ME3 Extended Cut Are You Appeased *Video Spoilers*

May 5, 2010
I actually find the ending I would've gotten (Destroy) to be pretty satisfying. I regret absolutely nothing. (Except the destruction of the Geth, I guess) "Control" MIGHT be the better ending, but it kinda sounds like Sheppard is going to start ruling the galaxy with an iron...tentacle. "Army no one would dare oppose" and all that.

And Synthesis...Ugh.
THE GETH ALREADY GET ALONG WITH ORGANICS. THE ONLY TIMES WHEN THEY DIDN'T GET ALONG WITH ORGANICS WAS WHEN THE REAPERS WERE MANIPULATING THEM AND WHEN THE QUARIANS ATTACKED THEM. OTHER THEN THAT, SYNTHETICS AND ORGANICS GET ALONG JUST FINE. WE DON'T NEED SYNTHESIS TO END THE WAR, OR EVEN THE CYCLE. WE JUST NEED THE REAPERS TO ACTUALLY THINK FOR A FUCKING SECOND.

So yeah...I'm partial to the Destruction ending.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
subtlefuge said:
I dislike all endings from the Extended Cut except for the refusal ending. It's strange, but it's the only option that makes sense, and I'm willing to deal with the devastating consequences.
Same here. And as I expected, clarity changed nothing. The execution of the ending is better, but the premise is still a pile of shit. Now it's just polished.

It still amounts to deus ex machina followed by space magic, and there are still so many things that don't make sense.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
JPArbiter said:
I am the one guy that had NO PROBLEM with how Mass Effect 3 ended before today. I view the extended cut endings as an added on denouement to a story for the players how lacked the courage, imagination or will to just ask "huh, I wonder what happens after that." I do have to give Bioware some serious applause though, for two things.
If you think this is why people didn't like the endings, you are very ignorant. Don't insult other people just because you don't understand their point of view.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Well after watching them all, I'm in the camp of "i wouldn't have bitched if they included these endings from the start" camp.

Don't get me wrong, still stuff to ***** about if one wants (my own personal grievance is how Casey Hudson basically took the reigns for the ending and in doing so made the central theme about technological singularity, but worst is that he forces his opinion on you and the game. Picking green results in the most stupidly optimistic and rainbow land ending where everyone is happy and just makes all the other endings look crap in comparison. Especially if you outright don't agree with Casey's views in which case you get the absolute worst ending), but at least we got a satisfying ending to a videogame.

Now we can just argue over its meanings and what happens in them instead (such as above, I really do think green ending wraps up things way too conveniently despite the whole process of mixing organic and synthetic dna being very dodgy. Heck why the reapers are a lot more helpful in that ending then in the blue when they should be helping as much as they can in either case shows there is a bias at work).

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
Vast improvement, but the refusal ending could perhaps have been more developed... changes based on EMS, etc, resulting in total victory... however, the current changes to the endings would still make me pick destroy... in terms of the bigger picture the reaper's philosophy was... not incorrect... and getting through the refusal ending with the current cycle surviving would only be a short term solution (which is why it's current form isn't SO bad - next generation knows not to use AI's... although Liara's capsule included VI's (I think), which are close, which in hindsight seems a stupid move... "They use a VI to tell us not to use AI, and we can only find out not to build synthetics after we've already built them..."

But whatever... Mass Effect 3 was good except for the endings, the endings have now been at least somewhat acceptably vindicated (it was Anderson giving the order to retreat that tipped the scale for me - closing that plot hole), so all in all, Bioware has my seal of approval, albeit with some qualifications, and we can blame the whole thing on EA

Chinaman88

Jun 16, 2012
I personally found the extended cut to be quite satisfying. Though I still grind my teeth a little when they try to convince me the overall theme of the trilogy was meat bags vs. robots, it isn't by the way, all of my closure and plothole issues were resolved in a way that I found believable and made sense.

Did this appease me?: Yes
Do I have any more questions?: Yes
I know it took them 3 months but why didn't they just give us this in the first place?

Chinaman88

Jun 16, 2012
I personally found the extended cut to be quite satisfying. Though I still grind my teeth a little when they try to convince me the overall theme of the trilogy was meat bags vs. robots, it isn't by the way, all of my closure and plothole issues were resolved in a way that I found believable and made sense.

Did this appease me?: Yes
Do I have any more questions?: Yes
I know it took them 3 months but why didn't they just give us this in the first place?

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
They are better than the original ones, but that's not hard.
In my opinion they are still pretty shit, just as i suspected.
Then again my problem with the endings was never closure, it wasn't even the gaping plot holes.
My problem with the Ending was that it just does not fit. It didn't fit when it was released and it doesn't fit now.
They don't fit the theme of the whole series.
The only ending that does fit is the refusal ending, so good that they added that one.
I suspected to get something like that when you screwed everything up in me 3.
And even now the endings still all look the same, what is this?
The rest just does not fit, but then again they would have needed to rewrite the endings completely to fix that and we all know ea won't pay for something like that.
I still don't have any faith in Bioware anymore, but then again, there was allready pretty little left after Dragon Age 2.

Oh and i forgot, while the endings are shit, i just don't care anymore.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
JPArbiter said:
I am the one guy that had NO PROBLEM with how Mass Effect 3 ended before today. I view the extended cut endings as an added on denouement to a story for the players how lacked the courage, imagination or will to just ask "huh, I wonder what happens after that." I do have to give Bioware some serious applause though, for two things.

1) despite the additions, they did not fundamentally change the core ending of the Mass Effect series. you just see more pictures and get to hear some voice overs.

2) I LOVE the little "Fuck you" to Retake they threw in with the rejection ending. it is the artist reasserting their authority to an uppity audience for whom nothing was owed, since none of the retake crowd had the guts to go back to gamestop and demand a refund.
You sir, understand nothing at all. And take the self-righteous indignation with you, please.

OT: While the endings now aren't the plot-hole riddled mess they were at launch (seriously, Bioware, you couldn't have just done these endings in the first place?), they were still not exactly comforting either. Control makes you sound like a slightly nicer Darth Vader.. if he had an entire army of Cthulthu kill-bots at his beck and call. Destroy seems more or less the same as it was, just with extra cinematics showing the others races reaction to dead Reapers. Synthesis still feels like a goddamned horror movie with all those glowing green eyes and green.. veiny bodies, and still makes no sense whatsoever beyond being clearly Bioware's pet ending.

..As for reject, I fucking love the speech Shepard does in rejecting the Catalyst, and Catalyst boy finally being revealed to be Harbinger (don't care what you say, his angry voice is Harbingers). However, too depressing of an ending for me, considering I already live in clinical depression, despite the whole "next cycle defeats the Reapers thing".

..And no, I did not play these. I youtubed them.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
I don't think the extended endings can be called good, but they are a bit less awful. I was amused by some of the subtle changes though. Thought you could slip the modified Normandy crash scene in without anyone noticing, did you BW? I guess "clarification" wasn't enough.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Asita said:
Uriain said:
That makes no sense to me. There is this big out cry that the original endings are bad (which they were) yet when they take the time to expand upon them giving more in depth information about each ending and how it plays out, they are still bad endings??

Sorry, but I have to heavily disagree. The Original Endings while bad, were bad because they didnt give us a bunch of information to go with each ending and were displayed in a poor way (same thing, different color). These extended cut endings do not change the endings (as they said they wouldnt) but expand upon each ending giving them a clear and unique ending for whichever you choose. That is a good move which should, frankly, be given a bit of a thanks for.
Well to be fair? They are still bad endings, just not as bad as what they had before. Quality isn't exactly binary, you know. The high concept for the endings was fundamentally broken from the get-go due to both the execution[footnote]Most notably the nature of the one giving you your options[/footnote] and the [lack of] build up. The options given still largely come out of left field, the choices available to you are still dictated by the series' Big Bad, and the central conflict is still put on the sidelines less than 10 minutes before the conclusion. It's like if SMT: Nocturne had never bothered to introduce you to the champions of the respective paths you have to choose between at the end of the game. Additionally, the options still feel contrary to the core themes of the game and the fact that many of the game's conflicts revolved around taking on seemingly impossible odds and overcoming them[footnote]This is best demonstrated in the tagline for Mass Effect 2 ("They call it a suicide mission. PROVE THEM WRONG" (emphasis theirs)), but is similarly represented with the Genophage, Rachni and Geth/Quarian subplots, as well as the reason for the Beacon which started off the story, the Crucible, the claim that no organics prior to this cycle have reached the catalyst, and the central conflict itself making it clear in no uncertain terms that though the reapers are undoubtedly a superior foe you will fight them anyway.[/footnote]. That theme is not upheld if the big bad of the series has to provide your solutions for you, nor is it upheld if the solutions offered are presented as workarounds to some other supposedly unavoidable conflict[footnote]Much less one that the series itself put a fair amount of effort into suggesting might be a red herring in the first place[/footnote]. Again, this still isn't a good ending, if only because it doesn't feel like it's a part of the same script. That said, it isn't nearly as bad as the original release was and is at least defensible now.
I can agree with you that they are still not "holy cow I was blown away" endings. I was simply putting the comparison into the context of what we actually have. The original endings compared to these newer more "flushed out" endings, I think that Bioware should be given a bit of Kudo's for making steps in the right direction.

On the topic of "theme not being upheld if the big bad of the series has to provide your solutions for you"... I can understand that, and can completely understand how that can make it seem like a weak end. For me, this wasn't really an issue as I view Harbinger as mearly a tool created for a purpose. So as a tool it lays out the options it see's as "appropriate" which come up in a conversation with Shepard, just like any other VI/AI would (if it wasn't trying to just shoot you)

I do hear your point though, and can agree that these newer extended endings make a choice seem at least a bit more unique, and a bit more defensible when trying to talk to others about them

Bmagada

Dec 27, 2011
So they couldn't have just done that in the first place? Don't get me wrong, I like the new endings but you know they were going to sell this exact shit before the out cry.......Ugh.... my faith in Bioware is considerably shaken

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
These endings are better than the original, but that is like saying this sandwich has less shit in it than the last. While technically true, you are still eating shit.

It cleaned up some of the questions at the end, but it still has the same story problems as before because they didn't change the story.

Personally I liked the refuse ending the best out of all, even though it looks like that is the "worst" ending.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I am very much appeased. :)

Is it perfect. No. There are still things that don't make sense, even with some new ones being added (for example: Why the fuck did Harbinger not just shoot the Normandy down when it came to pick your squad up? It was right there, in front of his face, and he did nothing. What the fuck kind of ultimate death machine is this?). However, overall I really liked it, you see what happens to people ('Zaeed at Sunset' made me laugh out loud) and you get a much better idea of how the Galaxy is able to rebuild. You have more information to go on when making your choice, which makes things clearer, and a lot of the plot holes have been filled in (though some were rather ham-fisted).

I think the part that I liked most is that they actually gave The Catalyst a personality. Before, you had next to no idea what he was or where he stood, and that in turn made everything he said add to the confusion. This time, actually hearing more about how he came to be (The, "they did not approve" line offering an ominous insight into the Reaper's origins), as well as hearing his opinions in more depth on all of the options, gave me a much better sense of where I stood with him, making my own opinions clearer.

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
I'm fine with the endings. Yay for closure.

But I picked the destroy ending, and still got the little gasp for air scene, and Kaidan didn't put my name on the plague.

Is my Shepard still alive or is she dead?

Can somebody clear this up for me. I am so confused.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
TheCommanders said:
I'm completely pissed that they didn't commit to Shepard being alive or dead. To quote Nixon from Futurama:

"I don't care how you decide, just decide!"

If s/he is dead, ok then, say that. If s/he survives (in any of the endings) say that. Don't do this cliffhanger-deeper-meaning-open-to-interpretation-bullshit any more, I'm tired of it!

Also, sadly I was wrong about the Indoctrination Theory, but I can still pretend out of sheer bloody mindedness...

Join the club. I would rather keep doing what I did before (Acepting as cannon a fanfiction some guy did about the indocrination theory) than accepting this bullshit rushed out slideshow ending.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Bioware, I have a message for your entire production team:

Frakking brilliant job. Only seen the Synthesis ending, because I literally finished it about 2 minutes ago, but it was excellent. Bravo.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
watched the endings and still like my original choice(synthesis) best. it just made the most sense for my shepard and now it is even better, I look forward to when it out for the PC and I can go through the ending myself and see my actions in the ending

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
least its better then before

though, the refusal ending is kinda odd, that's it? you lose regardless?