'll like it.
 

JoesshittyOs

New member
Aug 10, 2011
1,965
0
0
Arkley said:
Now don't get me wrong here, I'm actually really looking forward to this game and will likely buy it on release day, but...well...

Did anybody not see this coming? Was there anybody at all who saw the previously announced release date and thought "Yep, that's it then, that's when I'll be able to buy this game"?

Of course not. We all saw the "right around the corner" release date for a highly anticipated title made by studio prone to delaying goddamn everything and thought "Haha, yeah right. I'll buy this in 2014 when it actually comes out".
I admit, I was pretty stunned when they said it was gonna be a 1st quarter year sale.
 

omicron1

New member
Mar 26, 2008
1,729
0
0
And delayed extra on PC.

*evinces complete lack of shock*

rockstar said:
Hey guys - we're bringing out this cool new game, but all the marketing is going to be front-loaded for the console release. Maybe we'll put up a few posters when the PC version is released, but in general we'll just leave it to drown and then complain about pirates.

...Where were we? Oh, yes. Buy the console version if you want to play it on time! That's the real version, after all!
 

search_rip

New member
Jan 6, 2009
249
0
0
For me is great news the game is delayed, with Mass Effect 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Silent Hill HD and Silent Hill: Downpour there are too many games in march and not enough money :S
 

Treblaine

New member
Jul 25, 2008
8,682
0
0
Wait... who is making this game now?

Is it Take Two or Rockstar? Who is the publisher and who is the developer? I thought Rockstar was a publisher who owned studios like Rockstar North or Rockstar San Diego?
 

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
527
0
0
Headline Article:
Video Game Delayed; Nobody Surprised.

Some things never change, eh?