Meet the Girlfriend From Hell in Shadows of the Damned

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Meet the Girlfriend From Hell in Shadows of the Damned

If you think you've got relationship troubles, at least your significant other isn't a demon.

When we last saw No More Heroes [http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Damned-Playstation-3/dp/B00432O50W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299624153&sr=8-1].

Shadows of the Damned is also being produced by Shinji Mikami, creator of Dante's Inferno [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-4-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000P46NKC/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1299624482&sr=1-1].

The game stars Garcia Hotspur, your all-around bad boy, whose girlfriend is kidnapped by demons. He and a floating skull companion, very reminiscent of Planescape: Torment [http://www.amazon.com/Planescape-Torment-Pc/dp/B00002EPZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1299625118&sr=1-1-spell], journey into the City of the Damned to get her back using all sorts of odd weapons.

This trailer makes it appear that Hotspur will believe he's found his girlfriend multiple times, but she'll really be a demon in disguise, sort of like the "Your Princess is in Another Castle" mechanic from Super Mario Bros. It's just that in Shadows of the Damned's case, Hotspur shares a few tender moments with what are some very gross creatures inside of a pretty skin.

Judging by what we see here, Shadows of the Damned is shaping up to be a really creepy title, but in a good way. It's expected to be released on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in June 2011.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Apparently they heard the phrase "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" and decided to hire some outside help to solve that.

Tom Goldman said:
If you think you've got relationship troubles, at least your significant other isn't a demon.
Speak for yourself.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Man, I this game just radiates Suda51's style. Gonna be a day one buy, along with the other quirky games, like Catherine, and Alice: madness returns

Gonna be a great summer!

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Looks really good.
Just enough humor here and there so it isn't over the top, and I do want.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hot female character? Check.
Slightly quirky and cool sidekick? Check.
Blood, guts and gore and awesome action gameplay? Check.
Cheesy one-liners? Check.
Yep, this looks amazing. I want! I want!

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Okay, a game that mixes bizarre story elements, humor and gore like this should -not- be called "Shadows of the Damned," that's just such a boring samey title. "Shadows of the Damned" sounds like a pretentious goth cover band.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ooooh me want!

I first noticed this when they unveiled it at the Tokyo Game Show and I was intrigued. Not I want it after seeing more of it and hearing the dark humor.

Yeah it's cheesy, but who doesn't like cheesy?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
Man, I this game just radiates Suda51's style. Gonna be a day one buy, along with the other quirky games, like Catherine, and Alice: madness returns

Gonna be a great summer!
This game is on a whole other level to those titles. I trust Shinji Mikami and Grasshopper to deliver on substance as well as style.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
From the beginning of the trailer I gathered it was a really bad break up, with a humorous twist. But now it's a "save girlfriend", it's less interesting. Someone should make a game where your ex-demongirlfriend wants to make your life hell. Pun intended.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hey look! An allegory for Orpheus' decent into the underworld! Cool!

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
So, did they know they missed a great DOUBLE pun there?
"and there's going to be hell to pay" could have been "and there's going to be hell to PLAY".

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Rationalization said:
Dante's Inferno? Anyone, anyone.....
The Philistine said:
Rationalization said:
Dante's Inferno? Anyone, anyone.....
I was thinking the same thing.
Plot wise, most definitely. Gameplay looks twenty times more fun than dantes though, and it looks to be tongue in cheek, which is my favorite type of game, one that doesn't take itself seriously.

DO WANT