Meet CR7 - A Galaxy With The First Stars Of Our Universe

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Meet CR7 - A Galaxy With The First Stars Of Our Universe

Galaxy CR7 isn't only unusual for its distance or brightness - it could contain the Population III stars that shaped our universe.

Here's a fun fact about <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/space>space: When you look at distant objects, you're seeing them <a href=http://www.space.com/4497-universe-history.html>as they existed in the distant past. That means faraway stars and galaxies <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140708-Astronomers-Discover-The-Oldest-Galaxy-On-Record>can actually tell us quite a bit about the origins of our universe. But is it possible to find the first stars that ever were? Well, according to astronomers we may have finally found them - in a distant galaxy called CR7 which meets all the criteria for stars that shaped the entire cosmos.

Galaxy CR7 - short for Cosmos Redshift 7 - is an unusually bright galaxy about 13.02 billion lights years away from Earth. But what's even stranger is that CR7 contains strong ionized helium emission and no sign of heavier elements. In short, that means CR7's stars are probably Population III stars, the first generation that formed 800 million years after the Big Bang.

Population III stars are significant because they created the building blocks of matter we're familiar with today. Without them, gases like hydrogen, helium, and lithium would never have transformed into elements like oxygen and carbon - essential materials for life as we know it. And that's not even getting into metallic elements, iron, nitrogen, and pretty much everything you learned about in your high school science courses.

"The discovery challenged our expectations from the start, as we didn't expect to find such a bright galaxy," David Sobral of the Institute of Astrophysics and Space Sciences in Portugal explained. "Then, by unveiling the nature of CR7 piece by piece, we understood that not only had we found by far the most luminous distant galaxy, but also started to realize that it had every single characteristic expected of Population III stars. Those stars were the ones that formed the first heavy atoms that ultimately allowed us to be here.

"It doesn't really get any more exciting than this."

Sadly, we're never going to actually be able to visit CR7's stars for ourselves, unless a mad man with a blue box took us there. Population III stars only lasted for about two million years before burning out, which is a big reason why they're so hard to find now. That makes CR7 a wonderfully rare find, and why astronomers will study it very closely in the months and years ahead.

Source: CNET

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
This is why I love Astronomy. Not only is the science interesting, but it's F***ing beautiful.

My God, It's Full Of Eleph... Stars.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
No mention of it be being named CR7 due to Cristiano Ronaldo like other news sources are running?

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I thought it was called CR7 because it would constitute an average encounter for a seventh level party.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
To be clear, there's nothing special about this galaxy. Stars presumably formed in every galaxy at around the same time. This galaxy is just the correct distance from us that we can see it while in this particular stage.

Also, does this mean that there's nothing visible further away? Since there would be no stars?

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Rozalia1 said:
No mention of it be being named CR7 due to Cristiano Ronaldo like other news sources are running?
Making me wonder if there's even a galaxy named after Messi....

Flippin' Ronaldo gets his face in everywhere.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Apropos of nothin', but "Cosmos Redshift 7" would be a perfect name for a superhero group.

Or a prog-rock band.

[small]Or a superhero group that plays prog-rock....[/small]
I'm now picturing a video game, sort of like the mood of Brutal Legend, where it's this spaceship flying super group, who use the power of ROCK \m/ (-_-) \m/ to defeat the forces of evil. The singer would be crowd control, using sonic attacks to stun and mind control the enemy to fight for him. The guitarists would be artillery, blasting the enemies with ripping power chords, the drummer would be the tank, stomping around and using his drums to deflect attacks with bass beats. And the keyboardist, because of course there is a keyboardist in a prog rock bank, would be the healer. Letting their keytar (yes, a keytar) wash over the band with soothing synth sounds, to heal their wounds.

Yes...yes I can see that very easily. xD

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Olas said:
To be clear, there's nothing special about this galaxy. Stars presumably formed in every galaxy at around the same time. This galaxy is just the correct distance from us that we can see it while in this particular stage.

Also, does this mean that there's nothing visible further away? Since there would be no stars?
I'd still say it's special - we're not exactly tripping over these kind of stars after all. Even if they were "everywhere" they only existed for a two million year window, which is incredibly narrow on a universal scale. That makes them a lot harder to find, and makes the discovery significant now.

As for what we can see past that, the hard limit is about 380,000 years after the beginning of the universe where the only thing we can see is cosmic background radiation.

Rozalia1 said:
I didn't know that until after I'd posted this!

The Rogue Wolf said:
Apropos of nothin', but "Cosmos Redshift 7" would be a perfect name for a superhero group.

Or a prog-rock band.

[small]Or a superhero group that plays prog-rock....[/small]
After they were struck by photons from the first star of our universe, seven musicians were transformed into cosmic beings that protect the galaxy - when they aren't on tour. They are Cosmic Redshift 7.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
That picture is so damn trippy... All the stars look like they're sitting on a bed of clouds. Actually kinda reminds of some of those old Christian artworks with the clear path up through the clouds and angels and stuff sitting around. Still pretty awesome picture.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Olas said:

Are they? I wonder about that. As for visibility...that's hard to say. We're looking extremely far into the past, what with the time differential involved in light traveling around for us to see.