ME3 Extended Cut Are You Appeased *Video Spoilers*

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Starchild and Ending-Tron 3000 are still there, and there's no game play after you make your decision.

But then again, what should I be expecting from games after playing Deus Ex?

Captcha: in limbo

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
worldruler8 said:
erttheking said:
I dunno, I'd freak out if I started glowing green and lines appeared all over my body, especially considering I have no idea what my new parts do.
One thing that always bothered me with the Synth ending was that, well, what does synthesis mean in the practical sense? if it was just glowing skin and lines, that doesn't really mean much, but if it was something like not having to eat, not having emotions, having your dick shrivel up, well, that'd be a bit different. What about the robits? Are they now half-organic? what does that mean? realize I haven't watched the vids yet (at a library, and don't want to turn on the volume) but it seems some of these questions haven't been addressed.
And there's problem #157 that people had with the ending to Mass Effect 3, this groundbreaking and possibly traumatic ideal...is introduced in the last ten minutes of the game and not explored upon in the slightest...I'm so tired.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kragg said:
erttheking said:
Kragg said:
erttheking said:
Control in reality seems like the best ending, but I'm still upset that after everything he/she went through, Shepard is denied being able to settle down with his LI. Come on, if you save the Galaxy you deserve much more than that.

And...oh God, the refusal ending. There was SO MUCH POTENTIAL THERE! Why didn't they make it so that if you had enough war assets you could defeat the Reapers without using the crucible? The one that we have could be the bad ending, but why can't we get one where Shepard refuses to play into the Reaper's hands and the united fleet, against all odds, manages to defeat the Reapers? That...that would have been awesome. If Bioware had done that then all would have been forgiven. But Mass Effect and me...I don't know, I really just don't want to think about it. I'm just tired.
why does everything alwasy have to be a disney ending? sometimes you win and be the hero, sometimes you win and zillions die on both sides including you leaving everything as a huge mess, which is what happens most of the time. I actually liked it alot that Sheppard dies.

ow and synth wouldnt freak anyone out since you give up being a human with electronic parts to being a true hybrid with as they put it "new dna" synth parts wouldnt freak you out more than having 2 arms would freak you out
Last time a checked, Thane was dead, Mordin was dead, Legion was dead and Anderson was dead, as were hundreds of millions of people and the Galaxy was kind of in shambles. You could have made it so that Shepard lived it still would've been very bittersweet.

I dunno, I'd freak out if I started glowing green and lines appeared all over my body, especially considering I have no idea what my new parts do.
well i am making assumptions that you do know what they all do, also assuming some part of it is galaxywide communication junk so once the green beam hits you "know" everything

but what do they say about people who assume again :D
Yeah, that's my problem, there's no solid facts about synthesis they just say "synthetics and organics are one now" and they just kind of leave it at that. I didn't pay $80 for a game to cobble together my own ending and how each of these concepts work, I'd rather have something solid and complete.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
erttheking said:
Kragg said:
erttheking said:
Kragg said:
erttheking said:
Control in reality seems like the best ending, but I'm still upset that after everything he/she went through, Shepard is denied being able to settle down with his LI. Come on, if you save the Galaxy you deserve much more than that.

And...oh God, the refusal ending. There was SO MUCH POTENTIAL THERE! Why didn't they make it so that if you had enough war assets you could defeat the Reapers without using the crucible? The one that we have could be the bad ending, but why can't we get one where Shepard refuses to play into the Reaper's hands and the united fleet, against all odds, manages to defeat the Reapers? That...that would have been awesome. If Bioware had done that then all would have been forgiven. But Mass Effect and me...I don't know, I really just don't want to think about it. I'm just tired.
why does everything alwasy have to be a disney ending? sometimes you win and be the hero, sometimes you win and zillions die on both sides including you leaving everything as a huge mess, which is what happens most of the time. I actually liked it alot that Sheppard dies.

ow and synth wouldnt freak anyone out since you give up being a human with electronic parts to being a true hybrid with as they put it "new dna" synth parts wouldnt freak you out more than having 2 arms would freak you out
Last time a checked, Thane was dead, Mordin was dead, Legion was dead and Anderson was dead, as were hundreds of millions of people and the Galaxy was kind of in shambles. You could have made it so that Shepard lived it still would've been very bittersweet.

well i am making assumptions that you do know what they all do, also assuming some part of it is galaxywide communication junk so once the green beam hits you "know" everything

but what do they say about people who assume again :D
Yeah, that's my problem, there's no solid facts about synthesis they just say "synthetics and organics are one now" and they just kind of leave it at that. I didn't pay $80 for a game to cobble together my own ending and how each of these concepts work, I'd rather have something solid and complete.
well at some point they go too far with their science i guess, as Arthur C Clarke said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" i guess they just got lazy and thats where their space magic comes in :D

now if there is a science to it and some lost codex entries that would be great, i hope that they didnt just sit there infront of their keyboards, threw up their hands and yelled "of course, space magic!"

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I wasn't expecting a new ending to be added, but "Rejection" was pretty awesome. "Destroy" and "Rejection" are the best of the bunch. "Control" is OK, but "Synthesis" is still confusing as hell. But at least the endings a little more distinguished, so that's good.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
I will say that it addressed the main complaint of the original ending offering no closure. The voice-overs at the end explain what happened right after the battle.

The Synth ending still looks like a fan edit. Aside from the one scene where the Turians actually look at themselves changing, everyone else is just a recolor who seems to accept the fact they now have green glowing eyes and lines on their bodies.

The real tragedy I see out of the Mass Effect endings was that it took the fan base blowing up as it did to get this. If you need additional dlc to explain the ending, the story is not ready for release. Hopefully Bioware and EA realize that as nice as it is to release a product on time, a finished product is much better.

Also, I'm probably in the minority but I kinda wanted a more unhappy ending. Regardless of what ending you choose, the galaxy seems to be recovering well. Does renegade Shepard still become the benevolent overlord if you choose control, cause that seems like a huge disconnect. I mean my Shep
left colonists to burn to help Zaeed get revenge, shoved a guy out a window because it was funny, and shot a grieving asari after she saw her mother take her own life.
Would you trust someone like that in control of a galaxy destroying fleet? It seems like only a simple step to using that fleet to control the galaxy Emperor Palpatine style.

I kinda wanted the player choices matter a bit more. Something more like if you side with the Solarians, they accept synthesis but the krogan reject it. It seems like whether you were Space Jesus or Satan, the galaxy is fine and everyone who survived is okay. But this was a hurry up patch so what I wanted would have been to much to ask for.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's still shit. It's still exactly what they promised it won't be. It's still A, B, C and now D ending. And the bearer of plot holes and destroyer of storylines is still there. As long as starchild exists, the entire plot of Mass Effect 1 is invalidated. Don't forget that.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Retcons and Plot holes to cover up plotholes, so much for Artistic Integrity.

its better than leaving it open like it was before, but its not much of an improvement.

Had they ended it like this before I wouldnt have even batted and eye.

BUt now, after all the shit they put us through?

Fuck Bioware, they can go join Westwood Studios in the fucking graveyard.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
Evil Alpaca said:
Just thought I'd drop in and point out there is now an unhappy ending. They added a fourth option, if you refuse all the Kids options, or shoot him once you gain control, the Crucible turns off. All the races are killed and the cycle goes on. There's a video of it somewhere.

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
Yassen said:
Evil Alpaca said:
Just thought I'd drop in and point out there is now an unhappy ending. They added a fourth option, if you refuse all the Kids options, or shoot him once you gain control, the Crucible turns off. All the races are killed and the cycle goes on. There's a video of it somewhere.
More a bittersweet ending. The next cycle survives. I think that's the best ending, no strings attached.

Captcha: one hit wonder. Ha.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
TheCommanders said:
everythingbeeps said:
TheCommanders said:
I'm completely pissed that they didn't commit to Shepard being alive or dead. To quote Nixon from Futurama:

"I don't care how you decide, just decide!"

If s/he is dead, ok then, say that. If s/he survives (in any of the endings) say that. Don't do this cliffhanger-deeper-meaning-open-to-interpretation-bullshit any more, I'm tired of it!

Also, sadly I was wrong about the Indoctrination Theory, but I can still pretend out of sheer bloody mindedness...
1. I agree completely. My main hope for this was to see confirmation that Shep survived, otherwise what's the goddamn point of having her arm push through the rubble? I wanted to see what it means that she apparently survived. What does she do next?

2. Re: Indoctrination Theory, I'm getting kind of a "Lost" vibe here, where the writers initially had one idea, and then they changed it later on in response to fan reaction. (IE, in "Lost", the island was likely originally meant to be purgatory, but when everyone "guessed" it in the first season, they had to change it so that it'd still be a "surprise"). In this case, after the crappy ending everyone insisted it had to be indoctrination, and the writers felt that for whatever reason they should be contrarian and make it something else. Maybe they felt like if they made it indoctrination, they'd be seen as caving to fan outrage, but by killing that idea they could say "this is what we meant, you guys got it wrong."

Indoctrination still makes the most sense and results in the best ending. Shame on those shitty writers for stubbornly refusing to embrace it.
You know what's interesting? After the game came out and I got through the horrendous ending for the first time, I was still able to play Mass Effect 3 through all the way 4 more times. I fully planned to play through the Extended Cut with all 5 of my play throughs. Now... I just can't. I really wanted the optimists to be right, to be able to vindicate a company that has made some amazing games. Now that I know with finality that it's just as bad as all the naysayers believed... I'm just tapped out. I don't think I'll ever be able to play the game again. I really never thought I'd say that. I'm not completely giving up on Bioware yet, but as for Mass Effect, I'm done.
Wait, so you are "done with Mass Effect" because;

1) They didnt do the indoctrination option (which would have allowed for more sequel opportunity with Shepard, which they said they weren't going to do)

2) Shepard dies in some fashion (which lends to the strength of not having more Shepard Sequels)

That makes no sense to me. There is this big out cry that the original endings are bad (which they were) yet when they take the time to expand upon them giving more in depth information about each ending and how it plays out, they are still bad endings??

Sorry, but I have to heavily disagree. The Original Endings while bad, were bad because they didnt give us a bunch of information to go with each ending and were displayed in a poor way (same thing, different color). These extended cut endings do not change the endings (as they said they wouldnt) but expand upon each ending giving them a clear and unique ending for whichever you choose. That is a good move which should, frankly, be given a bit of a thanks for.

Personally, I was also for the indoctrination theory, so a bit sad to see that not in there, but really enjoyed each of the endings. Looking forward to a ME about the Rachni wars!! :p

Plumerou

Mar 7, 2011
so i just saw the control ending, and all i can think of is where is that reporter... i think this time i had enough of her disingenous assertions :X

zacattack14

Apr 3, 2010
I think this is a significant improvement over the previous endings, my mind is just boggled by the fact that they thought the original endings conveyed this exact same message, only not as clearly. As far as I'm concered Mass Effect 3 is now just about damn near perfect.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It improves upon the endings - and that was the best we could hope for. In reality, nothing short of giving us 2 extra hours of gameplay, real final boss battle and a whole new ending could have satisfied everyone. We wanted a ME2 moment, but we didn't get it.

Oh well. The epilogue stuff's alright - feels a bit condescending and overly eager to please, but it's what the fans wanted. As much as I disliked the ending, I actually didn't want them to do anything - and I am surprised that they haven't made the endings worse.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I am the one guy that had NO PROBLEM with how Mass Effect 3 ended before today. I view the extended cut endings as an added on denouement to a story for the players how lacked the courage, imagination or will to just ask "huh, I wonder what happens after that." I do have to give Bioware some serious applause though, for two things.

1) despite the additions, they did not fundamentally change the core ending of the Mass Effect series. you just see more pictures and get to hear some voice overs.

2) I LOVE the little "Fuck you" to Retake they threw in with the rejection ending. it is the artist reasserting their authority to an uppity audience for whom nothing was owed, since none of the retake crowd had the guts to go back to gamestop and demand a refund.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I watched them all and liked the refusal ending. Hay I said it when the game came out that I would rather everyone die then get that stupid ending. Got my wish.

JPArbiter said:
2) I LOVE the little "Fuck you" to Retake they threw in with the rejection ending. it is the artist reasserting their authority to an uppity audience for whom nothing was owed, since none of the retake crowd had the guts to go back to gamestop and demand a refund.
"Can I have an apple?"
"Fuck you here's an apple"

Not much of a Fuck you if it's what you asked for.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
JPArbiter said:
I am the one guy that had NO PROBLEM with how Mass Effect 3 ended before today. I view the extended cut endings as an added on denouement to a story for the players how lacked the courage, imagination or will to just ask "huh, I wonder what happens after that." I do have to give Bioware some serious applause though, for two things.

1) despite the additions, they did not fundamentally change the core ending of the Mass Effect series. you just see more pictures and get to hear some voice overs.

No, no you are not. Shut up. There are plenty of people who had no problem with the endings before this, it's not just you.

OT: I guess I'm looking forward to seeing just what has changed with the Extended Cut. My mood right now could be described as...cautiously optimistic.