ME3 Extended Cut Are You Appeased *Video Spoilers*

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
And the conclusion: a resounding, "Meh..."

I like what they added. But instead of 1 post-it I'm positive it had to have been written on at least two of them.

That the kid controlled the reapers was obvious from the start.
That his logic was FUBAR was obvious from the start.
All options (except shooting the little cretin) are still HIS options and Shepard is still being a good little puppet. (I mean this is a guy that stopped an argue with a Krogan by head butting it!)

Also the team pick-up by the Normandy?? "Joker if you have time to spare... Shoot that bloody reaper while you're here!!!" Maybe Shepard would have reached the citadel in one piece... And not as one piece of swiss cheese.

Conclusion. It's like putting a cork in a sieve. They tried, but didn't address the core problem.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Well, they did improve the rating of the ending from a F-, go back a grade, to now a D+/C-.

Instead of angry, I just feel, disappointed and hollow. Its like when mom visits and she says she is going to make your favorite meal, but then just decides shes too tired and orders take out.

Yea... thanks mom... :(

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I was going to wait until I played it tonight, but I couldnt control myself and I watched the control ending. I guess I am a big wuss, and I teared up big time. Personally, that was so much better this time. I will wait to see the other ones tonight, but I am feeling very, very relieved.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
This makes me so sad. And happy.

Sad and happy. Sappy. ='D

[sub][sub]I like it. More motivation to play again. :3[/sub][/sub]

Jarek Mace

Jun 8, 2009
Ah, here's the rejection ending. Here's what you asked for, but it's a big ol' cockslap to the face for wanting to have a decent non-magic ending.
That's right, now bend over while ol' uncle Bioware gives it to ya' long and hard, consumer boy!

Well fuck you Bioware, I'm sorry that picking my favourite colour doesn't fit in with Mass Effect and simply does not spell out Commander Shepard. Saying "Okay Mr Space god, fuck you, fuck your choices, and fuck your Reapers; you poorly introduced piece of shit." before looking out the window with a big-ass grin as the combined fleets rip the Reapers apart.
Now that's a Mass Effect ending, not blue, green, and red farts.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Well it's slightly better.
It's still objectively bad though.

They did the strict minimum required so that fanboys and girls would feel satisfied. It's not hard really though, the original were so bad they barely had to do anything to make it look better. They can congratulate themselves with a big pat on the back for still pulling massive trolls these past months, and still get people to buy their next game, hurray for low standards...

Yes, I am still mad, if you couldn't tell.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Jarek Mace said:
Saying "Okay Mr Space god, fuck you, fuck your choices, and fuck your Reapers; you poorly introduced piece of shit." before looking out the window with a big-ass grin as the combined fleets rip the Reapers apart.
Now that's a Mass Effect ending, not blue, green, and red farts.
... except it's explicitly stated that your fleets aren't powerful enough.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
The Catalyst says its creators made the Reapers, but that it gave them their "purpose", that it turned the creators into the first "true" Reaper (*ahem* against their will). Yeah... so it is an AI that turned on its creators and simply assumes that all other synthetics will inevitably do the same. It "preserves" organics by making them unwilling avatars of destruction, in the image of the initial species.

It still believes that synthetics will always destroy organics, and to prevent that, it... destroys organics.

So... why are we listening to this asshole?

And, via refusal, we learn that The Catalyst is Harbinger. Nice.

Why would the strength of the force you brought to Earth determine whether or not Synthesis is possible? Aside from that: if Synthesis didn't work for the Catalyst before because the organics were "unwilling", why does it work now when it would only get the consent of one man? Shepard speaks for all life? Everyone wanted it, really? Certainly having your DNA completely re-written suddenly, forcefully, and without your knowledge or consent wouldn't be physically traumatic or psychologically damaging in any way. Let alone the sheer mechanics of it. What the hell is entailed in Synthesis anyway?

Why would destroy be an option? If the Catalyst's purpose is to find a new "solution", and it doesn't consider destruction a viable solution... why would it let you do that? Why wouldn't it, once you fire at the power conduit, go all "so be it" like in refusal?

For that matter, why would control be an option? Even then, why wouldn't renegade Shepard rule the galaxy with an iron, Reaper-shaped fist?

The refusal ending doesn't really indicate if the next cycle didn't choose Control or Synthesis anyway.

Why couldn't refusal, with a high enough EMS, be the ultimate ending? Destroy the Reapers on your own terms? EMS doesn't matter past the "minimum" anyway, aside form the Synthesis ending (for some undisclosed and probably ridiculous reason). Why not refuse, and then watch your assembled fleets decimate the Reapers once and for all?

Even beyond EMS, nothing else you did matters because no matter what Shepard does, he/she ends up with the Catalyst and chooses a one of three "solutions" (or to take it up the ass).

Further, if the Reapers knew the Crucible required access to the Citadel, why wouldn't they turn off the freaking transporter beam?

There's an even bigger problem with The Catalyst; if the primary Reaper AI was in the Citadel all along, what was the whole "Keeper Signal" premise of the first Mass Effect game about?

Yes, these endings provide more explanation and closure, but they remain broken at a conceptual level.

I never bought into indoctrination theory, mostly because it doesn't address an even bigger problem. If the last 10-20 minutes are all in Shepard's head, it means he's still half-dead in London and the Reapers are still killing everyone. At least then we'd have the option for a better ending, but we wouldn't actually receive it.

So, meh, still a great game, great series, had a blast, will probably play through again a few times, but wish it had a better ending. I still love Bioware's work, and just wish EA would have left them alone. I don't want EA people to die or anything, I just wish they'd quit screwing things up.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
It's better, but it's still the same railroad-heavy nonsense that plagued the original endings. Furthermore, the "Refusal" ending was nothing more than a passive-aggressive thumbing of the nose, and doesn't make them look any better than they did when they originally spoke of "artistic integrity".

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I actually find the ending I would've gotten (Destroy) to be pretty satisfying. I regret absolutely nothing. (Except the destruction of the Geth, I guess) "Control" MIGHT be the better ending, but it kinda sounds like Sheppard is going to start ruling the galaxy with an iron...tentacle. "Army no one would dare oppose" and all that.

And Synthesis...Ugh.
THE GETH ALREADY GET ALONG WITH ORGANICS. THE ONLY TIMES WHEN THEY DIDN'T GET ALONG WITH ORGANICS WAS WHEN THE REAPERS WERE MANIPULATING THEM AND WHEN THE QUARIANS ATTACKED THEM. OTHER THEN THAT, SYNTHETICS AND ORGANICS GET ALONG JUST FINE. WE DON'T NEED SYNTHESIS TO END THE WAR, OR EVEN THE CYCLE. WE JUST NEED THE REAPERS TO ACTUALLY THINK FOR A FUCKING SECOND.

So yeah...I'm partial to the Destruction ending.
Regarding what you put in the spoiler box... yes my thoughts exactly. I SO wanted there to be an option to interrupt when the star child was going on about "synthetics and organics will never get on, never live side by side, synthetics will always want to destroy organics blah blah blah". And for my Shepard to be like "Um, no, sorry, I just managed to help unite the Quarians and the Geth about an hour ago. Now piss off, I've got some Reapers to destoy".

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Interesting

But I suppose an ending where the Reapers (and ONLY the Reapers) are destroyed and the rest of the galaxy celebrates and moves on is too much to ask.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Aircross said:
Eh, I would have like to see more game play after the ending.

In Deus Ex (the game where BioWare go the original three endings from) you actually had to choose one of the three objectives you want and go through the level and complete them to get your ending.

It's still an Ending-Tron 3000, but hey, who can compete with Deus Ex?
The only game I can think of to have done anything similar, with your choices depending on your actions, rather than arbitrary choices in dialogue, then gameplay, is Saints Row: The Third. In that game to make a choice you have to actually go to complete an objective, from a choice of several. It may not be the deepest game, but it certainly remembers what othes have forgotten.

melikeyshootey

Apr 27, 2011
I found it more depressing than satisfying. Man tears were shed at the part where you leave your LI (Tali in my case) at the beam. However, it was weird how Harbinger sat and politely waited for you to talk to your squadmates.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Uriain said:
I really don't have the energy to argue, but I just want to clarify where I stand. The endings that came with the game were horrendous, not just because they don't provide closure, not just because of plot holes, not just because of random nonsense being put in the last 10 minutes, but because they don't fit with the rest of the game, and they don't make any goddamn sense.

All the extended cut did was defend some of the bullshit with more bullshit (I'm sure I'll write up a full essay on everyone wrong with the ending's logic when I'm not so burnt out), plug a few very specific plot holes (how your squadmates end up on the normandy for example), and give some incredibly cheesy voice overs over a few stock photos (which admittedly looked pretty nice).

I didn't necessarily need the indoctrination theory to be true (although it would have been nice) I just needed some acknowledgment that the original ending was not anything close to the one we'd been promised. Instead, they patronized us, pulled a TV show style "everything is resolved at the end" (which many defenders of the original ending's finality might find a bit odd) and *still* manage to leave a pointlessly ambivalent scene where Shepard breathes at the very end. Why? I ask you, why the fuck is that scene even there? If they'd ended with Shepard's name being put on the board, and his crew mourning his loss, I would have been fine with that. If they had ended with Shepard triumphantly reuniting with his crew and his LI, that would have been fine too. It's this lazy ass "we're too idiotic to decide if our main character is dead or alive" ambiguous to be continued bullshit that really really pisses me off, especially after clarity and closure were the only two things they promised with the extended cut. As far as I'm concerned, we got neither.

Someone said they like it when TV Shows, Movies, Video Games or whatever don't feel they need to hold the audiences hand, but in this case, they are just dead wrong. Ambiguity has it's place, but refusing to resolve the simple matter of whether most important character in the entire trilogy is dead or not has nothing to do with artistic vision. It has nothing to do with providing deeper meaning. It has nothing to do with provoking discussion and giving greater depth to the ending. It's just a last non-committal *fuck you* to everyone who thought Bioware knew what they were doing.

tealc25

May 16, 2011
The endings Mass Effect needed, not the endings mass effect deserved.

But in all honesty I came to the realization 3 months ago that it was impossible for the ending of the trilogy to live up to 6 years oh hype.
But to bioware i say in the great words of
Da Orky Man said:
Bioware, I have a message for your entire production team:

Frakking brilliant job.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Uriain said:
boag said:
Its better than the original endings thats for sure, but right now im still disdainful to bioware and i hope they burn to the ground.
Its posts like these which do nothing but make the gamer community look like utter douchebags. You don't like the new endings fine. Think ME3 isnt a great game, I personall disagree with you but hey thats cool to.

Trying.. no Succeeding in being a giant jackass with a "I hope they burn to the ground" comment.. What purpose does that have in this particular thread OR in any general thread except maybe a "I hate Bioware and hope they burn to the ground" thread.

Less "I wanna be the cool edgy kid talking smack" from the community (as a whole) would be much appreciated, because comments like this, just make me want to say..

"Hey, its past your bedtime kid"
hey look at that, you keep repeating the same shit sentances that have been repeated to anyone that didnt like the original endings since the game came out.

Glad to know you guys ride that broken record as well.

Also

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/06/22/electronic-arts-citi-cuts-rating-sees-few-positive-catalysts/

Its not long before Bioware joins Westwood in the grave.

PuffinBox

Aug 29, 2011
Meh... I felt the same empty feeling as the original endings. I don't know if that's because I just finished seeing Blade Runner and I'm comparing them. Sure they fixed the plot holes but the elephant in the room is still there, not that I expected them to actually remove the kid.

Refusal ending is the only one I actually liked, even though its just a massive "fuck you" to everyone.

At least it gives me another reason to play this: