Max Payne: I couldn't pun this any further.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
quiet_samurai said:
Maybe because you bought a game that was released in 2000 or 2001?
Err... that has nothing to do with it. Christ, when was Myst/Legend of Zelda/Starcraft released? Games can be old, yet good. This one isn't, at least not in my opinion.
I'll go and say you bought the game in the wrong platform. :p I played both PC and the PS2 version and I gotta say...the game in the PS2 version is better.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
scotth266 said:
quiet_samurai said:
Err... that has nothing to do with it. Christ, when was Myst/Legend of Zelda/Starcraft released? Games can be old, yet good. This one isn't, at least not in my opinion.
I'll go and say you bought the game in the wrong platform. :p I played both PC and the PS2 version and I gotta say...the game in the PS2 version is better.
Hmmm. That might explain it. Perhaps they broke it while porting it to the PC. I mean, other than the sound issue. Also, is the sequel worth a swing? I almost hate to ask, but my integrity forbids that I instantly dismiss it... after all, it might suprise me.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
oliveira8 said:
scotth266 said:
quiet_samurai said:
Hmmm. That might explain it. Perhaps they broke it while porting it to the PC. I mean, other than the sound issue. Also, is the sequel worth a swing? I almost hate to ask, but my integrity forbids that I instantly dismiss it... after all, it might suprise me.
Its pretty much the same really.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Its pretty much the same really.
Really? Nuts. I thought that it still looked interesting, and Max had a better shirt on... and I did want to wrap up those ANNOYING LOOSE ENDS that they dangled in front of me. But I guess that I'll trust you and stay away from MP2.

EDIT: Also, that was REALLY fast.

Blood_Lined

Mar 31, 2009
Max Payne is OLD by now, and today's standards won't allow these things to exist in the quality games of today, but it was good back then, and I personally enjoyed the games. I also hear that a 3rd max payne is coming out soon, if so, I hope the title will meet with the standards of today.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I think your missing the fact that Max Payne is satirical. The entire thing was made to make fun of film noir. I loved Max Payne (oh and is $3 not $10 so wherever you got that price you got thoroughly taken for a ride). I didn't care that it was difficult because of a couple of flawed gameplay mechanics, it was one of the first of its kind: the John Woo-style shooter. Oh, and being the first game to implement bullet-time you could give it a break or some issues with the mechanics.
It would help to have a sense of humor about the situation too.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
It seems from what I read that you might actually enjoy Max Payne 2. The pace of combat is completely different, and while you're pretty much guaranteed to at least get hurt when fighting 4 or more enemies at once, fighting 2 of them is easy and looks good. It solved every problem I had with the first one: painkillers are quicker and heal for more, and bullet time was completely improved (it regenerates over time, shootdodging doesn't consume it, and instead of slowing everything down, it only slows things around Max while he moves normally. The best part is that the more enemies you kill, the more obvious the effect will be, so instead of kill-painkiller-kill-painkiller, it's more killingspree-painkiller-kilingspree-killingspree).

Jul 9, 2008
scotth266 said:
cainx10a said:
And also, it's a damn all game, so by today's standards, it would be below average. But for it's time, it was a classic, that "stayed on our hdd like tar" (Random PC Gamer - as in the magazine PC Gamer, dude)
That's my reason for reviewing it: I wanted to see how it stacks up today. Some games can still be a blast to play, ages into the future. Max Payne... not so much.

pantsoffdanceoff said:
Another game that downloads off steam with [b/]severe[/b] problems: Dues Ex.
Huh. Funnily enough, that was also on my list of stuff to grab and review. Who'da thunk? Other cheap goodies I intend on doing when I have the time: Prince of Persia 1+2, Splinter Cell, and The Longest Journey.
For the first part, true. No matter how they seem at the time, only a few games can still be fun (I was actually marveling recently at how fun Half Life still is).

As for the second, I do definitely recommend doing Splinter Cell (so long as you can ignore the propaganda inherent in any Tom Clancy game), it's one of my favorite series of all time. I'd recommend doing Chaos Theory, far and away the best of the series.

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
scotth266 said:
cainx10a said:
And also, it's a damn all game, so by today's standards, it would be below average. But for it's time, it was a classic, that "stayed on our hdd like tar" (Random PC Gamer - as in the magazine PC Gamer, dude)
That's my reason for reviewing it: I wanted to see how it stacks up today. Some games can still be a blast to play, ages into the future. Max Payne... not so much.

pantsoffdanceoff said:
Huh. Funnily enough, that was also on my list of stuff to grab and review. Who'da thunk? Other cheap goodies I intend on doing when I have the time: Prince of Persia 1+2, Splinter Cell, and The Longest Journey.
what're you talking about? the game is still fun to play. I popped it in a few weeks ago and had a blast. Max Payne 1 and 2 were my games back in the summer.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Accurses! My post was lost to the dreaded lords of 404! Do it again...

Holy crow, a lot of people responded while I went out for a sandwich. Perhaps this will become a part of standard post-review posting procedures :D

Blood_Lined said:
Max Payne is OLD by now, and today's standards won't allow these things to exist in the quality games of today, but it was good back then, and I personally enjoyed the games. I also hear that a 3rd max payne is coming out soon, if so, I hope the title will meet with the standards of today.
From what I saw of it(box art), it looks very grim and moody. Sort of felt like the Splinter Cell Double Agent box art, but more rugged.

Fightgarr said:
I think your missing the fact that Max Payne is satirical. The entire thing was made to make fun of film noir. I loved Max Payne (oh and is $3 not $10 so wherever you got that price you got thoroughly taken for a ride). I didn't care that it was difficult because of a couple of flawed gameplay mechanics, it was one of the first of its kind: the John Woo-style shooter. Oh, and being the first game to implement bullet-time you could give it a break or some issues with the mechanics.
It would help to have a sense of humor about the situation too.
I grabbed it off Steam. I already mentioned that I know that it is satire, I just don't think it's that great at it. And I won't let it off easily for being the first Woo bullet fest game. That would be like forgiving Super Mario Bros. if it had been designed in the fashion of I Wanna Be The Guy.

That having been said, I'm glad that it pioneered something. I'm not gonna go easy on it though :D And I do have a sense of humor... try looking at my other stuff.

It's good to be semi-harsh on me though: it helps me realize the flaws I've got, so next time 'round the bend I can fix them.

Clashero said:
Hmmm... I'm actually considering playing the sequel. It looks like it could have some more appeal to me with your description... I guess I'll find a demo and stick it in my schedule somewhere so I can make a choice whether I will get it.

NoMoreSanity said:
Good review. And I agree, you do die a lot, it became to the point I just stopped playing my rented copy it was so frustrating.
You must have appreciated the last picture then. I searched Google for a picture of Max just dying in the game, but couldn't find anything. Then I searched for F9. That was on the first page, as part of a Toontown manual, of all things. Oh sweet irony, she loves me so...

devildog1170 said:
what're you talking about? the game is still fun to play. I popped it in a few weeks ago and had a blast. Max Payne 1 and 2 were my games back in the summer.
I have reasons for my criticisms. Read the review for more info :D

orannis62 said:
As for the second, I do definitely recommend doing Splinter Cell (so long as you can ignore the propaganda inherent in any Tom Clancy game), it's one of my favorite series of all time. I'd recommend doing Chaos Theory, far and away the best of the series.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just bumped SC back a slot in my current plans to review. It was a coin toss :D

That having been said: would you guys like me to stick my schedule for reviews in a spoiler tag at the bottom of my review? Then you can all bully me into doing things in a certain order, and I can get a nice feeling of giving the community what it wants. Granted, I'm not gonna be your slaves, but I'd like to give you all some input on what gets done.

Also: HOLY COW A LOT OF PEOPLE VEIWED THIS. Sorry for being so slack-jawed, it's my first review thread getting this many veiws... and all my old ones too!

Jul 9, 2008
scotth266 said:
orannis62 said:
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just bumped SC back a slot in my current plans to review. It was a coin toss :D

That having been said: would you guys like me to stick my schedule for reviews in a spoiler tag at the bottom of my review? Then you can all bully me into doing things in a certain order, and I can get a nice feeling of giving the community what it wants. Granted, I'm not gonna be your slaves, but I'd like to give you all some input on what gets done.
Understandable, just so long as you do it at some point. I like it, but I'm curious to get hear some objective criticisms of it, maybe some things I missed or didn't care about.

Might as well put in a schedule, couldn't hurt. Worst come to worse, you can always delay if you can't meet it.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
orannis62 said:
Understandable, just so long as you do it at some point. I like it, but I'm curious to get hear some objective criticisms of it, maybe some things I missed or didn't care about.

Might as well put in a schedule, couldn't hurt. Worst come to worse, you can always delay if you can't meet it.
Don't worry, it only got bumped back one slot. It was a toss up between Braid, and SC with Hitman. And I'm not really concerned about meeting a schedule, as I do things on a semi-weekly basis, and college is wrapping up here, so I'll have more time than usual soon :D

I'll post up a simple schedule in just a minute.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, when this game first came out for the consoles, I had absolutely no desire to play this game. But recently, I was asked to do a game review for a class on Max Payne (I kid you not). So I bought the PS2 version of it for $5. And I don't think it was worth even that. Now I will admit that I couldn't maintain what little interest I had in this game to get past part 1, so unless there's a magical "make the game better" button hidden somewhere further into the game, I will assume that the whole game is shit based on the first few hours.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
Cor's blood. I remember playing Max Payne back in '01 when it first came out on PS2. Good times. The matrix was still a new thing and bullet-time had never been done before. Alone, it wasn't all THAT great, but with my cousin playing too we had more fun with that game than a barrel of monkeys with a bushel of, erm... female monkeys!

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
scotth266 said:
cainx10a said:

pantsoffdanceoff said:
Dude, try the second game. Waaaay better. And the story is wicked too.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Well... No, no it didn't. I wouldn't call it shit though, rather I'd call it frustrating and not worth people's money these days (save for the ever-prescent nostalgia value).

songnar said:
Cor's blood. I remember playing Max Payne back in '01 when it first came out on PS2. Good times. The matrix was still a new thing and bullet-time had never been done before. Alone, it wasn't all THAT great, but with my cousin playing too we had more fun with that game than a barrel of monkeys with a bushel of, erm... female monkeys!
Falcon's punch, I remember those days, when I was seven years younger and much more foolish.

I could see this being an amusing group game actually. FUCK! I died! Bob, your turn... FUCK!

Also, schedule for future reviews is up! Have fun with it, and feel free to post reorganized versions so I can see what people want to get done first.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Aries_Split said:
Dude, try the second game. Waaaay better. And the story is wicked too.
Curses! Now the demo for the sequel goes on the queue for sure... Just work me to the bone why don't you :D

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Gormourn said:
I loved Max Payne, at least the first game (haven't played the later ones)

Good review though... By the way, I'm pretty sure that when I had it on a DVD back in early 2000's, it had no sound bug.
I have to admit I don't know much about the sound bug's origin: all I know is that several people on the Steam Forums commented on how it was present in the CD version as well. Hence, I get irritated for getting a "busted" game when the devs have had plenty of time to fix it.