Meet the Facebook Game That Mocks Facebook Games

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Meet the Facebook Game That Mocks Facebook Games

In Cow Clicker, you click on cows. Which gets you points that you can use to buy more potential clicks to use clicking your cows. That's about it - but that's the entire point.

I'll readily admit I don't know much about Facebook games myself - the most exposure I get to them is catching a glimpse of FrontierVille on Susan Arendt's screen every once in a while - but either way, they're big news. Casual gamers and Facebook users love them, while hardcore "lifestyle" gamers think they're the spawn of the devil.

Love them or hate them, they're making splashes all over the place - and one designer has made a Facebook game both designed to poke fun at Facebook games as well as act as a case study on those who play them. by Ian Bogost [http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=111596662223307], is a game where you click on your own cartoon cow, and that's it.

In six hours, you earn another click - and every click lets you buy more clicks. You can buy additional clicks via microtransactions called "mooney," you can publish notifications that you have clicked your cow, and you can click your friends' cows as well. It is a Facebook title boiled down to its purest essence.

According to Bogost's blog [http://www.bogost.com/blog/cow_clicker_1.shtml], Cow Clicker is "partly a satire, and partly a playable theory of today's social games, and partly an earnest example of that genre." It's also slightly brilliant. I mean, those cartoon cows are pretty cute, and you just know that a few of the people who start playing this game ironically may find themselves addicted to clicking their cows before too long.

You might surmise from the existence of Cow Clicker that Bogost hates Facebook games. As he discusses in the (excellent) post [http://www.bogost.com/blog/cow_clicker_1.shtml], he does - but not because he doesn't think they're games, and not because they're games played over social networks, but rather because of "the way in which these games were games." If that sounds confusing to you, it's probably meant to - I heartily recommend reading the full deal.

But if you don't have the attention span to read the full thing, why not go click on your cow? They're awfully cute ...

(Thanks, Alai!)

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Wow. That's just... wow. Brilliant, because it will work, and horrifying, because it will work.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
The link to the blog seems to be down. A shame, as I was really interested in how he was going to explain it. I find this funny, interesting, and a bit ironic. It still won't get me to log onto my facebook account though.

EDIT: Okay, was finally able to read the blog. I don't know if I 100% agree with everything he says, but he makes some well thought out points. Definitely worth reading.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Heh...well, atl east they are making fun in a way they would understand, lol.

Intresting...concept, heh

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I've been waiting for this game ever since the big unveiling at E3!

Oh wait.

Cows are fun anyway.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
My cow is officially bitchin'! I spent £10,000 to get the Bling Cow! I win Cow Clicker!

Odd fact - I couldn't find this by searching Facebook for "Cow Clicker", I had to use the link on this thread... :s

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
It sort of sounds like it could be addicting, but I don't know if it'll catch on with the people who play farmville.

Edit:

<----*click click click*

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
I don't classify facebook games as real games, but this cow clicking game will probably get really popular among the facebook crowd.

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
JRCB said:
Wow. That's just... wow. Brilliant, because it will work, and horrifying, because it will work.
I know, right?

But yea, Zynga are basically just online pushers, giving people a fix to make their money.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"You can buy additional clicks via microtransactions called "mooney,"

If Mooney doesn't crop up in every single game for the next 5 years like bullet-time did, I will be sorely disappointed.

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
lol i added the appication and looked at the cows you can buy...

they have an "oil cow" that looks like its been poured with plack paint and has a BP sticker on it haha!

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
My God...what hath this man rot? I have to forget about this game, if I tell my friends about it I'll start getting dozens of Cow Clicker posts on my wall just to spite me...