Max Payne: I couldn't pun this any further.

CptRumGuy

Jul 31, 2008
While most of your criticisms are certainly understandable, it wasn't much of a deal-breaker for me. I agree with what was said earlier: it just doesn't work on a PC. It was definitely rough around the edges design-wise, I'll give you that. But I still had fun with it. You have to admit though, that was one of the coolest/most satisfying boss kills at the end. Even if it wasn't particularly difficult.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CptRumGuy said:
While most of your criticisms are certainly understandable, it wasn't much of a deal-breaker for me. I agree with what was said earlier: it just doesn't work on a PC. It was definitely rough around the edges design-wise, I'll give you that. But I still had fun with it. You have to admit though, that was one of the coolest/most satisfying boss kills at the end. Even if it wasn't particularly difficult.
Huh. That certainly is true... Thinking back on it, killing that *insert derogative term here* was very satisfying.

I keep hearing the argument being made that the console versions are better, in which case I have to say sorry for not mentioning early on that I was playing the PC version. I just thought it was kinda obvious with the last picture and all.

megalomania

Apr 14, 2009
I know its annoying to have to patch a game before you even play it, but Max Payne is getting to the age where you might be having backwards compatibility if you are running a new system. So it might be a little presumptive to blame the developers for not optimising the game for hardware that wouldn't be out until 8 years after the release date...

Nice review though.

James Cassidy

Dec 4, 2008
You think paying ten bucks is harsh? I wonder how much you would ***** when you realize that back in 2001 people payed $50 for it.

Max Payne is a game for people that look the norm. It is a game based on mind fuck and cryptic metaphors. The story is deep and if you think it is crap, I am afraid that you don;t get the deep impact it has

There is also some comedy in it like Vini Gognetti who makes me laugh every time. Also, shoot the speaker in the elevator in Luigi's Laundry and you will hear Max say "Thank you."

It is one of the better stories I have seen for a video game.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm Max Payne!

Do you have a laxative?

I'm very constipated.
Buwhat? I think that's funny, but for some reason I can't get the joke.

megalomania said:
I know its annoying to have to patch a game before you even play it, but Max Payne is getting to the age where you might be having backwards compatibility if you are running a new system. So it might be a little presumptive to blame the developers for not optimising the game for hardware that wouldn't be out until 8 years after the release date...

Nice review though.
Glad that you liked it. As for the patch, I'm just wondering as to why it's been on Steam for so long without an update, or at least including the patch files with the install.

James Cassidy said:
My thoughts on the story have been pretty controversial for some reason. Oh well, it's just my opinion.

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
scotth266 said:
Accurses! My post was lost to the dreaded lords of 404! Do it again...

Holy crow, a lot of people responded while I went out for a sandwich. Perhaps this will become a part of standard post-review posting procedures :D

Blood_Lined said:
Max Payne is OLD by now, and today's standards won't allow these things to exist in the quality games of today, but it was good back then, and I personally enjoyed the games. I also hear that a 3rd max payne is coming out soon, if so, I hope the title will meet with the standards of today.
From what I saw of it(box art), it looks very grim and moody. Sort of felt like the Splinter Cell Double Agent box art, but more rugged.

Fightgarr said:
I think your missing the fact that Max Payne is satirical. The entire thing was made to make fun of film noir. I loved Max Payne (oh and is $3 not $10 so wherever you got that price you got thoroughly taken for a ride). I didn't care that it was difficult because of a couple of flawed gameplay mechanics, it was one of the first of its kind: the John Woo-style shooter. Oh, and being the first game to implement bullet-time you could give it a break or some issues with the mechanics.
It would help to have a sense of humor about the situation too.
I grabbed it off Steam. I already mentioned that I know that it is satire, I just don't think it's that great at it. And I won't let it off easily for being the first Woo bullet fest game. That would be like forgiving Super Mario Bros. if it had been designed in the fashion of I Wanna Be The Guy.

That having been said, I'm glad that it pioneered something. I'm not gonna go easy on it though :D And I do have a sense of humor... try looking at my other stuff.

It's good to be semi-harsh on me though: it helps me realize the flaws I've got, so next time 'round the bend I can fix them.

Clashero said:
Hmmm... I'm actually considering playing the sequel. It looks like it could have some more appeal to me with your description... I guess I'll find a demo and stick it in my schedule somewhere so I can make a choice whether I will get it.

NoMoreSanity said:
Good review. And I agree, you do die a lot, it became to the point I just stopped playing my rented copy it was so frustrating.
You must have appreciated the last picture then. I searched Google for a picture of Max just dying in the game, but couldn't find anything. Then I searched for F9. That was on the first page, as part of a Toontown manual, of all things. Oh sweet irony, she loves me so...

devildog1170 said:
what're you talking about? the game is still fun to play. I popped it in a few weeks ago and had a blast. Max Payne 1 and 2 were my games back in the summer.
I have reasons for my criticisms. Read the review for more info :D

orannis62 said:
As for the second, I do definitely recommend doing Splinter Cell (so long as you can ignore the propaganda inherent in any Tom Clancy game), it's one of my favorite series of all time. I'd recommend doing Chaos Theory, far and away the best of the series.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just bumped SC back a slot in my current plans to review. It was a coin toss :D

That having been said: would you guys like me to stick my schedule for reviews in a spoiler tag at the bottom of my review? Then you can all bully me into doing things in a certain order, and I can get a nice feeling of giving the community what it wants. Granted, I'm not gonna be your slaves, but I'd like to give you all some input on what gets done.

Also: HOLY COW A LOT OF PEOPLE VEIWED THIS. Sorry for being so slack-jawed, it's my first review thread getting this many veiws... and all my old ones too!
I read the whole review, and you just seemed to cry about it being a game crime noir and that it was tough.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
devildog1170 said:
I read the whole review, and you just seemed to cry about it being a game crime noir and that it was tough.
First off: no need to quote the whole post to get my attention. It just wastes space. Not being a forum commado here, just some friendly advice :D

My complaint was that it was UNREASONABLY tough. I can deal with a challenge. This was more like a MASSACRE.

As for the noir bit: Like I've said in all the other posts before this one, the story was BAD. No matter what standpoint you look at it from, that's my opinion. If it was going for a noir storyline by itself, it could've used Law & Order plots tied together for better effect.

But whatever. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Another game that downloads off steam with [b/]severe[/b] problems: Dues Ex.
I remember liking Max Payne, maybe it was just the fact it was my first M game so i felt badass. Imma gonna play it now (if I can find the CD) and see if this is the nostalgia talking.
You've been having problems with Deus Ex? What sort? When I got it off of steam, it ran fine.

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
scotth266 said:
devildog1170 said:
First off: no need to quote the whole post to get my attention. It just wastes space. Not being a forum commado here, just some friendly advice :D

My complaint was that it was UNREASONABLY tough. I can deal with a challenge. This was more like a MASSACRE.

As for the noir bit: Like I've said in all the other posts before this one, the story was BAD. No matter what standpoint you look at it from, that's my opinion. If it was going for a noir storyline by itself, it could've used Law & Order plots tied together for better effect.

But whatever. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
well then your opinion sucks ass. the game was not unreasonably tough. sure, it was tougher than today's game likes gears of war or killzone, but it wasnt a massacre. and the plot was fine for the game.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
devildog1170 said:
well then your opinion sucks ass. the game was not unreasonably tough. sure, it was tougher than today's game likes gears of war or killzone, but it wasnt a massacre. and the plot was fine for the game.
It's nice to see that you tolerate other's opinions so well. In case you didn't note, others also seemed to have trouble with the difficulty, so it's not just me. And I've been over the plot bit 10 times already. I thought it was bad. I call it like I see it.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Liverandbacon said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
I remember liking Max Payne, maybe it was just the fact it was my first M game so i felt badass. Imma gonna play it now (if I can find the CD) and see if this is the nostalgia talking.
You've been having problems with Deus Ex? What sort? When I got it off of steam, it ran fine.
1st Install: Can't change weapons
2nd Install: No sound
3rd Install: Really byted sound
4th Install: Can't Change Weapons (again)
5th Install: I got it to work.
After all that though I really didn't give the game a chance.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Liverandbacon said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
1st Install: Can't change weapons
2nd Install: No sound
3rd Install: Really byted sound
4th Install: Can't Change Weapons (again)
5th Install: I got it to work.
After all that though I really didn't give the game a chance.
Shit... sounds like the gaunlet I ran through to get City Of Heroes to run :D

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
scotth266 said:
Samurai Goomba said:
Good review. I rarely actually sit down and read whole reviews on this website, so it speaks well of your writing talents that you made me care enough to finish your critique of Max Payne, a game which I had planned to play. I'll probably still pick it up on the Xbox, but I'm not expecting the best game in the world or anything.

Man, I need to review something... If only I had enough time to properly put a review together. Been forever since my first review. Oh well, college life.
Thanks for reading the whole thing! I honestly think I've gotten a lot better at this since the Mirror's Edge review, which was my first. As for reviewing time/schedule stuff, I just write up one of these whenever the time presents itself. Once a week is a nice feel for my schedule: it gives me a break between games while still keeping things fresh in my mind. Also I have time for serious school stuff :D

GoblinOnFire said:
Ok, where to start.
Storyboard Max versus in-game Max: What I meant: Other reviewers have noted the same; Max don't look the same.. This was not meant as critique, rather: "I agree, and others agree with you too".

Next: your gaming skills = my word against yours, really. Your gaming experience with MP must differ a lot from my experience with it. I loved the game and didn't find it extremely hard at all. Challenging, yes. Too hard? No. but then again: maybe we approach games differently.. How much do you enjoy quick time events?

Ok, what else? Oh yes! slo-mo jumps does the whole game, yes. Without that ability, this game would be a mediocre 3rd person shooter.

Finally: Did I annoy you when questioning your gaming skill? REALLY??? wow... I really didn't see that one coming. I laughed when I read "It always annoys them". so, you do this professionally? Really? wow again! I humbly apologize, oh great reviewer who's skill I shall never ever question again.

Get a grip, or buy a console.
Well then, where to start. Firstly, I have a console. Two, in fact.

I'm glad that you agree with me that the storyboard Max and the game Max look different. That wasn't really a criticism of mine as much a curiosity though.

Yes, this game would be worse without the slow-mo, because that is (or was) it's unique thing that made it stand out, however the mechanic is badly implemented. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if the time-slowing gimmick wasn't such a big part of the game, but since it is central to Max Payne's gameplay, the whole thing starts to sag under pressure.

Oh, and quick-time events are ok, I can handle all but the most insane.

You're allowed to question me, humble peon. When I write a review, I am a critic of sorts, therefore if you ask me why I dislike something, I give you reasons. Hence why I try to respond to everyone who comments on my review threads and asks why I wrote something, like I am here. (PS, the first sentence was a joke. Not actually mocking you.)

As for my gaming skill... well, let's just say that about the only game series that consistently flummoxes me in difficulty terms would be Guitar Hero on Expert. Hell, Hard was hard enough boys. I don't need to wear my fingers to stubs...

So yeah. If you don't agree with me, that's your perogative. However, insulting me was not the way to go about trying to get me to change my opinion.
Actually, they really don't look that different. They're modeled by the same game, Sam Lake

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
devildog1170 said:
Actually, they really don't look that different. They're modeled by the same game, Sam Lake
What are you talking about?

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
scotth266 said:
devildog1170 said:
What are you talking about?
Whoa my grammar just failed. I'm saying is, they can look different at some times, but they should look the same since Max Payne is modeled by Same Lake in the game and the graphic novel.