ME2 : Morinth - i don't get it

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
I'm aware that it's Skyrim's moment of glory, but whattahell.

Just finished ME2 (i'm trying to catch up with some games i couldn't play earlier).

Without spoilering too much...

There's this moment when Sheppard must choose between Morinth and Samara. Latter is loyal companion for some time and former is practically stranger to him - Shep meets her only a few minutes before Greato Choico.

Well, i don't get it...

Could somebody explain it to me, give me one logical argument for replacing Samara with Morinth other than "nicer outfit", or "i wanna be as bad as possible" ?

I fail to see any, and i can't simply walk past by it. :)

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Yeah, true, picking Morinth over Samara is simply illogical. I mean, sure you can resist her (if you can't, the game makes the choice for you and you end up helping Samara), but you're not the only potential victim, now are you?

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Yeah, seems pretty weird to me too.

But hey, more choices are never a bad thing. I don't know why anyone would choose Morinth other than as a joke, but it certainly doesn't harm me that I can. Plus she's a love interest, and it happens exactly like you'd think it would, which I found amusing.

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
I guess Bioware thought you would be enthralled by Morinth in those few minutes you known her.

Also i guess it adds some re-playability

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Well, Samara has a strict moral code, and is obligated to kill any person who violates it. She says that, even if she's sworn to Shepard's service, she'll have to kill him after the mission is over if he violates the code, as in "does any major Renegade options". A renegade Shepard, by siding with Morinth, would just be watching his/her back and gaining a replacement biotic in the process.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Hal10k said:
Well, Samara has a strict moral code, and is obligated to kill any person who violates it. She says that, even if she's sworn to Shepard's service, she'll have to kill him after the mission is over if he violates the code, as in "does any major Renegade options". A renegade Shepard, by siding with Morinth, would just be watching his/her back and gaining a replacement biotic in the process.
Pretty much. Samara has a vow to stick with Shepard 'til the end of the game the mission, but if you're a Renegade Shepard, after that she's going to come after you. If you kill her off now, you retain a powerful biotic ally in Morinth who has no reason to hunt you down after your mission is done.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Yeah, I'll agree with above posts; it just appeals to your taste on whether you like "good girls" or "bad girls". The only problem with THAT is that to me, she's too similar to Jack. Plus, I GUESS she could appeal to the "Sure, she's killed people just because but she's still ASARI." And all that jazz pertaining to a mother killing her daughter out of some self-righteous duty. Or whatever.

I never choose her because I just like Samara more. xD

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Odgical said:
Morinth is younger so she'll live longer than Samara. So what she is an investment that'll last longer. Also, if I recall, if she has sex she'll kill whoever. Brilliant, that's an extra weapon in her arsenal that Samara doesn't have. Samara is also an honour-bound zealot whereas Morinth is flexible in her morals. This is a great advantage if your goal is saving the galaxy - a goal which you should be aiming to achieve via any means possible, not something where you want to be convincing one of your team every time you do a questionable act for the greater good.

Just a few reasons I thought up quickly. Plenty of logical arguments.
She may live longer than Samara, but given that Samara is an asari - even an older one - the chances are that she is going to outlive the entirety of the rest of the ME2 team anyway, with the only possible exception being Grunt.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Her unique ability (Dominate it was called? I think?) is pretty damn good imo. I only recruited Morinth once though in all my playthroughs.

I guess if you are rolling an evil character it makes sense to kill Samara and take Morinth instead. It's just that having a powerful ultimate white knight like Samara fighting alongside you when you eat puppies for breakfast doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

That and the fact that Samara would try and kill you once the Main mission is over (That's what she said at least). Perhaps something for ME3? Where if you were renegade in ME2 and Samara survived she tries to kill you?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Amnestic said:
Hal10k said:
Pretty much. Samara has a vow to stick with Shepard 'til the end of the game the mission, but if you're a Renegade Shepard, after that she's going to come after you. If you kill her off now, you retain a powerful biotic ally in Morinth who has no reason to hunt you down after your mission is done.
Nihlus won against her. Nihlus was offed by Saren. Shepard offed Saren.

I wouldn't consider Samara as having a good chance against Shepard should it come to that. Plus she never said she'd "come after you". She wouldn't hunt you, but if you two crossed paths again, she would fight you. At least that's how I understood her "I hope I never meet you again after this mission is done because I'd be saddened to have to kill you."

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
That strict Ideological zealotry definitely gave me pause for thought about the choice.

Vegosiux said:
Amnestic said:
Hal10k said:
Nihlus won against her. Nihlus was offed by Saren. Shepard offed Saren.

I wouldn't consider Samara as having a good chance against Shepard should it come to that. Plus she never said she'd "come after you". She wouldn't hunt you, but if you two crossed paths again, she would fight you. At least that's how I understood her "I hope I never meet you again after this mission is done because I'd be saddened to have to kill you."
Nihlus was offed by being shot in the back. Shepard could be offed in the same way.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Vegosiux said:
Amnestic said:
Hal10k said:
Nihilus won against her. Nihilus was offed by Saren. Shepard offed Saren.

I wouldn't consider Samara as having a good chance against Shepard should it come to that.
True, but it's one less annoyance bugging you when you're trying to do important stuff like flirt with Garrus, play cards with Tali and the Engineers, probe Uranus and...

Oh yeah, that whole saving the galaxy thing. Guess that's probably important too.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
It's because Bioware has this tendency to make a moral alignment moment in where the choice is between Lawful Good and Chaotic Stupid.

I'm not saying they're a bad dev but this kinda stuff is a weakness in their otherwise great games.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Amnestic said:
Vegosiux said:
Amnestic said:
Hal10k said:
Nihilus won against her. Nihilus was offed by Saren. Shepard offed Saren.

I wouldn't consider Samara as having a good chance against Shepard should it come to that.
True, but it's one less annoyance bugging you when you're trying to do important stuff like flirt with Garrus, play cards with Tali and the Engineers, probe Uranus and...

Oh yeah, that whole saving the galaxy thing. Guess that's probably important too.
And in ME3, drinking tea/coffee that James Vega brewed you. Because that's all that he's going to do realistically.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
Amnestic said:
Hal10k said:
...Except that you resisted her, making you all the more interesting to her, as no one else has managed to do that.

O.T: Even with that above grevince with her, It'd still be better for a Renegade Shep in the long run to have her, as Samara must attempt to kill you, while Shepard knows she can resist her mind control seduction.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Odgical said:
Morinth is younger so she'll live longer than Samara. So what she is is an investment that'll last longer. Also, if I recall, if she has sex she'll kill whoever. Brilliant, that's an extra weapon in her arsenal that Samara doesn't have. Samara is also an honour-bound zealot whereas Morinth is flexible in her morals. This is a great advantage if your goal is saving the galaxy - a goal which you should be aiming to achieve via any means possible, not something where you want to be convincing one of your team every time you do a questionable act for the greater good.

Just a few reasons I thought up quickly. Plenty of logical arguments.
Unfortinatly Morinth is also psychotic and addicted to sex which tends to kill you in the worst way possible, plus shes also almost irresistible so by taking her, you pretty much unleash a succubus who gets off on killing her sex partners.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Morinth and Samara have different bonus loyalty powers.

I like Morinth's better, it is a powerful mind control (organics only) that buffs the target with a defensive shield for extra survivability. You can choose Morinth, get the power, reload the game to before the choice, then choose Samara and you still get to keep Morinth's bonus power. And vice-versa.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I always look at it like Shepard is worried that Samara's code will conflict with his orders (even though she says it won't if you ask her). The rest of the galaxy seems to view the Justicars as loose-cannon dirty harry types so I look at her from that perspective.