Max Payne 3: Hoboken Blues Hits the Stands

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Max Payne 3: Hoboken Blues Hits the Stands

The second issue of Rockstar's free Max Payne 3 digital comic is now available.

It ain't easy being Max Payne. Just check out Max Payne 3: Hoboken Blues if you don't believe me. After what was by all appearances a pretty miserable childhood, Max finally discovered his talent - violence - and then, even better, the incomparable happiness that comes from true love and fatherhood. That lasted about a couple of years, after which it all fell apart, when his family, and then a few years later his partner and best friend, were massacred by a bunch of Valkyr-sucking scumbags. In the wake of the events of Max Payne 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-The-Fall/dp/B0000D12XI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339705778&sr=8-3&keywords=Max+Payne+2], presciently subtitled The Fall of Max Payne, he was forced to retire from the NYPD and was left a broken, brooding alcoholic, "drinking himself dumb in near-poverty in Hoboken."

Hoboken Blues covers a lot of post-Max Payne 2 backstory, none of which I will spoil here, and while there's no straight-up retconning at work (at least none that I noticed), I still maintain that the comic serves up a decidedly more wretched Max Payne than that of the first two games. Rather than just a normal guy having an extended run of bad luck, the Max in the comics is positively star-crossed and born to violence.

Still, it's free, it fills in a lot of the pre-Max Payne 3 blanks and, personal bias toward my beloved Max Payne franchise notwithstanding, it's pretty good. The digital edition of the Max Payne 3: Hoboken Blues is up now at rockstargames.com [http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/comics], or you're a serious fan and live within reasonable proximity to a decent comic shop, you can try your luck at scoring one of the limited print editions.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ugh, it's gotten to a point where I feel sorry for max I just want to slit his throat to end his payne and misery.

...When did Max turn into a White Knight?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Cool; color me intrigued.

Read both issues. I've always really liked Max, but this just makes his whole sob-story even WORSE. Feel totally sorry for the guy. :(

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I liked it better when Max looked like Sam Lake. I miss the sardonic smirk...and the grimace.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The firearms expert in me can't get past the fact that, on the cover, the handgun in Max's left hand is ejecting shells in the wrong direction.

octafish said:
I liked it better when Max looked like Sam Lake. I miss the sardonic smirk...and the grimace.
Yeah, me too. He just looks... wrong, now.