Meet Final Fantasy XIII's Battle System

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Meet Final Fantasy XIII's Battle System

Combat in Square-Enix's Final Fantasy XIII will center around pseudo-real-time battles and chaining attacks. No word about super attacks with five-minute-long animations and pointless Christian symbolism.

While we still know little about FFXIII's plot or when it's coming out (if it ever does [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89426-Dragon-Quest-Delay-May-Push-Back-FFXIII]), Square-Enix has just taken the wraps off one of the most crucial aspects of the game: the battle system. From the sounds of the information revealed in a number of Japanese magazines, it seems like FFXIII's combat won't be nearly as adventurous as FFXII's somewhat controversial system, but will still make a number of drastic changes to the traditional formula.

Almost all of the FF games' battle systems feature some variation on the franchise's trademark turn-based "Active Time Battle" system where characters have to wait until a meter fills to act, and FFXIII is no different. Only this time around, there's a single meter for the entire party (as opposed to each character) that fills over time, and you don't have to wait until it's full to use it.

Instead, the meter is divided into separate units, and different actions cost different numbers of sections. After enough of the meter is filled to make one unit, you can use a regular attack or an item. If there are more units or the meter's completely full, you can spend them on multiple attacks or other actions. Fancier spells and the like require more units, naturally.

Meanwhile, as you chain consecutive attacks, another meter fills up in the top right of the screen. Successive chains do more damage, and when the meter's full, you can enter into a special "Break" mode where all enemies take more damage and can even be juggled in the air for maximum style.

Furthermore, battles don't take place on separate screen, but automatically begin whenever you come into contact with an enemy on the field.

No word on how summons will play a role, or what form Limit Breaks / Ultra Super Arts Plus or what have you will arrive in. I just hope you'll be able to skip through the mini-cutscenes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOb7is19Lg] that always play whenever you do one.

[Via 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173436]]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Keane Ng said:
While we still know little about FFXIII's plot or when it's coming out (if it ever does [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89426-Dragon-Quest-Delay-May-Push-Back-FFXIII]), Square-Enix has just taken the wraps off one of the most crucial aspects of the game: the battle system. From the sounds of the information revealed in a number of Japanese magazines, it seems like FFXIII's combat won't be nearly as adventurous as FFXIII's somewhat controversial system, but will still make a number of drastic changes to the traditional formula.
A little mistake there no?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
sounds a lot like the Valkyrie Profile battle system to me, with a little more of a turn-based twist.

Are.Oh.Why

Apr 30, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Keane Ng said:
While we still know little about FFXIII's plot or when it's coming out (if it ever does [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89426-Dragon-Quest-Delay-May-Push-Back-FFXIII]), Square-Enix has just taken the wraps off one of the most crucial aspects of the game: the battle system. From the sounds of the information revealed in a number of Japanese magazines, it seems like FFXIII's combat won't be nearly as adventurous as FFXIII's somewhat controversial system, but will still make a number of drastic changes to the traditional formula.
We can guess he meant FF XII, more than likely.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Frank Lucas Jr. said:
oliveira8 said:
Keane Ng said:
We can guess he meant FF XII, more than likely.
I can see that, but its a typo. ^^

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Sounds a little dodgy to me. I mean, it's all the same to me, either way, but I doubt everyone who complained about the last system is gonna be happy with this.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I don't think its a terrible thing that they aren't completely adopting a new combat formula. After all, fans of Final Fantasy are going to want something recognizable to the series they know and love. The thing that has always been key to Final Fantasy's development wasn't an overall change to combat but rather the touches (FFVI's Espers, FFVII's Materia, FFX's Sphere System). It seems like they're adopting a new approach that is actually more of an advancement than I would have expected. Though their attempt at a new battle system with Last Remnant failed to most people so I worry for the game's fate nonetheless.

Feb 18, 2009
One thing I have learned to like about FF series, is it´s potentiality to try out new mechanics under established concept. Sure, the potential probably could be utilized more effectively, but at least they are trying something new. I just hope that FF XIII`s battle system have learned from previous instalments and really introduces an exciting and working system. Anyway, sounds good so far.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Judging by what I've seen of the characters in the new FF game I'm already not buying it.

Though I am curious as to how they are going to change the combat system.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I actually dont mind about combat systems.

Final Fantasy is one of those series where I will openly admit to playing for the fancy graphics and epic plots. To me, the battles are just a way to progress the storyline along.

Theres only a handful of JRPGs that I have played where I cared about how it handled, but most of them do the job.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Keane Ng said:
Bah! GDC'll take the life outta you. I did mean FFXII, and it's corrected now. Thanks.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I think it's good that they are going back to a more traditional FF system. FF X had the best system yet, since it took turn based combat and polished it very nicely.
From the videos it looked sort of frantic, but I even liked FF XII's system, so I will surely not mind the changes

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Onmi said:
SmilingKitsune said:
Citrus Insanity said:
It sounds rather odd, but it can't be worse than XII's system.
Well that would be a pretty tough feat to pull off.
Not really seeing how 2 has the best system.

And if you want to debate bring it and i'll prove you wrong.
Wait, what? I said twelve had a bad system, and you want to prove to me that 2 had a better one? I must admit I'm a teeny bit confused.