Mech Games

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I was thinking about it earlier today, and there is one genre of game I'd really like to get some love from soon.

I want mech game. Real bad. In particular, I'd love a new Chromehounds or Chromehounds-esque game. And if by some miracle of the gaming gods, there came a Steel Battilion 2, I think I'd positively have a coronary out of joy.

But since several prospects either don't look like they're coming (Mobile OPs: The One Year War and Mechwarrior) I feel my mech itch may go unscratched.

Why? Why has the world abandoned the mech game so? Why has an awesome mech game not blessed the consoles and PC since Chromehounds?

ScorpionPrince

Sep 15, 2009
While I fully agree that Steel Battalion 2 would be a gift from the gods(in fact im playing Steel Battalion right now), I think developpers are just unsure it will make any profit, and in these times of financial crisis, they need to be really sure that the eggs they lay are golden...

If only some some developper or group of developpers made a deal, similar to that of rockband/guitar hero, to make a next gen Steel Battalion-esque like controller, that could be used for a multitude of games, wich would up the chances of the whole endeavour being a succes...

If they could somehow combine the immersiveness and sense of accomplishment of steel battalion with the level of customisation, speed of play and awesome multiplayer of other mech games... Oh, the joy to be had...

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
well be happy. There's a new mechwarrior in the works now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2kulLraaY) and to celebrate this release, they are releasing mechwarrior 3, 4 (both mercanaries and vengence) for FREE. http://mektek.net/

Omni-Bot

Jul 5, 2009
Yea, I'd like to see a new Mech game too. Since From Software (makers of Chromehounds, Demon's Souls, the Tenchu series, and the Armored Core series) have really improved the quality of their games recently I hope that they will eventually re-visit and completely re-imagine the Armored Core franchise. If there was a mech game that took the good things from Chromehounds and Armored Core it would probably be fantastic. Right now, CH and AC are on opposite sides of the same genera, with CH being too slow and having a lego-like mech-building process, and AC being to fast and having a checklist-like mech-building process.

As of now though, the only hope we have for a AAA mech game is if there is going to be a Zone of the Enders 3.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Battletech did it first, Battletech did it best. Mechwarrior was just Battletech from the POV of one mech pilot.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I seem to be the only person I know who actually likes Armored Core 4 (Haven't played 5) yeah it was short but I loved the customization, great graphics, and fast-paced action. I'd reccommend it to fellow customization junkies like myself.

I had one badass mech named Royal Flush, he was black, red and white and his symbol was the four suits. Super fast with a machine gun and a beam sword, thought I'd just throw that out there.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Battletech was always my favourite giant robot universe. They weren't created as weapons, they were created for mining, then adapted to warfare. No matter how they progressed, they always had that industrial feel to them that I loved so very much.

UAProxy

Sep 11, 2009
I was always a fan of Mechwarrior and Armored Core, as well as Phantom Crash and S.L.A.I.

Mechs are always awesome.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Robert0288 said:
well be happy. There's a new mechwarrior in the works now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2kulLraaY) and to celebrate this release, they are releasing mechwarrior 3, 4 (both mercanaries and vengence) for FREE. http://mektek.net/
They're releasing those classics free of charge? Damn... I think it's time to dial down my graphics standards and fire up the reactor of my MadCat again. :)

And I have to say that I have high hopes for the new Mechwarrior game. I mean, the old ones were (imo) very entertaining, so I don't see why the developers would cock this one up.

Akas

Feb 7, 2008
If you don't mind a little strategy in your mech games, might I suggest a little series that I'm crazy about: Front Mission. It's sooo much fun, the story is actually complex and engaging, the customization is insane, and the cool stuff you can do is unlimited.

A couple of vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsurjPmFQEE (Front Mission Evolved trailer, newest one)
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ilskLDANY&feature=video_response[/url] (a "combo" chain of skills, even if it's only one)

Dr. Love

Apr 18, 2009
Dam that does bring back the good memories, specially liked mechassault though mechassault 2 kinda killed it for me.

another good battletech series is mechcommander, first one has an expansion or two and mechcommander 2 is a very good game as well

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
wouldyoukindly99 said:
I had one badass mech named Royal Flush, he was black, red and white and his symbol was the four suits. Super fast with a machine gun and a beam sword, thought I'd just throw that out there.
He sounds delightful, however, instead of the four suits it should have been five of one suit. Five diamonds. Diamonds are forever.

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
I loved Chromehounds. My squad was awesome. Rest in peace Chromehounds servers. Sal Kar Forever!

Seekster

May 28, 2008
I would love to see a mechwarriors 5. I still play 4 a lot and even with the graphics it is still much more fun than plenty of games today.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
On the mektek site they've got their own Mechwarrior game in production called Assault Tech and it's a ton of fun.
Not only it includes aspects from the classic game, but combines the best gameplay details from the three most popular MechWarrior games (Mechwarrior 2/3/4) as well as it implements new Classic Battletech rules that were long awaited by most die-hard Battletech fans, and looks forward to include even more control over other types of units aside from the well known 'Mechs.