Meet the Fledgling Rebel Alliance in Star Wars Rebels

harpere

May 20, 2014
Meet the Fledgling Rebel Alliance in Star Wars Rebels

This 7-minute teaser video is sure to get you fired up for Star Wars Rebels, a new series with a very classic feel.

Star Wars Rebels is a new animated series in the style of Clone Wars, and it's coming to Disney XD in October. Set after the events in Revenge of the Sith but before the events of A New Hope, the series will focus on the formation of the Rebel Alliance. If this preview is any indication, it looks to have all of the action we loved from the original trilogy. (Also, even these early stormtroopers seem incapable of hitting a target. The Empire really needs to work on its training regimen.)

The series will follow a group of outlaws led by Kanan Jarrus (Freddie Prinze Jr.), one of the few Jedi who managed to survive Sith's Order 66. Joining him -- and seen in this trailer -- are thief Ezra Bridger (Taylor Gray), muscle Zeb Orrelios (Steve Blum), and Mandalorian Sabine Wren (Tiya Sircar). Between Ezra's looks and the trailer's pickpocketing sequence, this seems a bit like Aladdin in space, but with less singing and more shooting... and who knew that could be exactly what we wanted out of Star Wars? (Disney. Apparently Disney knew.)

Since J. J. Abrams' Episode VII isn't due out until December 2015, this series might be the perfect thing to fill that Star Wars-shaped hole in your heart.

Source: io9 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZn_TrwbPN8]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err the video can't be viewed for us Brits...

EDIT- Ok watching that clip from another channel, it look interesting. I will probably end up watching it.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Why does it all have to be CGI....why can't it be gold ol' fashioned cartoon animation...that is..you know...well animated. I think a show taken from the same vain as something like the Legend of Korra would do well, at least quality wise. You remember that old Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon created by the same guy who made Samurai Jack? That was freaking awesome! The CGI Clone Wars that came after...while I will not say that good things didn't come out of it, it still didn't feel right to me.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Err the video can't be viewed for us Brits...
We South-Africans can! This is justice for stuff you did when you were an empire. Like the Empire from Star Wars, you have finally paid for crimes commited by people who are almost definitely dead. Bwha-ha-ha-ha!

*readjusts smug-suspenders*

I'm actually optimistic about this show, being one of the few fans of the Clone Wars show. I'll be the first to admit that it had problems, but I generally enjoyed it so, yeah, let's wait and see.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm, seems like an interesting idea. And the preview seemed fairly well done. Got some nice shoot outs and chases. Nothing to make me want to not watch it. I have to say, it's nice to see the good old stormtroopers again after so long. I'll keep an eye on it.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Smolderin said:
Why does it all have to be CGI....why can't it be gold ol' fashioned cartoon animation...that is..you know...well animated. I think a show taken from the same vain as something like the Legend of Korra would do well, at least quality wise. You remember that old Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon created by the same guy who made Samurai Jack? That was freaking awesome! The CGI Clone Wars that came after...while I will not say that good things didn't come out of it, it still didn't feel right to me.
You're referring to Star Wars Clone Wars. It was about as awesome as discovering you are an actual Jedi when trying to retrieve the remote with the force. I think the CGI could be because they wan't to distance it from other animated series ,like Adventure Time, but it could just be the better option for them.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
This looks pretty good, better than the Clone Wars cartoon anyway. It reminds me more of the Tron cartoon in spirit.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
This is work in progress, right? Please tell me this is work in progress.

OK, first of all, their sound is all messed up. Voices are waaay too loud, music and other sounds are almost inaudible. Seriously, I can't understand how that happened.

Secondly, there's something about the animation that feels... flat? Cheap? In general, just off. Maybe it's the shading or a lack of detail? The Clone Wars series looked much better than this and if that's the best Disney can (or is willing) to do, I don't have high hopes. Also, the eyes. Especially in the main character - the colours are horrendous. Might sound like a petty complaint, but I couldn't stop looking at his eyes; like someone painted them in with MS Paint...

As for the content, it wasn't terrible. Nothing groanworthy happened, but to be honest, nothing particularly interesting happened either. None of the characters popped out, and the protagonist was mildly obnoxious. Overall, it was just "meh".

All in all, this feels like early footage at best. If this is a sample of the final product, the only thing it has going for it is that it's filling an empty niche left vacant with the cancellation of Clone Wars, which was a shame as that show really got better as it went along and the creators shifted into a more serious and dark tone.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Seems a lot better than the Clone Wars was.

I do agree with the poster above about being animated like Korra. It would be better served with the Star Wars property, not that god awful show.

Anyway, I'm intrigued. I like the animation, and the voice acting is pretty cool. We'll see where this goes.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Jandau said:
This is work in progress, right? Please tell me this is work in progress.

OK, first of all, their sound is all messed up. Voices are waaay too loud, music and other sounds are almost inaudible. Seriously, I can't understand how that happened.

Secondly, there's something about the animation that feels... flat? Cheap? In general, just off. Maybe it's the shading or a lack of detail? The Clone Wars series looked much better than this and if that's the best Disney can (or is willing) to do, I don't have high hopes. Also, the eyes. Especially in the main character - the colours are horrendous. Might sound like a petty complaint, but I couldn't stop looking at his eyes; like someone painted them in with MS Paint...

As for the content, it wasn't terrible. Nothing groanworthy happened, but to be honest, nothing particularly interesting happened either. None of the characters popped out, and the protagonist was mildly obnoxious. Overall, it was just "meh".

All in all, this feels like early footage at best. If this is a sample of the final product, the only thing it has going for it is that it's filling an empty niche left vacant with the cancellation of Clone Wars, which was a shame as that show really got better as it went along and the creators shifted into a more serious and dark tone.
I suspect it's a WIP and the sound design will be sweetened/changed. I also picked up on the fact that the background and action noises don't pop nearly enough, but I chalked that up to me working with sound all day. This clip is incomplete, there will be some lighting changes and definitely sound changes. I don't know if that will address your animation concerns, though.

...[/youtube]

This is a much better clip for showing off their lighting and sound design. Aside from a lackluster delivery from the Jedi, this is a very good demonstration.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Smolderin said:
Why does it all have to be CGI....why can't it be gold ol' fashioned cartoon animation...that is..you know...well animated. I think a show taken from the same vain as something like the Legend of Korra would do well, at least quality wise.
Agreed.
I do like Tangled or Frozen but honestly I think those movies would have worked in 2D as well.
But I guess 2D doesn?t pay anymore? too bad.
You can still go and watch Sleeping Beauty just fine but Toy Story for example didn?t age as gracefully and it?s not remotely that old?
I wonder if 3D will pass the test of time especially considering the limited budget etc. of a TV series?

Don?t really feel this Rebels series. Seems rather generic as the villains are evil for evils sake and of course the rouge will turn out to take a liking to the boy etc.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Ishigami said:
Don't really feel this Rebels series. Seems rather generic as the villains are evil for evils sake and of course the rouge will turn out to take a liking to the boy etc.
So... basically... it's Star Wars...

But really though, I'm loving the hell out of The Clone Wars right now, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do with the Imperial era. I'm only on the second season and already its filled in a lot of gaps and fleshed out a lot of things that the movies either didn't have the time or never thought to address. Here's hoping they can pull that off again.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The art style is awful... just awful. Looks like a cutscene in a video game from 10 years ago. Whoever approved this should be ashamed of themselves.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
This does not look shit. I'm not convinced it looks good (I'll throw my lot in with the 'lousy dialogue so far' and 'unconvinced by art style' crowd, but not shit.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So how long before Asoka shows up? Or Captain Rex? Because if it's not at least mentioned as to what happened to them, I am going to be very upset. I'm still upset that The Clone Wars was cancelled before it was finished. And if it was finished, then that was terrible.

This looks okay I guess. It needs more polish because it was terribly quiet for the most part. The sound effects that were there were spot on, but without the music and the background noise, it felt very limited. Which is to be expected, of course.

I would think a Mandalorian would stand out pretty badly. She might want a different disguise if she's trying to work undercover. It wouldn't be long before word spread to be on the lookout for her.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Looks better than the drivel Lucas had been shitting all screens since 1999. I will watch it, I couldn't go any where near Clone Wars, looked like trash, Star Wars Christmas Life Day Special kind of garbage.

Decamper

Mar 23, 2010
Never seen The Clone Wars show, but... Is it normal for kid's shows these days to kill off people en mass? That rebel dude straight up shot a guy in the chest right off the bat, fucking brutal.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Nurb said:
The art style is awful... just awful. Looks like a cutscene in a video game from 10 years ago. Whoever approved this should be ashamed of themselves.
It looks fine to me, on par with Clone Wars. And it can only get better and more polished as the episodes and seasons go on.

This is Disney for god sake, they are one of the kings of Animation (arguably the best) Complaining about Animation from something Disney especially in this generation is verging on stupidity.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Strelok said:
Looks better than the drivel Lucas had been shitting all screens since 1999. I will watch it, I couldn't go any where near Clone Wars, looked like trash, Star Wars Christmas Life Day Special kind of garbage.
Dude, It's been 15 years since the release of the Phantom Menace, and almost a decade since Revenge of the Sith. Let it go already.

I mean I get it, certain people don't like the prequels, I'm pretty sure that's been firmly established on the internet at this point, yet any time anything related to star wars is brought up someone tries to turn the conversation to how much the prequels suck, regardless of whether that subject has anything to do with the prequels or not. It's getting really annoying. I mean you don't hear James Bond fans going on and on about how much Die Another Day sucks every time anything about the franchise is brought up, and that movie came out the same year as AOTC did. If you really hate them that much, why don't you just track down copies of the original versions of the original trilogy, and just pretend the prequels don't exist (I mean it's what I do with Dragon Ball GT)?