McDonald's Training Employees With Nintendo

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
McDonald's Training Employees With Nintendo

The Nintendo DS is on its way to becoming more of an educational tool than a gaming handheld, starting with the fast food industry.

Hot on the heels of the news that Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto wants the DS to be widely used in schools [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99289-Miyamoto-Focusing-on-Getting-DS-into-Schools], Nikkei is reporting that McDonalds will be using the Nintendo DS to train its employees as well. McDonalds plans to put an average of two DSs in all 3,700 of its restaurants located in Japan later this year.

The McDonalds training program being developed for the DS is called "eSmart," which is suitably boring as I'm sure nobody wants it to be conceived as a game. Frying french and making Quarter Pounders is something that must be taken very seriously. eSmart will cost McDonalds around $2 million to implement.

Unfortunately, there is no information on exactly how the training software will work. I'm imagining that McDonalds is simply repurposing Cooking Mama and adding its logo. Because so many people in Japan are familiar with the Nintendo DS system, McDonalds believes that eSmart will cut training time in half and make it more appealing.

Ideally, it'll be easy to exchange the cartridge in the DS training systems so employees can play Dragon Quest IX while pretending they're learning how to properly assemble a Big Mac. eSmart could have unforeseen consequences on the productivity of Japanese McDonald's workers if so, but at least it would make working at McDonald's a little bit more fun.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/21/mcdonalds_ds_training/]

TehKnifeh

Custard Connoisseur
Dec 26, 2008
You have got to be kidding me? While you are at it why not repurpose Phoenix Wright for attorney training where every so often you shout "Objection!" at room full of strangers...

I will never understand the Japanese

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can hardly imagine how this will have any practical use...but, leave it to the japanese to come up with the ideas!

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't had a McDonald's in years, and not even wanted one until now. Damn you Big Mac picture. Damn you.

OT: I can definitely see it working if implemented properly. The average employee is the perfect age, and it could easily be quite intuitive.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I can imagine the next headline. Nintendo training surgeons with "Trauma Center" video game. Seriously, the DS is becoming something of Swiss Army Knife.

PiggyGamer

Jul 22, 2009
Maybe it'll be more like a semi-interactive history of the business, its achievements and goals, and more wordy stuff like that. I don't really see how a patty flipping simulator would be in any way a good idea.
Maybe a "How to Interact With Customers" minigame or something...

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
TehKnifeh said:
You have got to be kidding me? While you are at it why not repurpose Phoenix Wright for attorney training where every so often you shout "Objection!" at room full of strangers...

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist: http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3770941

Yeah, it's a silly idea.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
TehKnifeh said:

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist: http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3770941

Yeah, it's a silly idea.
Oh god that was great.
I applaud you my good man.

OT:......wow, the i though the DS had many uses but...this might be pushing it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think Nintendo is getting a little over-enthusiastic here. I'm not sure if it's worse that Nintendo is acting like this is possible, or that someone is willing to pay millions of dollars to try this.

Also it's unfair that they have Dragon Quest IX and the US does not. :p

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I refuse to believe McDonald's staff are trained. Morelike enslaved.
I worked at McDonald's for a year. They had a computer that had some really bad flash animations that explained how to do a specific task, then it had some quizzes on the animation. It was very dull. Now that I think about it, no body learned anything from that computer. Everyone just learned by training from other employees.

It's been two years since I worked there, so I don't know if that is still there. I'm guessing it is.

ccdistancerunner

Sep 11, 2008
I work for McDonalds and I can tell you that it's not going to do shit. That is one of the lamest ideas I have ever heard.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Austichar said:
Tap here to flip burger! Tap here to flip burger again!
They stopped flipping them eons ago. I'd imagine it would be more along the lines of, "Tap here to realize you have no future."

TehKnifeh

Custard Connoisseur
Dec 26, 2008
TehKnifeh said:

Yeah, it's a silly idea.
I think thats the first time I've almost fallen of my chair laughing :D

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
TehKnifeh said:

Yeah, it's a silly idea.
This

Meh, It might help.