The worst part of it is that it's so short
Extended version would be nice
Otherwise- awesome song

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
JonnWood said:
maninahat said:
erttheking said:
You know, I find it kinda funny that people honestly say that the Escapist has sold out to EA when they give reviews like this. Rather accurate "meh" reviews.
People say that?

Anyway, this is game that actually kills you for walking off the path. It's like they went out of their way to make generic linear shooting even worse. Maybe its a cry for help. Judging by the review, I'm surprised to see it even garner a 2 and 1/2. I can only imagine the half star is demonstrative of the Escapist's vassalage to EA.
You're...you're kidding, right?
I was trying to think up a smart arsed reply for you, but I couldn't think of anything.

Yes, I was kidding.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I would like to see a truly innovative realistic military shooter where the first mission is being put on guard duty for the base and seeing absolutely nothing for 2 hours. Eventually, you suddenly see a bunch of men come over a hill yelling and after shooting them you find out they were unarmed civilians and the next 10 missions are proceedings for a military tribunal.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
maninahat said:
JonnWood said:
maninahat said:
erttheking said:
You know, I find it kinda funny that people honestly say that the Escapist has sold out to EA when they give reviews like this. Rather accurate "meh" reviews.
People say that?

Anyway, this is game that actually kills you for walking off the path. It's like they went out of their way to make generic linear shooting even worse. Maybe its a cry for help. Judging by the review, I'm surprised to see it even garner a 2 and 1/2. I can only imagine the half star is demonstrative of the Escapist's vassalage to EA.
I was trying to think up a smart arsed reply for you, but I couldn't think of anything.

Yes, I was kidding.
I'm fairly positive the guy was talking about the killing when straying off path bit, not the EA bit. :p

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
"After Spec Ops: The Line completely dominated our genre and exposed it for the stupidity that it is, I think this would be the perfect time to release this game" said someone, at some stage at EA.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I suspect the problem with MMS games (as Totalbiscuit described them in his video) is simply a lack of guts. People want these games set in modern times, but due to politics and fear of accusations of bigotry/racism/nationalism and backlash they are afraid to really let people go in them as a sandbox. Basically with the kinds of violence we see over trailers for movies like "Innocence Of Muslims", which the goverments of the Western World refused to take any retaliatory action for, and even hunted down the guy who made it on fairly irrelevent charges for his free speech rights, just imagine the results if someone was to say made videos of themselves doing all kinds of brutal "Grand Theft Auto" type stuff. If the real life versions of the bad guys in question got uppity it's not like our goverment would shut them down, they would blame the people playing the game, and then ultimatly the game's creator.

To an extent I blame Obama (US President) for not only being non-aggressive, but also being what amounts to a US apologist on the big issues. I can also see why under his reign people have been less than eager to put their free speech right to the test, and expect goverment protection of that right. "Innocence Of Muslims" simply being one incident, but for the last few years we've been seeing outcries against the politically incorrect, and distasteful content in video games. I'm not going to spell that out (don't bother to ask) because it's out there and easy enough to find for anyone who really wants to, and it's increasingly off subject.

The basic point here is that this very linear and scripted campaign pretty much ensures anything the player does is going to fit clearly within a set of guidelines, performing specifing lasing activities, entering the doors your supposed to the way your supposed to, etc... there isn't much room for people to committ "virtual war crimes" within the single player at least, "virtual war crimes" being what would be considered "having fun" to most gamers being more or less what you do in properly open world games.

If you had some guy in CoD say deciding the lase random mosques to increase a kill count, waiting for Muslims to come out for prayer before setting off a bunch of claymores, or just generally decided to drive jeeps and tanks around towns and villages randomly killing everyone and everything insurgent or otherwise, there is probably some concern the goverment will act against the company making the game, or we'd see retaliatory strikes, or whatever else if the videos went up on the internet.

Please note that nothing I'm describing is really any differant that what you'd do in say "Grand Theft Auto(series) ", "Mercenaries (2)", "Saints Row (series)" or "Just Cause (2)" to name just a few. It's just the whole "modern warfare" theme makes it so that there is probably fear about creating a chaos theme park, especially given the setting and focus on real places.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Ferisar said:
maninahat said:
JonnWood said:
maninahat said:
erttheking said:
People say that?

Yes, I was kidding.
I'm fairly positive the guy was talking about the killing when straying off path bit, not the EA bit. :p
Heh, come to think of it, the instant heart attack thing does actually sound even more ridiculous.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
xplosive59 said:
Amazing stuff! Sounds like it could be the theme tune to an early 90's action cartoon!

This..... Totally this.

I just thought, Gav could do an awesome Power Rangers opening theme.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
2.5 stars = Failure.

Last MOH title = Failure.

EA CEO's are pulling their golden parachutes and selling shares fast!

Maybe they can sell to disney, lmao.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
soren7550 said:
Note on the song: I don't think people in the military wear steel toed boots anymore. Think it might be because it's actually more likely to chop off/crush your toes than non steel toed boots if something large/heavy enough lands on your feet.

Please keep in mind, I may be wrong, but then again, when my older brothers came back from the Army and Marines respectively, their boots lacked steel toes, and when they bought replacement military boots, they too lacked steel toes.

Onto the review, I'm a bit surprised you've done one. Guess you love your mon-ays! :p

Are we to expect more of them in the future?
Interesting. It doesn't matter anyway because the dudes in this game have TOES OF PURE STEEL
I don't know about that. From what I've seen, these soldiers will die from stubbing their toe on certain terrain!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I got a real Jack Black vibe from this, anyway, funny video.

IMAGinES

Jun 1, 2009
Nice song, Gav!

Oh! Review, too?

Hey! Good review also!

(Does this mean a Resident Evil 6 review is on the way?)

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
GAVIN YOU DO REVIEWS NOW? :O

Escapist is now officially my favourite site for game reviews.

[small]why no im not saying that just because im a huge fan of your music..[/small]

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Very funny review, Gavin! You've summed up what's wrong with modern military shooters in general and the direction the Medal of Honor franchise in particular. Makes me wonder who's at fault here, the real-life tier 1 operatives who wrote the story, or the designers for making the game into what you described: barely played & almost unplayable?