Meat eaters should have to kill for their food.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
WARNING: This is pretty much gonna be one of those self righteous, one sided, poorly written rants that have been done before, so feel free to ignore this and move on.

Let me start by saying that I was raised a vegetarian and have been a vegan for a few years, but what confuses a lot of people is that I'm not really anti-hunting. In fact, I respect those who hunt and kill animals for food far more than the average McDonald's customer. The reason for this is because the hunter at least understands the implications of his meal.

Many pro-meat advocates say that humans are omnivores and eating animals is part of the "circle of life", and I agree with this to an extent. The problem with this is that in the industrial age, we don't raise or prey on animals as much as we manufacture them. I know a lot of (usually female) people who say they'd never kill a chicken or a cow, yet they eat meat regularly. This is because they don't think of their burgers or chicken sandwiches as animals that were killed; instead, they think of them as delicious, cheap food that might have involved an animal at some point, "but it's already dead, so it's best not to think about it."

While it's not practical in modern times to slaughter your evening meal every day, everyone who eats meat should kill for their food at least once. If you can bring yourself to kill for food, then you have a stronger will than I do, and I have (almost) no problem with you eating meat. If you refuse to kill a cow, but demand 1$ Jr. Double Cheeseburgers, you're a hypocrite in denial, and I have no respect for you.

TL;DR: An animal was killed for you to have that sandwich, learn what it means to kill an animal.

EDIT: Just to clarify on a few things:

I said meat eaters should kill an animal at least once. That's my personal opinion; you can do whatever you want, not trying to force you to do anything.

The straw argument of "You should make an x before you use one." is ridiculous. We're talking about a process that involves the voluntary killing of something else, it's a bit different from wood carving/computer assembly ect... As far the "you should grow a plant before you eat one" argument goes: plants lack a nervous system and brain, so it's not really harming a plant to farm one, but for the record, I do have a decently sized vegetable garden in my backyard if it's any consolation.

It is true that every purchasing decision we make has implications we never see. Someone buys a pair of Nike sneakers, and they might have been made at a sweat shop that uses child labor; they just don't know or don't think about it. As a society, we need to learn more about the source of every product we buy, and make well informed purchasing decisions accordingly. I'm just arguing about the meat industry at the moment.

At the very least, you can learn about how animals are killed in factories via internet. It's not pretty, to say the least.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
You're both wrong and right...

You should be forced to grow your own food then. Thats your logic, dude.

Its way too impractical to force people to kill their food (and its retarded but thats a libertarian talking, so I'm all like "fuck government control and shit").

But you are right, this thread has been done before.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I own chickens. I love my chickens, some of them have names (we dont eat the family favs). However, we do eat them. Its not processed meat, its natural. In fact, if you eat meat this way it helps your immune system as opposed to buying red meat at the store.

It's hard to kill an animal, but I'm not so liberal as to be a vegetarean. However I find it interesting you point out mcDonalds... I try to sway all my friends from eating there. They dont buy American products, their beef is barely technically meat, and they are funding rainforest clearing and therefore the debeautification of Earth. I'm with you on the no McDonalds.

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
I agree that everyone should probably have to kill at least one thing and then make it into a steak, but not for every meal. Just... too impractical. Regardless, the levels of meat consumption in the country need to come down (although I'm very far from a vegetarian).

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
I would just like to make the counter point to the argument here. IF every meat-eater should have to kill their food in order to eat it, I posit that every vegetarian should have to grow there own food in order to appreciate how much extra work it takes for them to eat their fruits and vegetables every day.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I can see the logic of that...to an extent.

On the other hand, everybody has killed things, just not for eating. Why is it so different to kill a cow, say, than a, say, a cockroach?

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
i used to share your sentiments about this. i also believed you should have to kill your food at least once if you're gonna eat meat. not for every meal of course, that's impractical. just one time at the very least. then i started thinking deeper about it, and you start questioning the value of life in general, the value we consider lives different from our own in relation to thier absolute value, the definition of consciousness, etc. in the end, you realize it's all subjective and trying to objectify an opinion is futile.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Glass Joe the Champ said:
If you refuse to kill a cow, but demand 1$ Jr. Double Cheeseburgers, you're a hypocrite in denial, and I have no respect for you.
You've never heard of scavengers before?

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Grow and harvest your own plants then. Eat nothing else, or you're a hypocrite.

See where this is going?

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
WARNING: This is pretty much gonna be one of those self righteous, one sided, poorly written rants that have been done before, so feel free to ignore this and move on.

Let me start by saying that I was raised a vegetarian and have been a vegan for a few years, but what confuses a lot of people is that I'm not really anti-hunting. In fact, I respect those who hunt and kill animals for food far more than the average McDonald's customer. The reason for this is because the hunter at least understands the implications of his meal.

Many pro-meat advocates say that humans are omnivores and eating animals is part of the "circle of life", and I agree with this to an extent. The problem with this is that in the industrial age, we don't raise or prey on animals as much as we manufacture them. I know a lot of (usually female) people who say they'd never kill a chicken or a cow, yet they eat meat regularly. This is because they don't think of their burgers or chicken sandwiches as animals that were killed; instead, they think of them as delicious, cheap food that might have involved an animal at some point, "but it's already dead, so it's best not to think about it."

While it's not practical in modern times to slaughter your evening meal every day, everyone who eats meat should kill for their food at least once. If you can bring yourself to kill for food, then you have a stronger will than I do, and I have (almost) no problem with you eating meat. If you refuse to kill a cow, but demand 1$ Jr. Double Cheeseburgers, you're a hypocrite in denial, and I have no respect for you.

TL;DR: An animal was killed for you to have that sandwich, learn what it means to kill an animal.
I eat meat, and I already have the understanding and detachment to kill for food if I have to, but if you don't plant and harvest your own food, you're being a hypocrite. I could easily go on and on about how you can't appreciate the back-breaking labor that goes into growing grain, vegetables and fruit. That, and domestication ensures the survival of cows, chicken, ect., thus if we went back to hunting for our food they'd go extinct.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
You live in a house, you should build one at least once.

You use a computer, you should assemble one at least once.

You live on a planet. You should ascend to godhood and create one. At least once.

Yeah, it's a ridiculous argument. Especially when taken to ridiculous extremes to exaggerate how ridiculous it is.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
every person should build their own house. every person should learn how to make their own games. every person should produce their own electricity etc etc. i respect your values and opinion but what your asking is simply impractical and a wee but silly simply because YOU dont eat meat

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Honestly, if I got a serious offer by Vegans and Vegetarians to kill one Cow or a chicken and be able to eat my whole life without hearing their self righteous crap I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Srs bzns

Feb 4, 2011

I work in a butcher and have seen some pretty gruesome stuff. Is that good enough?

thaluikhain said:
I can see the logic of that...to an extent.

On the other hand, everybody has killed things, just not for eating. Why is it so different to kill a cow, say, than a, say, a cockroach?
Cockroach wouldn't be that tasty on skewer.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
Necromancer Jim said:
You live in a house, you should build one at least once.

You use a computer, you should assemble one at least once.

You live on a planet. You should ascend to godhood and create one. At least once.

Yeah, it's a ridiculous argument. Especially when taken to ridiculous extremes to exaggerate how ridiculous it is.
I ascended to godhood once. It was okay. Making the fjords was sort of tricky though...I wouldn't advise i to anyone. As a once god, I hereby decree everyone exempt from building a planet.

The Lord has spoken.

PleasantAsAHeadcrab

Jan 22, 2011
Ehhhh.
I disagree, 'cus I know I could never kill another living creature, no, not even a bug. ^^'

But, um, for what it's worth, I think we need to cut back on our meat consumption and stop treating the animals we eat like shit. Does that count for anything?

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
You haven't given us one good reason why we should do that. Except for "If you don't I don't like your hypocritical ass". First of all, it's not hypocritical and second, just because you want us to isn't really a good reason.

Besides, this argument is kind of faulty even if not killing for food and eating meat WOULD be hypocritical. Wouldn't not growing your own plants make you hypocritical? Wouldn't not making your own clothes make you hypocritical? Think about all the wooden furniture you have: did you cut down those trees? No? You're hypocrite.

It just doesn't work that way.

(For the record, I'm a meat lover and I actually have slaughtered an animal. But that's beside the point.)