Meet Your Next Great Disney/Pixar Heroine, Riley

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Meet Your Next Great Disney/Pixar Heroine, Riley

Animation powerhouse releases gives first look at the star of its upcoming feature Inside Out

Up's [http://www.disneymoviesanywhere.com/discover/1-screaming-fact-monsters-university] Pete Docter to the director's chair.

In the unique feature, Riley (whose voice-actress has not yet been cast) is not only the main character, she's the also the main location. The premise (which bears more than a passing similarity to the 90s sitcom Herman's Head [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gn6IfWXPbk]) is a dual narrative set in the "real world" with Riley and also in the world of Riley's mind - where personifications of her emotions (Joy, Sadness, Anger, Disgust and Fear) navigate her responses to everyday experiences.

In the story proper, Joy (Amy Poehler) finds her previously unchallenged status as Riley's primary emotion intruded upon by a suddenly more-energized Sadness (Phyllis Smith from The Office) as their host approaches her teens. The rivals jockeying for power leads to them being lost to the deeper recesses of the mind, forced to work together to find their way back before having only Anger (Lewis Black), Fear (Bill Hader) and Disgust (Mindy Kaling) to man Headquarters transforms Riley into a moody preteen.

While the scenes featuring Riley in the real world will be animated in the traditional Pixar fashion, the emotions and their inner world are said to be animated using a new technique whereby they appear to be made of hovering points of light similar to Pointillism. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointillism] The film is due for release in June of 2015.

Source: Pixar Times [http://pixartimes.com/2014/08/26/first-look-at-riley-from-inside-out/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
She looks like a little dork.

This is a good thing in my book.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I like to imagine my head is filled with celebrities too, this girl really seems relatable and not in any way schizophrenic.

Whatever, it's a Pixar non-sequel, so it'll probably be pretty good.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I lost faith in Pixar after Disney bought them out. Disney is basically EA, buying up more successful studios and then gutting them. I haven't quite lost faith in Pete Doctor though. The premise sounds a little silly, but then so did UP, and that became one of my favorites. We'll see...

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
I really think they could've gotten better people for the voices, particularly Joy and Amy Poehler.But that's just my personal preference since I really don't consider her or Parks and Rec all that worth watching except for Ron...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I'm glad its a movie featuring a little girl

not that "gender politics" is aparent at that age...but a lot of classic feature boys

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
she's cute, i like that she doesn't have a dainty little nose and that she seems to have a teeth gap. makes her look a bit more characterized.

let's hope for another pixar classic.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'm surprised it took Pixar this long to try something like this. This is always a promising formula for fiction, and it seems like it'd be right up Pixar's alley.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The art style is a little off-putting, why couldn't it be closer to the concept art?

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I guess that is not a terrible idea? I would like to know a bit more before I see it. I mean I know it sounds cliche but if her mind was like an epic space opera or medieval fantasy than while it would make no sense it would be a cool concept seeing these forces fight to control her mind.

AlexReynard

Sep 9, 2013
Was about to say she looks a tiny bit uncanny valley, but then I remembered that a hell of a lot of CGI characters look 'off' in screenshots. So she'll probably look just fine in motion.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Sir Shockwave said:
I'll say it if nobody else will -

Goddamn, that looks positively CREEPY.
Yeah glad you said something.
I'm getting some uncanny valley vibes here.

I will still watch this movie reguardless.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
She looks a bit confused but it's cute, she looks more like a real child than a perfect doll. Interested to see where this goes.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
For some reason this particular image is giving me an uncanny valley vibe in a way that CG animated characters usually don't.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sir Shockwave said:
I'll say it if nobody else will -

Goddamn, that looks positively CREEPY.
It looks like a return to interesting on Pixar's part. With their having been all about the sequels lateley it was getting kind of boring and somewhat too 'market friendly' for my tastes. It's nice to see them trying something that looks a bit more out there again.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
This movie is gonna be kinda weird cause the whole premise is basically an analogy about puberty. But its disney so they have to tip toe around the whole "shes probably thinking about sex now" thing and its going to be this giant pink elephant in the room that goes ignored over the course of the movie I would think. Because no way are they going to have any kind of allusion to sexuality in a movie aimed at kids staring a kid or risk being crucified by the masses.

Very interested to see how this movie pans out regardless of what disney does.