Mechwarrior Online Goes to Town

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mechwarrior Online Goes to Town

Urban combat in Mechwarrior has never looked prettier than it does in River City.

Futuristic cityscapes are the best and the worst of all possible Mechwarrior settings. The best, because what could be cooler than blasting your way through claustrophobic city streets, jumping onto buildings and turning everything around you into rubble , while hot, searing death awaits around every corner? And worst, because no Mechwarrior game, at least none that I've ever seen, has ever come close to actually doing it justice. The best urban combat experience I've ever had in a mech, without exaggeration, came from the Battletech 3056 MUSE, which displayed events in top-down ASCII screens and left the rest to the imagination.

Will Mechwarrior Online be the game that finally brings those suffocating close quarters to life? There's no denying that the River City trailer is awfully pretty, and the map seems ideal for the up-close-and-personal knife-fighting and "death from above" tactics that city combat is known for. River City is a mixed-environment setting, with plenty of opportunities for long-range bombardments, but the focus is obviously on the city streets, which have been devastated by months of mech combat.

It looks and sounds pretty fantastic, but I'm a bit put off by what appear to be indestructible buildings and other structures. It's a small thing in some ways, but it's also very distracting when a poorly-aimed alpha strike slams into the side of a parking garage and absolutely nothing happens. The lasers sweeping across the face of the building at around the 2:08 mark of the trailer don't even leave a scar.

On the other hand, it's giant fighting robots slugging it out in a burning, blasted city. That's the sort of thing that buys a lot of forgiveness.

The free-to-play Mechwarrior Online [http://mwomercs.com/] is currently scheduled to come out later this year.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
buildings NEED to be destructible i'd love to level a building that an enemy's hiding behind

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Looks fun and makes for an excellent representation of what MechWarrior needed to become in current gaming.

OT; River City looks like a great addition to the map rotation.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
Croaker42 said:
Got in as a founder at the beginning of the beta. Its fun and makes for an excellent representation of what MechWarrior needed to become in current gaming.

Did someone just break NDA?

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
TechTim said:
buildings NEED to be destructible i'd love to level a building that an enemy's hiding behind
While this would undoubtedly be fun, wouldn't it cause people to preemptively level entire sections of the city on the off chance of an ambush? I suppose they could limit destruction to only sertain kind of weaponry, LRM's and such, to try and curb the behaviour.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Senarrius said:
Croaker42 said:
Looks fun and makes for an excellent representation of what MechWarrior needed to become in current gaming.

Yep.
You now know that the game is fun and a logical step in the franchise.
Boy those spoilers....

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
Croaker42 said:
Senarrius said:
Croaker42 said:
Its fun and makes for an excellent representation of what MechWarrior needed to become in current gaming.

Yep.
You now know that the game is fun and a logical step in the franchise.
Boy those spoilers....
It's not down to spoilers, it's down to and NDA. When I sign one I adhere to it.
Besides any Mechwarrior fan would be silly Not to have a look at this.
Being a Founder myself, I cannot wait for it's release.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
One thing people need to remember is that even the graphics are not complete. The Devs were talking about implementing CryEngine 3.4 as the main engine, bringing with it vast improvements in visuals and performance.

At the moment they're still using 3.0.

They'll also be attending PAX, so going for the Q&A should be rather insightful.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Senarrius said:
At the moment they're still using 3.0.
Yep, and the battlefields already look mighty pretty while stomping around in them.
Am I glad Piranha Games decided to implement those Founder packs. ^^

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech:_The_Crescent_Hawk%27s_Revenge

a better mech game has yet to be made

I'm still psyched for mechwarrior online though

After the major disappointment that was Magic the Gathering Tactics I hope that this is a functional game not just a pretty one.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
On the subject of destructible buildings... I think what's needed is very durable buildings that crumble and shatter in a manner that's believable and natural (And probably a pain in the ass to code).

On the Strategy of leveling the city to deny enemies cover, buildings need to be durable enough that doing so requires a great expenditure of time and ammunition to actually level entire city blocks.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
nikki191 said:
actually if they had a model like world of tanks where you are paying for ammo costs it could cut down on it. but yeah how would you stop absue from energy weapons? just not make them as effective against buildings maybe

all up it looks awesime. and i can already hear the screams of HAX!!!! and this is so bullshit they need to remove feature or vehicle x
That's a very stupid model and borderline Pay2Win, the davs have already stated this is a proper free2play game, with the only things you can buy is a permium account which grants +25% XP and CBills for a time and a founders pack which gives you some early Closed Beta Access, a premium account and possibly some free mechs.

Other than that it'll follow a similar format to Tribes, without having to buy weapons though. You can buy those with normal cbills and they mentioned implementing a Salvage feature from mech you have disabled.

Destructible environments and imporoved graphics are comiing, they're not even showing the engine build they're using in house yet. The videos and beta is using CryEngine 3.0, the Devs mentioned they'll be implementing 3.4 as their main engine. Bringing with it DX11 support, improved performance and visuals. After that more optimizations and improvemenes to the engine.

Also I'd like to know where the Escapist got the idea that the game is releaseing later this year? Judging from DEV Q&A it won't be out this year.