May the 4th be with you! Your favorite star wars games?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Still think EA Battlefront is no where near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

And considering most movie liscenced games end up being trash, EA Battlefront is a godsend compared to the likes of Teres Kasai.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously it's Kinect Star Wars for Xbox 360. duh!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The Old Republic series

Jedi Knight

Shadows of the Empire was a neat one, but definitely aged

Pod Racer also had no right being as decent as it was

EA really needs to amp up its Star Wars department and branch out with its titles (though admittedly Disney no doubt has certain criteria that need to be fulfilled). We need a Star Wars sandbox game or a decent single player shooter.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
CaitSeith said:
Dogfighting in SPAAAAAAAAAACE!

Right from the DOOM-era of FPS!

Yes, absolutely the best. The original Dark Forces was the best of its line, because the others tried to make the player a Jedi, and it killed a good shooter franchise. And nobody ever did Starfighter combat in the Star Wars franchise better than the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, the Rogue games were very pale rail-shooter imitations.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Squilookle said:
Don't believe the people who tell you Shadows of the Empire is good. It's really not...
I love Shadows of The Empire and have a lot of fond memories of the game, but yeah it has aged like milk. Such is the fate of many N64 games and early 3D games in general.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I probably have a stronger emotional connection to the Knights of the Old Republic characters and stories than I do with any of the actual films.

I haven't played Jedi Academy in a long while, but I think it's some of the most fun I've had with hectic melee combat in a game. Dual-wielding lightsabers and being thrown into the middle of a group sith all using different force-abilities was barrels of fun.

Star Wars Bounty Hunter was pretty underrated. Throwing in all sorts of tools like jetpacks, and flamethrowers, and ID scanners, and letting you roam around the city looking for bounties all felt really creative back when I played it.

And the old Star Wars Battlefront 2 was a classic. Just simple pure multiplayer goodness with tons of variety. I weep for what the franchise has become.

Tank207 said:
I love Shadows of The Empire and have a lot of fond memories of the game, but yeah it has aged like milk. Such is the fate of many N64 games and early 3D games in general.
I actually think some of the vehicle sections hold up alright considering how old it is, but yeah, the general run-and-gun shooting is pretty rough... I don't think I even managed to beat it when I was a kid.

I kept getting trapped in that sewer level, which was almost nightmare inducing as a wee lad.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
jademunky said:
Tie Fighter

Just an awesome game and probably the only SW game that successfully made the Empire look sympathetic. Like you really were this well-intentioned military force that just wanted to bring a semblance of the rule-of-law to the galaxy and why can't those rebels/secessionists/pirates just understand that?

Great moments too like when your briefing specifically warns you against issuing any orders to Darth Vader.
I always saw their mission briefings as propagandistic (it was an interesting contrast with the ones in X-Wing). And then getting invited to the Emperor's Secret Order and ranking up in it was a great part of the game (and that sweet tattoo was a hit at parties).

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I've played nearly every Star Wars game from SNES forward, and almost all of them are entertaining, but my highlights are:

The X-Wing/Tie Fighter space combat sim series - all of them. The graphics continued to improve, the ability in Alliance to jump between sectors was interesting if underused, and this is a genre that has been woefully unrepresented lately.

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast - the improvements from the first Jedi Knight to this one were outstanding!

Rogue Squadron - though slightly simpler than the X-Wing series, I enjoyed the switch to ground based objectives. It was just a joy to play, though sometime frustrating when trying to get gold medals on every stage.

Super Empire Strikes Back - I don't know why, but I enjoyed this entry the most out of the SNES games.

Star Wars Arcade - This is the old wire-frame graphics game depicting the attack on the Death Star where you'd shoot the fireballs coming at you and destroy TIEs and Laser Towers until you managed to fly through the trench and blow up the station. Then you'd repeat, with higher difficulty. I loved this game as a little kid and still enjoy it in some classic arcades to this day.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Palindromemordnilap said:
Empire at War. Because overrunning your enemy with a legion of AT-ATs is never not fun
...Spoken like someone who never played Force Commander. More to the point, spoken like someone who never played Rebellion. Empire at War was little more than a Command and Conquer reskin (though I will admit, being on the other side of a Dark Trooper attack is a LOT more fun). Rebellion was where it was at.

Blood Brain Barrier said:
The best is probably Wing Commander, followed by Master of Orion. Can't think of too many others I like.
Well, insofar as Wing Commander 3 featured Mark Hamill flying a starfighter down a long trench to fire a powerful bomb at an inordinately large enemy installation, I suppose it can count as a Star Wars game. I'm not seeing the Master of Orion connection, though.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Recusant said:
Palindromemordnilap said:
Empire at War. Because overrunning your enemy with a legion of AT-ATs is never not fun
...Spoken like someone who never played Force Commander. More to the point, spoken like someone who never played Rebellion. Empire at War was little more than a Command and Conquer reskin (though I will admit, being on the other side of a Dark Trooper attack is a LOT more fun). Rebellion was where it was at.

Blood Brain Barrier said:
The best is probably Wing Commander, followed by Master of Orion. Can't think of too many others I like.
Well, insofar as Wing Commander 3 featured Mark Hamill flying a starfighter down a long trench to fire a powerful bomb at an inordinately large enemy installation, I suppose it can count as a Star Wars game. I'm not seeing the Master of Orion connection, though.
We're talking about star wars games, lower case. Not Star Wars games. If Master of Orion is not an example of a game involving warring stars, I don't know what is.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Star Wars for Famicom is still one of the best, most ridiculous [https://kotaku.com/5842749/the-horror-and-the-glory-of-japans-1987-star-wars-video-game/] of all the Star Wars games. Who hasn't wanted to bash in giant scorpion Darth Vader? [https://youtu.be/gFnueE9yBcA?t=2m38s]

Between platforming levels it actually had some decent enough space shooting stuff that was interesting, if not a bit difficult.