Media Sandwich: Media Sandwich Episode 4

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
If you get Egoraptor, can you convince him to do sequelitis on the Escapist?
Er, considering how long it's taken him to do just two episodes i don't think he could do like a weekly thing. Unless the escapist can put him on a "one every six months" contract.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Video games are getting better about it, but still suffers from the biggest three problems that comics, tabletop games, and other peripheral, 'nerdy' industries have brought on themselves for years.

First, these media are often largely available only in places that cater only to the market. If you don't already want to play games, you don't go in GameStop. Same with comic shops. The reason Best Buy and WalMart sell so many games is that regular people already go there and just might see them while buying batteries or music or something.

Second, there are huge barriers to entry in terms of a large knowledge, skill, or product base developed over many years, required to enjoy it. You may not gain this unless you spend lots more money and time on it, forgoing your established interests while you pay to learn muscle memory, THAC0, or who all the superheroes have fucked. Conversations or games with your forbears will make you feel slow.

Third, no one- creators and consumers alike- want any of this to change. Creators have come to rely on a small base and compensate by keeping them happy at the expense of potential customers, even in indirect ways. This makes the first two problems ever worse the longer they let it go on. Customers, aware of their niche status, wear their persecution complex like a badge and often view even rumors of attempts to cater to outsiders as abandonment and betrayal. This distemper is invariably myopic, and will occur regardless of whether or not the offending media affects existing preferences in any way. This is like a child throwing a tantrum at the store when their parent passes any food they don't like. Even if it is for their other siblings. All 98 of them. When their favorite meal is already in the basket. And the only thing that child will eat is green tea ice cream with chili powder on pita bread. If this sounds like a far leap for an analogy, it's because I can't really think of anything stupid enough.

Bee tee dubbs, Teen Titans was a great show; I watched it all the time when I was younger because it was on TV which I already had beamed into the home I lived in. Don't know how the comics are; never seen one. Funny.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Firefilm said:
MovieBob and Comics

MovieBob tried to leave but the guys make him an offer he can't refuse.

Watch Video
......They whored out Starfire?!!! No!!! I thought she was going to fall for Robin.

Mousse Templar

Jan 24, 2012
Oh, living outside the U.S. I usually don't pick up on comic-related news,
o.k I knewn Alan Moore was high & nuts, but Frank Miller?
Feels bad man, the stuff he wrote in the sin city letter columns
(about legal defence funds & why) made sense, and he came of the paper as a cool guy.

Holy Terror, didn't buy it, never will.