Meet Atlas, The Pentagon's Agile New Robot

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Johnson McGee said:
At this rate we're going to have superbly stable robot humanoids... that are all tethered to a power source while we wait 30 years for battery technology to catch up.
Sad but true. One of the major things holding back a lot of technology is our ability to power it remotely.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Looks an awful lot like a skinny version of Robocop 2. I can't seem to find a pic of when he opens up his head/ chest to show a computer monitor with Cain's face on it, but those who've seen that movie get the idea.

I wonder if these feed this thing nuke, in order to make it abide to their bidding?

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
So does ATLAS only work if there is pounding techno in the background? That would make future warfare all the more terrifying when you are huddled amongst the ruins of the local pub and hear some hardcore Belgian trance in the distance, heralding your robotic doom-unce-unce-unce.
Skynet is going to take over and instead of nukes it's just going to blare EDM from every speaker in the world.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Wouldn't surprise me if this was actually 10-15 years behind what they're really developing, and I hate to sound like some tin foil hat conspiracist (hey there weren't wrong about PRISM and all that spying) but do you really think the Pentagon would notify the public of its most top secret stuff? No of course it wouldn't. Now of course if anyone is still skeptical then just look up APARNET which was the precursor and foundation of what the internet was based on, and that was started up in 1969 which was well before the internet became fully established, in fact there's often a trend between what the military develops and then how the technology eventually filters down to the public so it wouldn't at all surprise me, but of course there is no proof hence this is just a theory.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
So, when can scale it up to 30 feet tall, equip it to throw nukes like footballs and put speakers that emit quips like "EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED!" and "COMMUNISM IS A TEMPORARY SETBACK ON THE ROAD TO FREEDOM!" After all, it would be the most American robot ever DARPA!

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
So does ATLAS only work if there is pounding techno in the background? That would make future warfare all the more terrifying when you are huddled amongst the ruins of the local pub and hear some hardcore Belgian trance in the distance, heralding your robotic doom-unce-unce-unce.
I'd be all for that. We need some new music to accompany our warfare. Flight of the Valkyries is getting a bit overused.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had my mouth open with awe before at anything. HOLY FUCKING SHIT! It's not quite "near human movement", but it can walk up stairs at a reasonable pace, walks with some strut, and can balance itself! IT CAN BALANCE ITSELF!
You know what this means? MECHA AREN'T COMPLETELY UNREASONABLE FROM AN ENGINEERING STANDPOINT! (at least in that respect, I know it'd still be a nightmare but the point it it seems that at least some of the problems can be addressed with current engineering knowledge and in time presumably all of them could be solved)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Can't help but think of this guy when i see the chest...

Lets hope this thing doesn't have cassettes...

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
Of course, this being a government project in an era where George Orwell's visions of an omnipresent police state appear more and more realistic, it's not difficult to imagine the offspring of the Atlas project treading across the battlefield, gun in hand, spraying bullets at America's enemies in countries too poor to fund multi-million dollar robotic soldiers. Neither Boston Dynamics nor the Pentagon has revealed any plans to push Atlas into this kind of service, but if we keep churning out humanoid robots with increasingly impressive feature sets, it seems inevitable that at some point someone will decide to arm the things.
Nowhere in your op-ed, despite having room to make the same Terminator references that every single other robot news article on this site has made, is mentioned the rather significant detail of the wires extending from the robot to an external power supply. "Arming the things" seems a slightly less pressing need for making robots field-ready than a means of operating for more than a couple of minutes.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I dunno about you guys, but it looked pretty fucking terrifying watching that thing move. This plus the "big dog" project thing look promising for the future, but I'd hate to be on the recieving end of one of these 'bots.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Weak sauce, I know you have MUCH more advanced stuff than that Pentagon. Metal Gear Project, and the new GUNDAM project. I refuse to believe this modesty propaganda.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Clive Howlitzer said:
Johnson McGee said:
At this rate we're going to have superbly stable robot humanoids... that are all tethered to a power source while we wait 30 years for battery technology to catch up.
Sad but true. One of the major things holding back a lot of technology is our ability to power it remotely.
Ultracapacitors are almost a thing. The Blu-Ray of batteries, if you will.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Johnson McGee said:
make this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_nuclear_reactor smaller. problem solved.
in fact, extensive work is being done on putting a Thorium reactor in a car. a few miligrams of thorium fuel that does not self-react (unlike uranium) can fuel your car for a decade, essentialy being a electrocar with endless battery. problem currently is - the reactor is too strong, it bursts the valves since you need to make it thin enough to fit udner the hood.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
uchytjes said:
Johnson McGee said:
This. Until we can actually advance batteries to a point where they are both light and powerful, we won't have robot soldiers.

OT: I want one that can be a butler-type robot. Also, the always important question: Can you fuck it?
Finally! Someone posing the important questions. I demand Cherry 2000!

Although 330 pounds? I'm on top baby!