McCain Campaign Cheap-Shots D&D Players

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
McCain Campaign Cheap-Shots D&D Players

John McCain's Presidential campaign took a rather harsh and completely random swipe at RPG fans recently, somehow linking them to questions about a story McCain has told regarding his time as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

During a talk at The Gulag Archipelago [http://www.saddleback.com/], the account of his life in a Soviet labor camp, have also been raised.

In a message posted on the campaign's web site, McCain aide Michael Goldfarb made it quite clear where he believed these questions were coming from, and what he thought of them, although how he came to this conclusion remains entirely unclear. "It may be typical of the pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons crowd to disparage a fellow countryman's memory of war from the comfort of mom's basement," he said, "but most Americans have the humility and gratitude to respect and learn from the memories of men who suffered on behalf of others."

Regardless of the veracity of the tale, Goldfarb's out-of-nowhere cheap shot at YouTube [http://www.wizards.com/dnd/].

via: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/08/19/mccain-campaign-slams-quotpro-obama-dungeons-amp-dragons-crowdquot]

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
This from a man who thinks he's a war hero.

He was shot down 5 times, that doesn't make him a war hero, just a really shit pilot.

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
unfortunately for him. a lot of people who are of voting age grew up in the era when D&D was popular and new. they played it, and many people still play it today. (not me, god no.) but being a gamer, i am also offended by this statement, and feel that unless there's another colossal F*ck-up like in 2000, he won't win this election.

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
He's lost the Nerd vote already, but this kind of shit might just slightly help him with the Ignorant Jackass vote.

aRealGuitarHero707

May 19, 2008
This is just another propaganda tool
they're trying to associate Obama with D&D players which would apparently be a negative thing for the average voters out there

anNIALLator

Jul 24, 2008
Ha ha, i love the 'McCain Experience' bit in Family Guy, Peter's at a carnival and sees 'The McCain Experience' ride - he gets in a bamboo cage and a guy pokes him with a stick and he cries going 'i wanna be the president!'

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The man is an arsehole, what can you do?

Unfortunately he'll probably be the next president, as much as the press seems to think otherwise, I can't see the whole of the Mid-west voting for a Democrat, never mind for a black Democrat.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
sammyfreak post=7.68928.644183 said:
Wait! What would the D&D community have to do with this?
Apparently only D&D players have blogs in the mind of McCain and his buddies.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
While I think the campaign strategy of tying your opponent to 'unsavory' pop culture references is interesting, Goldfarb is about twenty years late on the D&D villification train.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Ok, so firstly McCain didnt even say this (he has never played computer games, or D&D). Secondly, the majority of the 'people' ridicule us D&D gamers, so STFU and GTFO. Oh, but now the dems can get another voter block? yeah right, I dont know if anyone really knows this. But the majority of peeps that still play D&D vote Libritarian, sorry.

McCain and his peeps can say what they want, it's a free country. I am a D&D gamer, still, and I will still be voting for McCain.

"This from a man who thinks he's a war hero.He was shot down 5 times, that doesn't make him a war hero, just a really shit pilot."

^Coming from someone who hasnt had to give up anything in his life? Thats rich!

How about you dems try to beat his politics, oh wait, you have to get some yourself first!

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.68928.644219 said:
The man is an arsehole, what can you do?

Unfortunately he'll probably be the next president, as much as the press seems to think otherwise, I can't see the whole of the Mid-west voting for a Republican, never mind for a black Republican.
wow. you're a bit off there. Obama is a Democrat. McArsehole is a Republican. and the mid-west likes republicans...cept this prick.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Bretty post=7.68928.644298 said:
McCain and his peeps can say what they want, it's a free country. I am a D&D gamer, still, and I will still be voting for McCain.
My condolences.

As for the rest, well, a gaming forum's not the best place for nuanced political debate so I'll keep to myself. (Besides, as a danged furriner I don't get to bet on your quaint horseraces.)

-- Steve

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
But the majority of peeps that still play D&D vote Libritarian, sorry.
I think we need to introduce new legislation regarding our (or your) democratic institutions: "Before you can vote for it, you gotta be able to spell it."

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
Nobody on that campaign seems to think before they act. I worked on Texas Governer Rick Perry's campaign for a while (boo, yes I know) and part of my job was to edit every statement that idiot made before he said it. McCain is running for president and even the people working for him can't do anything without insulting anyone (such as Paris Hilton)

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Malygris post=7.68928.644337 said:
But the majority of peeps that still play D&D vote Libritarian, sorry.
I think we need to introduce new legislation regarding our (or your) democratic institutions: "Before you can vote for it, you gotta be able to spell it."
Sorry I think your story is nothing, LOL.

Oh and critique on a gamer site from a person that couldn't make it as an actual reporter, LOL.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Bretty post=7.68928.644364 said:
Sorry I think your story is nothing, LOL.

Oh and critique on a gamer site from a person that couldn't make it as an actual reporter, LOL.
LOLerskates. Like really? LOL. The astroturfers are, like, seriously busy I see. Gag me with a spoon... *hair flip*

I will say this about American politics... man, you guys just can't stay away from the attack ads can you? No wonder you don't trust your elected officials; they all get accused of being subhuman monsters so much that there's always a notable fraction of the populace convinced that the other guys just voted in Jeffery Dahlmer's understudy.

-- Steve

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
If I was american (and old enough), I would vote obama, when asked if he has ever took cannabis and answered yes, they asked him if he inhaled, he said "that was the point", A TRUE LEADER TO YOU ALL, and it would also end alot of redneck jokes if people made such a cool mane president, because that is one smart choice.