Meat eaters should have to kill for their food.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I hate hurting animals as much as the next guy but quite honestly a few animals eaten by those who don't care is a lot better then those people that can't kill an animal painlessly. I think we should try to get the ones in captivity better lives first.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
and people who use electronics should be forced to learn about circuitry and programming and people who drink water should be forced to fetch it from a stream, people who use electricity should be forced to spend a month in a coal mine and anyone wanting to do any sort of engineering should be forced to re-derive modern trigonometry and calculus, or wait that's a terrible idea.
around the bronze age people figured out that if humanity is broken up into groups where some people do certain tasks and other people do other tasks then we can all benefit from specialization and not have to do things they don't want to.
So i make computer bits and don't want to kill an animal and you use a computer and don't want me to kill things, I'll become vegetarian if you never access the internet ever again.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
No, just no. We'd run out of deer 'n shit within a year. The reason why we don't run out of meat is because when you go to the store you don't buy an entire cow, you buy a small piece of it. People wouldn't be killing animals and only taking a small piece. Not to mention people would probably just hire someone to go kill stuff for them/buy it from some underground dealers which would kill the point, and that you're basically saying 'hey guys, let's be cavemen again!'.

Megahedron

Aug 27, 2010
It seems like a bit much for something this specific. Should we all have to work one day in a sweatshop before we're allowed to make a purchase at Wal-Mart? Maybe a day in the coal mines before you're allowed to turn on the AC. We really don't have a good grasp on what makes our lifestyles possible in general.

How about instead, at some point in our school years the kids have to watch a short documentary on how food is made, not the kind we already see, but something a more honest (read: violent or factory-like). Everyone gets a better idea of what's going on in the background, and hopefully they'll actually learn something. I mean, I know it's kinda weak, but having to drive busloads of teenagers to a (I assume specially outfitted) slaughter house so they can put a bullet to a herd of cattle seems a pretty extensive exercise. And (because I must include it) yes, I have killed something and eaten it. Only once, because it turns out I don't have the patience for hunting. And no, gutting an animal didn't stop me from eating it after it had been processed into sausage.

CodeOrange

Jun 7, 2011
Glass Joe the Champ said:
TL;DR: An animal was killed for you to have that sandwich, learn what it means to kill an animal.
Guess what! Plants are living too you know! That means that you have to grow everything you eat yourself or else you're a hypocrite!!!!1111 And why don't you start killing animals so you have the right to preach your bigoted nonsense?
"Herpderp I'm vegan not for of a healthy, alternative lifestyle, but because I'm too scared to be a part of my ideal society!" - You

Now that I've gotten your clear logic fallacy out of the way, lets start talking sense. The thing is, us "meat-eaters" don't kill to get our meat because we live in a society. And in a society, roles are given to certain people because you simply cannot afford to do everything to survive on one's own while partaking a role in society. There's just not enough time. It's not like the factory workers etc who made your computer have enough time to have their own personal farm to live off of?

And hey, I live in the city. So are you asking me to have a farm in the backyard of my apartment oh wait I don't have a backyard. Really, having venues of livestock in the city where people gather to kill their OWN animal, so that ONLY THEY can eat that animal is just stupid. Besides, cows are friggen huge. Animals are cut up into reasonable amounts at slaughterhouses and distributed at markets for all consumers to purchase because that's how society works.

I apologize if I had hurt your feelings, it's just that your line of thought is akin to a vegan-communist.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
TL;DR: An animal was killed for you to have that sandwich, learn what it means to kill an animal.
It really means nothing, but fine I'll go run over someones dog since you demand I kill animals

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
So a family of 4 would have to kill 4 animals per meal if they wanted meat for every meal...3 meals a day 7 times a week...you're crazy

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Don't forget how many animals are killed when a field is harvested - mice & rats, birds, other small animals. There are usually a lot living in any given field, many of whom die when the harvester chops them up or runs them over, as well as those that die from all the pesticides sprayed on the field. Vegetarianism is not a bloodless choice.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Let me start by saying that I was raised a vegetarian
Am I suppose to try and even understand after that statement.
From now on, whatever meat I eat Ill think of you and eat an extra piece.
Also do you grow and harvest your own veg/fruits-ALL OF THEMMMMmmmmm

ps- arent plants living things to?

Booradlee

Jul 3, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:
You live in a house, you should build one at least once.

You use a computer, you should assemble one at least once.

You live on a planet. You should ascend to godhood and create one. At least once.

Yeah, it's a ridiculous argument. Especially when taken to ridiculous extremes to exaggerate how ridiculous it is.
Nope, not ridiculous.

Many countries require forced military. While not something anyone wants to do, it teaches a lot.

How would it be if we were forced to spend a year building homes, a year farming, this would provide labor, training, and a pretty thorough education.

An Education on life, any life, could be just as important.
EDIT* I eat meat. I simply think too many people misunderstand life and death, and killing your own meal, and farming your own food just seems like something people should do once in their lives.

Also, i'm a mormon, so I'm okay with that creating that planet one.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Where do you think the paychecks of butchers and meat-farm-owners and all those people who process the animals come from? They come from the existent demand for tasty juicy meat!

We pay for people to kill animals, it's the same thing as ordering a muscle-person to do the dirty work for you cause you're too high-rank in the group to bother yourself, doesn't make you any less responsible, only less covered in blood and having less of a hard time going to bed because you don't actually have visual images of the horrid acts you're responsible for.

As for McDonald's, you're looking at it the wrong way. I hate it because I like animals! They're actually cheapening the sacrifice of the animal by making it into a trash-food aimed at the lowest common denominator of a diner.

Meat-eaters shouldn't all go faggy and be sad with each bite, they should simply honor the ingredient and prepare it in a way that makes it's sacrifice worth it. All those millions of cows turned shit-burger when they could be epic steaks/stir-frys/tartars or stews (for the cheaper cuts/offal) are truly wasted and due to that I don't care for fast food myself.

Mar 29, 2008
EVERYTHING we do has negative implications, these electronics we're using are largely produced in ways that flood various parts of the world's landscape/natural waterways with heavy metals, diets heavy in grains encourage mass land clearings and millions of gallons of poisons being sprayed into the air and seeping into ground water, the power we are using (regardless of location) is largely sourced by heavily polluting methods, every dollar in your pocket is a dollar someone else can't have, think about that when you hear about starvation rates.

In light of all of this, the life of an animal raised solely for the purpose of being butchered for meat is NOTHING. Animals are awesome, but we shouldn't anthropomorphize them, and we shouldn't stress out about non-endangered species being killed and eaten in responsible numbers when our actions indirectly kill PEOPLE every day.

If my words haven't swayed you then I propose a counter offer, if you want suggest plans like this then you will have to live by them too, and so to have a computer I say you should have to make a rural Chinese farmer drink heavy metal laced water until they develop cancer.

Yep, I too am a hypocrite in denial because I love what society offers, even though I know that lots of people are dying or impoverished because of my luxuries...but that's why I don't seriously try to crusade for some meaningless fluff morality.

/*EDIT: Though I think living for a year or two making all your actions contribute to your survival like living on a self-sufficient farm would be good for people, but that's probably my bias since that's how I was raised (also butchering an animal isn't much of a thing, especially when you raised it and saw first hand that it is a stupid stupid beast suitable only for eating).*/

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Not everyone cares about animals as you do, hell, most people don't.

Yeah sure, I don't like it when I hear of people abusing animals for no reason. But I couldn't care less about the feelings of the cow that supplied the roast beef for the sandwich I am currently eating. Animals are dumb, why should I care about animal that isn't even aware of its own existence?

I think Sam Neill knows more than some random person who's too afraid to eat meat.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:
You live in a house, you should build one at least once.

You use a computer, you should assemble one at least once.

You live on a planet. You should ascend to godhood and create one. At least once.

Yeah, it's a ridiculous argument. Especially when taken to ridiculous extremes to exaggerate how ridiculous it is.
Yep.

OP is silly. Very very silly.

Now I'm off to enjoy my homemade Shepard's Pie. Next please.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
The argument is flawed. Why have to kill something to eat meat? It's one thing not to mind having animals slaughtered so you can eat them, and quite another to end up a mess of blood and gore (everyone an experienced butcher? No? right then).

On the same tone I could say you should kill a man before ever calling the police again if you live in a state that supports the death penalty. At least keep a man locked up in your basement for a few months if not. It's the same logical/moral principle that applies.

Also going back to the meat argument, It's worth noting that only a few decades ago, most people did slaughter their own animals. The fact that we get our meat cleaned, sliced and basically ready for the grill has more to do with increasing demands for food in small, urban spaces, where you can't buy a whole cow and eat that for a few months, you'd just have no room to keep it, or enough people to eat it before it goes bad. The great demand for portion-sized chunks has made slaughtering animals into more of an industry the same way that the demand for cheap cars has turned auto manufacturing into an industry.

Also I really hope you've build your own car, and worked for at least a month on an oil rig, just to get an appreciation for how very difficult and dangerous oil is to extract... otherwise every time you fuel up, people have suffered for your fuel!

In the end, sorry, but your argument is just weak and doesn't work. I would have agreed with you if you'd said that the conditions for the animals raised for slaughter are horrible, and something should be done about THAT, but not eating them is not the way to do it.

Just to make a point about examining an issue on all sides, thing what would happen to the environment if everyone would suddenly stop eating meat. A bit over half of the greenhouse gasses produced in the world come from sheep and cattle. That's right, sheep and cattle's digestive systems produce just as much CO2 and others gasses as cars and industry do on a global level. If we wouldn't eat most of those animals, imagine how much worse global warming would be.

CodeOrange

Jun 7, 2011
Srs bzns said:
I work in a butcher and have seen some pretty gruesome stuff. Is that good enough?
Yes, but have you killed each and every animal you have ever eaten?
I know a lot of (usually female) people who say they'd never kill a chicken or a cow, yet they eat meat regularly.
Oh and while I'm at it, I'd just like to point out the blatant sexism in your post. My grandmother who grew up on a farm had culled plenty of livestock for food, from what I've heard from my parents.

zedel

Sep 16, 2010
This somewhat bothers me. Assuming the same standard was set to anything people eat. Now, I suppose you could grow and harvest plants, but how is that any different that eating an animal or its products? A plant is a beautiful living being and snuffing out its life or, in the case of fruit, potential lives should be treated with just as much respect(not the appropriate word). You seem to be claiming that a number of people don't have an understanding of how their actions affect other living creatures, but can you say that you do? Do you wash your hands? If so, do you acknowledge the lives of the microorganisms that you potentially killed? I don't mean to be attacking you, but I just feel that vegetarianism and veganism seem to disparage the value of certain types of organisms while, often, criticizing others for doing the same thing.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
We do, how do you think we get the money to BUY the meat we eat?

........Forget you ever heard that *flees*