Mech FPS 'Hawken' now in the prototype stages of destrucible environments.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
Destructible environments always seem to fascinate everyone. Now, mech FPS 'Hawken' is working on adding its own version of total chaos.

There are no planned dates for adding destructible environments into the game, but it looks like it will happen.

What do you think of this? As someone who is in the beta, I say destructible environments will completely change the game. Especially with balance, since cover reliant mechs are currently dominating the game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
All I can say is, AWESOME.

I mean, you never really feel like a giant walking tank until you blow up a building and watch it crumble to the ground.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I imagine it's a bit jarring shooting a building with rockets and not see it crumble down, this will do nicely.

Also, I'm now completely convinced someone needs to make a Starship Troopers mod of this game.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well yes visually it's great, as presentation of piloting a stompy mech goes Hawken gets top marks across the board for sure (except for missing all colors).

However this is fast paced competitive multiplayer and when you get into veteran games all that spazzy scenery is debilitating, you got microseconds to figure out your next shot and you can't fucking do that with all the fluffy shit randomly blinding you.
Not to mention anyone without nvidia under the hood gets fucked on frame rates because they use manufacturer specific software.

But hey maybe the dynamic changes in maps will make up for it, right now things do get stale rather fast.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Jdb said:
Destructible environments always seem to fascinate everyone. Now, mech FPS 'Hawken' is working on adding its own version of total chaos.

There are no planned dates for adding destructible environments into the game, but it looks like it will happen.

What do you think of this? As someone who is in the beta, I say destructible environments will completely change the game. Especially with balance, since cover reliant mechs are currently dominating the game.
I'm looking forward to this change, I've been playing the beta for a while now and I love how it is currently set up, but I would enjoy seeing a way for heavies to get at the hit and run scouts a bit easier. The other thing I look forward to is using my ToW to blow the cover away from a sniper hiding in a cutout.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Oooh that is very nice, would like to see some other mech games with this kind of engine

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Great, more Nvidia exclusive crap *rolls eyes*. I'm going to get my gaming PC very soon and going an AMD that is better, cheaper by $100 and comes with bioshock infinite and Crysis 3. The only thing Nvidia has to justify their upped prices is the fact that they managed to patent physX and shut everyone else out.

Either way though, it's always interesting to see how devs will include environmental destruction.