Medal Of Honor Warfighter Review

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Medal Of Honor Warfighter Review

A shooter in which you fight doors, er, wars.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
You know, I find it kinda funny that people honestly say that the Escapist has sold out to EA when they give reviews like this. Rather accurate "meh" reviews.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ouch it might not sell well after all....

erttheking said:
You know, I find it kinda funny that people honestly say that the Escapist has sold out to EA when they give reviews like this. Rather accurate "meh" reviews.
This is not one of their main titles desu.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Well, I most definitely did not see this one coming, especially here on the Escapist, since you uploaded your previous two songs that you did just for fun (I'm very certain there's a shorter way of saying that) on Youtube. As for the song itself, it was pretty nice. Nothing spectacular like your work normally is, but hey, I don't think anyone asked for this, which makes me completely okay with that.

EDIT: Wait, this is the comment section for the review of the game? Damn.

EDIT #2: Wait wait, this is Gavin's review and he made a song to accompany it? Now I'm really confused.

shadowslayer81

May 9, 2011
While funny and everything, it just doesn't feel too much like a song for a minute long.
It just doesn't feel right, sorry.

Oops got here from the Miracle of Song thing, and had no idea it was a review >_>

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Bringing back "Miracle's Whip", [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/326.189775.5891239] eh? ;)

Nice review anyways, Gav.
Looking forward to see more reviews, if you're planning on doing more. :)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Yeah, it might be slightly confusing but this is a fun little add-on for Gavin's review of Medal of Honor. We just uploaded it to his gallery instead of the normal reviews one.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
ZippyDSMlee said:

erttheking said:
You do know that the 2010 Medal of Honor sold 5 million copies right?

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Whelp,that review confirms what I've been seeing and hearing: It's trying to do what's been done before,and even then...Meh. Modern Military FPS. You played one,you played them all.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Amazing stuff! Sounds like it could be the theme tune to an early 90's action cartoon!

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
Gavin Dunne, why are you so f*cking awesome even when making parodies of shitty games?

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Even when making a song that's meant to insult the brand it's representing, it's still catchy and awesome. I almost expected a power ballad in there.

In regards to the review, I love seeing Gavin let out his angry side. I bet he visualized some of those doors being the faces of publishers and developers.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, the GOOD news about the game is: The driving is apparently really good. WMaybe a bit wonky driving-physics, but that's excusable considering that it's an FPS with no actual vehicles... I think, it deserves the nickname "Wardriver" and can at least wear THAT thing proud.
Funfact - the driving section run on their own .exe and the game quits and boots up again if you start one of those (MOHW for normal, MOHWD for driving).

If the bloody thing would work, that is. A friend of mine played it through and it took him about four hours - despite him dying multiple times, being stuck due missing or broken scripts (at one point, he had to restart the entire mission TWICE simply because an imporant NPC died - yet the game never noticed because said NPC was supposed to be invincible. At another point, he had a bush, that pretty much ate his grenades: Thrown in, nothing happened.)
5 to 6 hours for the campaign is probably a bit too much. 3 to 4 hours are more like it.

On the other hand... it allowed RE6 to say that it is NOT the worst game of the year because RE6 at least works for the most part. :p

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Note on the song: I don't think people in the military wear steel toed boots anymore. Think it might be because it's actually more likely to chop off/crush your toes than non steel toed boots if something large/heavy enough lands on your feet.

Please keep in mind, I may be wrong, but then again, when my older brothers came back from the Army and Marines respectively, their boots lacked steel toes, and when they bought replacement military boots, they too lacked steel toes.

Onto the review, I'm a bit surprised you've done one. Guess you love your mon-ays! :p

Are we to expect more of them in the future?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
erttheking said:
People say that?

Anyway, this is game that actually kills you for walking off the path. It's like they went out of their way to make generic linear shooting even worse. Maybe its a cry for help. Judging by the review, I'm surprised to see it even garner a 2 and 1/2. I can only imagine the half star is demonstrative of the Escapist's vassalage to EA.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Gav should review more!

And speaking of Team America, the song, to me, evoked the kind of parody song that Parker/Stone would do...

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Hm. I heard someone say the story was very good for an FPS. I think I'll stick to Spec Ops: The Line.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
The best thing about the game is clearly that it inspired the song 'Door Fighter'

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
maninahat said:
erttheking said:
People say that?
People say that about EVERY reviewer. You can't put pen to paper without someone claiming you're either taking bribes from $BIG_PUBLISHER for good reviews or $THE_COMPETITION for bad ones.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Gav reviewed Warfighter also? I must look into this.

As I am here from Doorfighter, though, I shall leave this comment:

Fuck doors. Seriously, why is it in almoast every FPS I play, I can open a stupid fucking wooden door? Im carrying enough guns, ammo, and explosives to level a small African village[footnote][sub]Ouch, that went somewhere it shoudlnt...[/sub][/footnote], but I cant get through a wooden door?

*Edit*

Read review, nothing new.

I guess Ill stick with COD and Halo.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:

erttheking said:
Not for want of trying to make it one. However, both games in the reboot have been pretty mediocre, for all their vaunted accuracy.

/silver spoon

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Gotta say, those door kicks were awesome. Im glad you enjoyed the game Gav. :p Some of them were pretty awesome though.

Honestly though, I havent played the single player yet, but the multiplayer is freakin amazing, especially when I play with a good buddy who is well trained in the military and we move like a damn unit. Yeah.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
soren7550 said:
Note on the song: I don't think people in the military wear steel toed boots anymore. Think it might be because it's actually more likely to chop off/crush your toes than non steel toed boots if something large/heavy enough lands on your feet.

Please keep in mind, I may be wrong, but then again, when my older brothers came back from the Army and Marines respectively, their boots lacked steel toes, and when they bought replacement military boots, they too lacked steel toes.

Onto the review, I'm a bit surprised you've done one. Guess you love your mon-ays! :p

Interesting. It doesn't matter anyway because the dudes in this game have TOES OF PURE STEEL

And as for more reviews, we'll see, I was asked to do this one as I'm a big FPS person who would know his way around the multiplayer bits. We''ll see how things go :)

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
maninahat said:
erttheking said:
People say that?

Anyway, this is game that actually kills you for walking off the path. It's like they went out of their way to make generic linear shooting even worse. Maybe its a cry for help. Judging by the review, I'm surprised to see it even garner a 2 and 1/2. I can only imagine the half star is demonstrative of the Escapist's vassalage to EA.
You're...you're kidding, right?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:

erttheking said:
Actually EA did pay me to give it a medium to middling review, to debunk bribing evidence found by some internet gaming super spy,named 'Zippy Lee' or something like that.

[small]Not really[/small]

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:

erttheking said:
A big budget shooter that they pumped a boatload of money to? Yeah, I think this is pretty high on their list. And considering that the last one sold pretty well, I imagine they thought they could get it to possibly slightly rival CoD, ergo it is a main title.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Song sounded good.

Game looked horribly dull, were those NPCs just standing there and not shooting back? I mean even the dumbest AI moves and shoots right?

Or maybe it was just limited footage, not a clue about the game and to be honest not all that interested.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I personally find it hilarious how they constantly talk about Tier 1 in reference to this game, but having known guys who have been so called Tier One operatives, they have never used that term before. None of them have said, "I'm a Tier One operator for the Navy!" They say, I am/was a Navy SEAL. It's just hard for me to mentally reconcile using broad spectrum language like that for very specialized and individualized units. All Tier One units don't do the same thing. The point is that they are ultra specialized, as in not for every situation.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Is it me or does this game look like MOH and battlefield have been on will it blend?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
So it seems boots are the key to victory.
erttheking said:
Not EA, Bioware.

Jan 27, 2011
Soo...The biggest "innovation" that works (the fire team thing) is something that's ALREADY been done in Army of two?

........Yeah, I'm not impressed.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
You would think that the Medal of Honor franchise would have enough mud on it that they'd just give up and try to make a new franchise to get gullible people to buy into. When I see Medal of Honor in the title I know I can safely skip it, as it'll be a average CoD clone at it's absolute best.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Love the song!

Total Biscuit has a vid that perfectly shows a great example of dieing when doing something the game doesn't want you to that Gav talked about.

I'd link it but it might be considered to be in bad taste to post it here in Gav's review.

EDIT:

MiracleOfSound said:
I'm always happy to have some TotalBiscuit on my threads ;) The guy is outspoken, funny and brutally honest, all of which I admire.
Alrighty then:

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Love the song!

Total Biscuit has a vid that perfectly shows a great example of dieing when doing something the game doesn't want you to that Gav talked about.

I'd link it but it might be considered to be in bad taste to post it here in Gav's review.
I'm always happy to have some TotalBiscuit on my threads ;) The guy is outspoken, funny and brutally honest, all of which I admire.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I enjoyed the music, and I might actually have to download the song. It is short yet entertaining.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I know this complaint is out of your control, but it is really having to watch a 32 second AC3 trailer every time I want to watch the 1 minute and 4 second song.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I often think EA bashing is overdone. I may understand plenty of the reasons behind it, but I still think the extent to which it is taken is a little ludicrous much of the time.

In this case however, I am quite happy to jump right on the bandwagon, torch and pitchfork in hand. Medal of Honor: Frontline was the first game I ever remember loving. Hell, I even thought Airborne was good. How dare you EA, for turning this franchise into nothing more than a glorified Battlefield beta. How dare you.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
hmmm... ok I know the games not that great, but I wonder if some of this angst isn't coming from the fact the military shooter is running its course...it's

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
erttheking said:
Oddly, I've never actually seen anyone say that.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
An informative and very entertaining review, I hope to see more reviews from you Gav~!

My brother loves military shooters, I'll make a point to warn him away from this one (and maybe motion him towards Battlefield?).

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Dango said:
erttheking said:
Oddly, I've never actually seen anyone say that.
I usually hear it from people who aren't escapists, but still that's rare.

OT: Is weird that I actually wish the song was full length? It was so goofy and over the top, but it also had the "Fuck Yeah" adrenaline pumping thing going on :)

I remember the last Medal of Honor game I played was rising sun. It wasn't really a great game, but damn if it doesn't seem like Half life or Halo: CE (SHUTUP, HALO IS AWESOME!) compared to this... exercise in masochism. You can't explore? At all? Not even the token branching linear kind of stuff in the good CODs? Seriously, I know FPS's aren't renowned for exploration, but I could explore at least a little in Half life, Time shift, Halo (Mombasa anyone?), and even Goldeneye. Why would I play an FPS that aspires to be a horrible rail shooter?

This genre depresses me now-a-days. I'm going back to Skyrim. I still need to do a Khajiit sneak-thief play-through

Anyway, nice review Gav.

MrGalactus

Sep 18, 2010
So tired, cliche-ridden, bug-plagued games 2 notable shining moments gets a 2-and-a-half star dead average? Jesus, what would a game have to do to be considered worse than average?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
razer17 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

erttheking said:
A big budget shooter that they pumped a boatload of money to? Yeah, I think this is pretty high on their list. And considering that the last one sold pretty well, I imagine they thought they could get it to possibly slightly rival CoD, ergo it is a main title.
Mmmmm one can only have so many main tittles. This is more a spin off that's trying to make a name for itself and is failing at it.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
MrGalactus said:
So tired, cliche-ridden, bug-plagued games 2 notable shining moments gets a 2-and-a-half star dead average? Jesus, what would a game have to do to be considered worse than average?
Remember our scores are a little more recommendations than a straight technical breakdown.

What Our Review Scores Mean [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean]

It's not so broken as to be completely nonfunctional and there's still enough there that fans will enjoy it. A truly bad and under average game would be something like X-Men Destiny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9156-X-Men-Destiny-Review].

MrGalactus

Sep 18, 2010
Slycne said:
MrGalactus said:
Remember our scores are a little more recommendations than a straight technical breakdown.

What Our Review Scores Mean [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean]

It's not so broken as to be completely nonfunctional and there's still enough there that fans will enjoy it. A truly bad and under average game would be something like X-Men Destiny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9156-X-Men-Destiny-Review].
Ooooh. Well under that qualification, the score makes perfect sense. I shall close my mouth forever.
Also, I thoroughly enjoyed that X_Men destiny review. I love it when people hate things.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
"Sadly it is let down by the hamfisted emotional linchpin of the main character's terrifyingly animated wife and demon child from the darkest, dead-eyed depths of the uncanny valley. I can never unsee it."

Hahahaha. So many priceless quotes in this review.

You know EA, with the millions you spent on this game you could've at least used that money to give us a new Mirror's Edge. Just sayin'.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
You spend 2/3-3/4 of the review talking about the bad parts of the game and then give it a 2.5/5 (effectively, 5/10, in other words- the game was average)?! How bad does a game have to be to get a bad score?!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I'd like to see a first person shooter from the middle east where you have to defend your country from ignorant corn-fed G.I Joe stereotypes running around screaming "fuck yeah!" and "this one's for Jeebus!" while raping women and children and accidentally killing each other between random war crimes. It would be interesting to see how many people who play these MOH and COD games start kicking off about 'propaganda' when the shoes on the other foot!!

MagmaMan

Apr 2, 2012
I seem to remember someone with EA tweeting about how Call of Duty is "looking tired" and should rest for a bit. Well, who's the tired one now?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
-Dragmire- said:
Love the song!

i laughed when i saw that but i didnt realise until this review that getting killed for steping where the game doesnt want you to will kill you was usual practice for this game.

hes not wrong then it is dragons lair but with guns

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Have Danger Close actually made anything that was half decent? I wanted to see another developer try Frostbite 2, maybe it is as difficult to work with as DICE have claimed...I guess I'll wait and see if fauxBioware do any better with the C&C gane.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Nice review from Gav here. Nice that he tied in a song with it. :p Is he going to be doing more reviews for the Escapist?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
5ilver said:
You spend 2/3-3/4 of the review talking about the bad parts of the game and then give it a 2.5/5 (effectively, 5/10, in other words- the game was average)?! How bad does a game have to be to get a bad score?!
Because reviews should always have a score whose number is identical to ratio of time spent talking about the good bits of game, right? Right? Wrong.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
That was awesome! I wonder if we can convince Susan to sing her next video supplement.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
The worst part of it is that it's so short
Extended version would be nice
Otherwise- awesome song

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
JonnWood said:
maninahat said:
erttheking said:
People say that?

I was trying to think up a smart arsed reply for you, but I couldn't think of anything.

Yes, I was kidding.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I would like to see a truly innovative realistic military shooter where the first mission is being put on guard duty for the base and seeing absolutely nothing for 2 hours. Eventually, you suddenly see a bunch of men come over a hill yelling and after shooting them you find out they were unarmed civilians and the next 10 missions are proceedings for a military tribunal.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
maninahat said:
JonnWood said:
maninahat said:
erttheking said:
People say that?

I was trying to think up a smart arsed reply for you, but I couldn't think of anything.

Yes, I was kidding.
I'm fairly positive the guy was talking about the killing when straying off path bit, not the EA bit. :p

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
Australia
"After Spec Ops: The Line completely dominated our genre and exposed it for the stupidity that it is, I think this would be the perfect time to release this game" said someone, at some stage at EA.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I suspect the problem with MMS games (as Totalbiscuit described them in his video) is simply a lack of guts. People want these games set in modern times, but due to politics and fear of accusations of bigotry/racism/nationalism and backlash they are afraid to really let people go in them as a sandbox. Basically with the kinds of violence we see over trailers for movies like "Innocence Of Muslims", which the goverments of the Western World refused to take any retaliatory action for, and even hunted down the guy who made it on fairly irrelevent charges for his free speech rights, just imagine the results if someone was to say made videos of themselves doing all kinds of brutal "Grand Theft Auto" type stuff. If the real life versions of the bad guys in question got uppity it's not like our goverment would shut them down, they would blame the people playing the game, and then ultimatly the game's creator.

To an extent I blame Obama (US President) for not only being non-aggressive, but also being what amounts to a US apologist on the big issues. I can also see why under his reign people have been less than eager to put their free speech right to the test, and expect goverment protection of that right. "Innocence Of Muslims" simply being one incident, but for the last few years we've been seeing outcries against the politically incorrect, and distasteful content in video games. I'm not going to spell that out (don't bother to ask) because it's out there and easy enough to find for anyone who really wants to, and it's increasingly off subject.

The basic point here is that this very linear and scripted campaign pretty much ensures anything the player does is going to fit clearly within a set of guidelines, performing specifing lasing activities, entering the doors your supposed to the way your supposed to, etc... there isn't much room for people to committ "virtual war crimes" within the single player at least, "virtual war crimes" being what would be considered "having fun" to most gamers being more or less what you do in properly open world games.

If you had some guy in CoD say deciding the lase random mosques to increase a kill count, waiting for Muslims to come out for prayer before setting off a bunch of claymores, or just generally decided to drive jeeps and tanks around towns and villages randomly killing everyone and everything insurgent or otherwise, there is probably some concern the goverment will act against the company making the game, or we'd see retaliatory strikes, or whatever else if the videos went up on the internet.

Please note that nothing I'm describing is really any differant that what you'd do in say "Grand Theft Auto(series) ", "Mercenaries (2)", "Saints Row (series)" or "Just Cause (2)" to name just a few. It's just the whole "modern warfare" theme makes it so that there is probably fear about creating a chaos theme park, especially given the setting and focus on real places.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Ferisar said:
maninahat said:
JonnWood said:
maninahat said:
erttheking said:
People say that?

Yes, I was kidding.
I'm fairly positive the guy was talking about the killing when straying off path bit, not the EA bit. :p
Heh, come to think of it, the instant heart attack thing does actually sound even more ridiculous.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
xplosive59 said:
Amazing stuff! Sounds like it could be the theme tune to an early 90's action cartoon!

This..... Totally this.

I just thought, Gav could do an awesome Power Rangers opening theme.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
2.5 stars = Failure.

Last MOH title = Failure.

EA CEO's are pulling their golden parachutes and selling shares fast!

Maybe they can sell to disney, lmao.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
soren7550 said:

Interesting. It doesn't matter anyway because the dudes in this game have TOES OF PURE STEEL
I don't know about that. From what I've seen, these soldiers will die from stubbing their toe on certain terrain!

IMAGinES

Jun 1, 2009
Nice song, Gav!

Oh! Review, too?

Hey! Good review also!

(Does this mean a Resident Evil 6 review is on the way?)

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
GAVIN YOU DO REVIEWS NOW? :O

Escapist is now officially my favourite site for game reviews.

[small]why no im not saying that just because im a huge fan of your music..[/small]

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Very funny review, Gavin! You've summed up what's wrong with modern military shooters in general and the direction the Medal of Honor franchise in particular. Makes me wonder who's at fault here, the real-life tier 1 operatives who wrote the story, or the designers for making the game into what you described: barely played & almost unplayable?