ME3 Extended Cut Are You Appeased *Video Spoilers*

ScaryAlmond

Sep 12, 2011
Okay now the extended cut is out.
Are you appeased or as angry as ever time to discuss
Personally I'm alright I pretty much gave up on Bioware but I can see they just made a mistake a lazy end but at least they tried to fix it.
Overall after just watching the videos they are okay I do especially liked the refusal ending because it does allow your to actually make a decision.
While I still did not totally like the other endings (control was kind of weird) i'm content with what we were given.
At least they fixed most of the gaping holes in the other atrocious ending which will be a black mark on Biowares record for a decent while.

Synthesis:
Control:
Destroy:
Up Yours StarChild Ending:
Finally Harbinger gets some voice time (and with that i'm okay with the Starchild)

Thomas Rembrandt

Feb 17, 2010
I must confess, had this been the original ending(s) of ME3, I personnally wouldn't have had a problem with it at all. Having only seen the control and synthesis endings, all I can say is: I liked it. They ended it on a (very) optimistic tone, added a few scenes that removed some plot holes (or made it so that you don't perceive them as plot holes any longer) and added much needed dialog.

Faith in Bioware is restored for me.

On the downside: Were there any ambiguities before, they are gone now. No indoctrination took place (as far as I have seen) and everything can be taken at face value.

I like it.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Eh, I would have like to see more game play after the ending.

In Deus Ex (the game where BioWare go the original three endings from) you actually had to choose one of the three objectives you want and go through the level and complete them to get your ending.

It's still an Ending-Tron 3000, but hey, who can compete with Deus Ex?

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
I wrote a novel about it in this thread:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.379967-Spoilers-Mass-effect-3-extended-cut

Magicduck

Mar 30, 2011
By no means perfect; still didn't get to see our assets in action =(. But its acceptable now.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I dislike all endings from the Extended Cut except for the refusal ending. It's strange, but it's the only option that makes sense, and I'm willing to deal with the devastating consequences.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I'm completely pissed that they didn't commit to Shepard being alive or dead. To quote Nixon from Futurama:

"I don't care how you decide, just decide!"

If s/he is dead, ok then, say that. If s/he survives (in any of the endings) say that. Don't do this cliffhanger-deeper-meaning-open-to-interpretation-bullshit any more, I'm tired of it!

Also, sadly I was wrong about the Indoctrination Theory, but I can still pretend out of sheer bloody mindedness...

ScaryAlmond

Sep 12, 2011
they
TheCommanders said:
I'm completely pissed that they didn't commit to Shepard being alive or dead. To quote Nixon from Futurama:

If s/he is dead, ok then, say that. If s/he survives (in any of the endings) say that. Don't do this cliffhanger-deeper-meaning-open-to-interpretation-bullshit any more, I'm tired of it!

Also, sadly I was wrong about the Indoctrination Theory, but I can still pretend out of sheer bloody mindedness...
It is sad they completely wipedout the Indoctrination theory it was a pretty well thought out theory but at least it extended my denial phase for a few extra months.

Considering how their not doing another mass effect game after these events does it really matter whether he is alive or dead I mean we know how galactic civilisation turned out in the end I don't care whether Shepard is alive or dead I just wanted the other plot holes fixed.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Grubz said:
they
TheCommanders said:

It is sad they completely wipedout the Indoctrination theory it was a pretty well thought out theory but at least it extended my denial phase for a few extra months.

Considering how their not doing another mass effect game after these events does it really matter whether he is alive or dead I mean we know how galactic civilisation turned out in the end I don't care whether Shepard is alive or dead I just wanted the other plot holes fixed.
Honestly, it's the fact that the whole thing (which up until this was looking better) ends on a cliffhanger for a sequel that will never be made (they have confirmed Shepard is done, in regard to games) that ruins the whole thing for me. Commit! That's all I want! Commit! This is actually making me more angry the more I think about it. I think I need a nap. If only I wasn't an insomniac...

EDIT- I just noticed this and being a grammar nazi makes me feel a little better so... it's "they're not doing another mass effect game," not "their not doing another mass effect game"

EDIT to the EDIT- I would prefer to use "they" as an impersonal reference to a single person who is of indeterminate gender, but my english professor informs me she wouldn't tolerate it if I did it in any of my essays, so I'm training myself not to. I'm not sure why she finds s/he to be less weird, but hey, I don't get to argue.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's....better, defiantly better but...I can't help but feel like it's still not quite good.

Ok, I'll be fair, things that it improved

-The Mass Relays are only damaged
-The Normandy gets off the stupid planet
-Heavy implication that galactic civilization will get back on its feet before too long.
-The Refuse ending implies that the Star Child is actually Harbinger, which makes him tolerable....but sadly this also proves the criticism that YOU ARE DOING WHAT THE REAPERS WANT!

Why is it that Shepard has to die in every single ending except for very gauge implications in the destroy ending? Why couldn't they take the destruction of the Geth out? There were still enough alternatives offered by synthesis and control, if you take the destroy ending you don't have the Reapers helping you rebuild, why do we need to throw genocide into the mix? And why is the only ending where Shepard lives the same one where you have to kill all the Geth and EDI? Synthesis still bugs me, it doesn't really help that "changing all life" basically comes down to scribbling green lines all over everything. Also I fall into the camp that cybernetics can be traumatic to receive, and you just gave them to every last person in the galaxy without their consent. Control in reality seems like the best ending, but I'm still upset that after everything he/she went through, Shepard is denied being able to settle down with his LI. Come on, if you save the Galaxy you deserve much more than that.

And...oh God, the refusal ending. There was SO MUCH POTENTIAL THERE! Why didn't they make it so that if you had enough war assets you could defeat the Reapers without using the crucible? The one that we have could be the bad ending, but why can't we get one where Shepard refuses to play into the Reaper's hands and the united fleet, against all odds, manages to defeat the Reapers? That...that would have been awesome. If Bioware had done that then all would have been forgiven. But Mass Effect and me...I don't know, I really just don't want to think about it. I'm just tired.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
TheCommanders said:

1. I agree completely. My main hope for this was to see confirmation that Shep survived, otherwise what's the goddamn point of having her arm push through the rubble? I wanted to see what it means that she apparently survived. What does she do next?

2. Re: Indoctrination Theory, I'm getting kind of a "Lost" vibe here, where the writers initially had one idea, and then they changed it later on in response to fan reaction. (IE, in "Lost", the island was likely originally meant to be purgatory, but when everyone "guessed" it in the first season, they had to change it so that it'd still be a "surprise"). In this case, after the crappy ending everyone insisted it had to be indoctrination, and the writers felt that for whatever reason they should be contrarian and make it something else. Maybe they felt like if they made it indoctrination, they'd be seen as caving to fan outrage, but by killing that idea they could say "this is what we meant, you guys got it wrong."

Indoctrination still makes the most sense and results in the best ending. Shame on those shitty writers for stubbornly refusing to embrace it.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
erttheking said:
Control in reality seems like the best ending, but I'm still upset that after everything he/she went through, Shepard is denied being able to settle down with his LI. Come on, if you save the Galaxy you deserve much more than that.

And...oh God, the refusal ending. There was SO MUCH POTENTIAL THERE! Why didn't they make it so that if you had enough war assets you could defeat the Reapers without using the crucible? The one that we have could be the bad ending, but why can't we get one where Shepard refuses to play into the Reaper's hands and the united fleet, against all odds, manages to defeat the Reapers? That...that would have been awesome. If Bioware had done that then all would have been forgiven. But Mass Effect and me...I don't know, I really just don't want to think about it. I'm just tired.
why does everything alwasy have to be a disney ending? sometimes you win and be the hero, sometimes you win and zillions die on both sides including you leaving everything as a huge mess, which is what happens most of the time. I actually liked it alot that Sheppard dies.

ow and synth wouldnt freak anyone out since you give up being a human with electronic parts to being a true hybrid with as they put it "new dna" synth parts wouldnt freak you out more than having 2 arms would freak you out

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kragg said:
erttheking said:
Control in reality seems like the best ending, but I'm still upset that after everything he/she went through, Shepard is denied being able to settle down with his LI. Come on, if you save the Galaxy you deserve much more than that.

why does everything alwasy have to be a disney ending? sometimes you win and be the hero, sometimes you win and zillions die on both sides including you leaving everything as a huge mess, which is what happens most of the time. I actually liked it alot that Sheppard dies.

ow and synth wouldnt freak anyone out since you give up being a human with electronic parts to being a true hybrid with as they put it "new dna" synth parts wouldnt freak you out more than having 2 arms would freak you out
Last time a checked, Thane was dead, Mordin was dead, Legion was dead and Anderson was dead, as were hundreds of millions of people and the Galaxy was kind of in shambles. You could have made it so that Shepard lived it still would've been very bittersweet.

I dunno, I'd freak out if I started glowing green and lines appeared all over my body, especially considering I have no idea what my new parts do.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
everythingbeeps said:
TheCommanders said:

1. I agree completely. My main hope for this was to see confirmation that Shep survived, otherwise what's the goddamn point of having her arm push through the rubble? I wanted to see what it means that she apparently survived. What does she do next?

2. Re: Indoctrination Theory, I'm getting kind of a "Lost" vibe here, where the writers initially had one idea, and then they changed it later on in response to fan reaction. (IE, in "Lost", the island was likely originally meant to be purgatory, but when everyone "guessed" it in the first season, they had to change it so that it'd still be a "surprise"). In this case, after the crappy ending everyone insisted it had to be indoctrination, and the writers felt that for whatever reason they should be contrarian and make it something else. Maybe they felt like if they made it indoctrination, they'd be seen as caving to fan outrage, but by killing that idea they could say "this is what we meant, you guys got it wrong."

Indoctrination still makes the most sense and results in the best ending. Shame on those shitty writers for stubbornly refusing to embrace it.
You know what's interesting? After the game came out and I got through the horrendous ending for the first time, I was still able to play Mass Effect 3 through all the way 4 more times. I fully planned to play through the Extended Cut with all 5 of my play throughs. Now... I just can't. I really wanted the optimists to be right, to be able to vindicate a company that has made some amazing games. Now that I know with finality that it's just as bad as all the naysayers believed... I'm just tapped out. I don't think I'll ever be able to play the game again. I really never thought I'd say that. I'm not completely giving up on Bioware yet, but as for Mass Effect, I'm done.

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
erttheking said:
I dunno, I'd freak out if I started glowing green and lines appeared all over my body, especially considering I have no idea what my new parts do.
One thing that always bothered me with the Synth ending was that, well, what does synthesis mean in the practical sense? if it was just glowing skin and lines, that doesn't really mean much, but if it was something like not having to eat, not having emotions, having your dick shrivel up, well, that'd be a bit different. What about the robits? Are they now half-organic? what does that mean? realize I haven't watched the vids yet (at a library, and don't want to turn on the volume) but it seems some of these questions haven't been addressed.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
IT was okay, bit of a letdown, but there was joy too, like Zaeed on the beach and the rebuilding cutscene. Still pisses me off about the IT not being right.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
erttheking said:
Kragg said:
erttheking said:

Last time a checked, Thane was dead, Mordin was dead, Legion was dead and Anderson was dead, as were hundreds of millions of people and the Galaxy was kind of in shambles. You could have made it so that Shepard lived it still would've been very bittersweet.

well i am making assumptions that you do know what they all do, also assuming some part of it is galaxywide communication junk so once the green beam hits you "know" everything

but what do they say about people who assume again :D