Mega Man 2 Composer On Board for Mighty No. 9

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Mega Man 2 Composer On Board for Mighty No. 9

<youtube=WJRoRt155mA>​
Takashi Tateishi joins Ippo Yamada and Manami Matsumae for the soundtrack to Mega Man's spiritual successor.

Composer for classic chiptunes in Mega Man 2 Takashi Tateishi is now the CEO of his own company, but he has agreed to make time to work on the successful Kickstarter project, Mighty No. 9. He will be joining his "good friends," Mega Man 1 composer Manami Matsumae and Inti Creates' Ippo Yamada, who has written music for Mega Man 9 and 10. Matsumae has already created the Mighty No. 9 theme. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypy09j2HD-s]

The announcement came in a Kickstarter update. "Tateishi's tunes are the type you can't get out of your head, the kind you find yourself humming in the shower, or covering in your band - it's no accident they've become some of the best-known songs in all of gaming!" the post states. Those who pledge $40 or more to the project will receive a digital version of the full game soundtrack.

A Kickstarter update posted today reminded all interested backers that today that "the final day is nigh." [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/613681 ] Comcept put out a vote for the heroine's design, the first of a series of documentary episodes on the creation of the game, and a video of a rough engine test, using the Unreal Engine.

Funding for the project ends tomorrow at 8:19 pm EDT. Mighty No. 9 has surpassed $3 million so far. Another $300,000 will guarantee PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game, and an additional $200,000 will clinch PS Vita and 3DS versions.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/612963]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'm still loving the fact that this game's very existence is just a giant slap to the face to Capcom. Ohhhhh Capcom, you poor bastards. THIS is the fanbase you've been pissing off by refusing to make new Mega Man games. $3 million and counting for a Kickstarter concept that is as close to being Mega Man as it can possibly without just straight-up calling it Mega Man. I don't know what data you were looking at that told you another Mega Man would be a bad idea, or who told you that you shouldn't make another one. But whatever/whoever it was: that information was wrong. So clearly, incredibly wrong.

That they got some of the best old-school composers to do the sound track is pretty sweet too. :3

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
RJ 17 said:
I'm still loving the fact that this game's very existence is just a giant slap to the face to Capcom. Ohhhhh Capcom, you poor bastards.
I love that too. It's also interesting seeing as how a report of Capcom's finances shows that they only have $152 million left in the company, which really shows how much they've screwed up this generation when it comes to their policies and plans.

My guess is that they'll not last another 5 years or so if they don't get serious financial help.

OT: Already backed this project and I can't wait for the game. Since it's not coming out until probably 2015 that gives Nintendo plenty of time to make an account system for their eShop. :D

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
RJ 17 said:
I'm still loving the fact that this game's very existence is just a giant slap to the face to Capcom. Ohhhhh Capcom, you poor bastards. THIS is the fanbase you've been pissing off by refusing to make new Mega Man games. $3 million and counting for a Kickstarter concept that is as close to being Mega Man as it can possibly without just straight-up calling it Mega Man. I don't know what data you were looking at that told you another Mega Man would be a bad idea, or who told you that you shouldn't make another one. But whatever/whoever it was: that information was wrong. So clearly, incredibly wrong.

That they got some of the best old-school composers to do the sound track is pretty sweet too. :3
Would you still want Capcom to make new Mega Man?

Look at it this way. The more I hear about the people behind Mighty No. 9 and the likes of Shinji Mikami, the more apparent it becomes that just about all the big talent has ditched them. So yeah, maybe it's not such a bad thing that Capcom has abandoned the blue bomber.

edit: and like Neronium says, they're in real bad financial shape.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Neronium said:
RJ 17 said:
I'm still loving the fact that this game's very existence is just a giant slap to the face to Capcom. Ohhhhh Capcom, you poor bastards.
I love that too. It's also interesting seeing as how a report of Capcom's finances shows that they only have $152 left in the company, which really shows how much they've screwed up this generation when it comes to their policies and plans.

My guess is that they'll not last another 5 years or so if they don't get serious financial help.
It's kinda sad, really, considering that Capcom used to be one of my favorite game companies that put out a lot of my favorite titles. Then something changed. Don't know if it was a new CEO or something (because I generally don't keep up with stuff like that) but somewhere they took a major wrong turn and ended up out in the middle of the desert when they were clearly trying to get to Las Vegas.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
This is going to be the most Megaman-like Not-Megaman game that's a Megaman Clone there is in existence. I only wonder how far into its development Capcom might decide to pull out lawyers to try to get a copyright lawsuit on them. Which would likely fail, but still...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Kicktraq is trending Mighty No 9 towards $3,156,598 in total, not enough for next gen consoles.

But who knows? Maybe the final 24 hours will feature a massive surge in backers.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/

Neronium said:
Since it's not coming out until probably 2015 that gives Nintendo plenty of time to make an account system for their eShop. :D
I wouldn't bet on that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Chimpzy said:
RJ 17 said:

Would you still want Capcom to make new Mega Man?

Look at it this way. The more I hear about the people behind Mighty No. 9 and the likes of Shinji Mikami, the more apparent it becomes that just about all the big talent has ditched them. So yeah, maybe it's not such a bad thing that Capcom has abandoned the blue bomber.
At this point? No, I wouldn't want them to make a new Mega Man purely for the point that you brought up: they chased off all their talent. I don't keep up with company politics so I don't know what policies they've put in place that pissed off all their best creative minds, but apparently they've been doing a lot of things wrong, and they're paying the price for it now. As I mentioned: the very fact that this game exists is a slap to their face, and evidence of their mishandling of their creative talent.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Neronium said:
RJ 17 said:
I love that too. It's also interesting seeing as how a report of Capcom's finances shows that they only have $152 left in the company, which really shows how much they've screwed up this generation when it comes to their policies and plans.

OT: Already backed this project and I can't wait for the game. Since it's not coming out until probably 2015 that gives Nintendo plenty of time to make an account system for their eShop. :D
Yeah, it is fairly amusing that a this game is doing so well specifically because of its connection to Mega Man, and the early origins of Mega Man in particular. It just goes to show that there is an audience for just about any game with real effort put behind it. Will it outsell Call of Duty? Hell no. Will it sell more than most other AAA games? Probably not. But by all accounts, it looks like it is going to be a great game, and it will turn a profit. In the end, those are the two things that matter, and that's what a lot of big publishers like Capcom tend to forget. You don't need EVERY game to be a mega-blockbuster with an overblown budget and unreasonable goals. You just need to know your audience, know what they want, and set reasonable goals. And then you actually make money. There is no perfect pasta sauce, just perfect pasta sauces.

In other exciting 'revival of classic games via kickstarter' news, Shantae has reached it's first stretch goal. It's a shame it won't get to any of the others, but I am still just happy that it got funded. Here's hoping that it sells well enough and we can get some of the other proposed stretch goals via DLC or in the next release (if there is one). Between Mighty No.9 and the new Shantae game though, now is a great time for old-school influenced action platformers :D

Seriously, if you haven't heard of it yet, go look up "Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero" It looks pretty great :)

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I'm glad I backed this one in the end. Looks like it's shaping up to be a doozy. Please. Please no hype failure.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
rcs619 said:
Seriously, if you haven't heard of it yet, go look up "Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero" It looks pretty great :)
Backed that the day I got paid. I get the Tinkerbot transformation and the music CD. ^.^

Ed130 said:
I wouldn't bet on that.
Can't I dream? Most of my dreams were killed by Capcom after Clover Studios was closed down and Megaman Legends 3 was cancelled.

Really I'm honestly hoping that this game does turn out to be good. Hell it doesn't have to be the second coming, but I just wanna be able to have fun with this.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Oh yes, I love this.
And they just announced they'll be using the Unreal 3 engine, but of course twist it for the graphical style they're going for.
So graphics-, music- and sound-wise this should be great. Let's hope the most important part - the gameplay - can also deliver.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
wish I had more money to give :( but alas I'm a backer in the $60 tier :D so hype about this that 2015 can't come quickly enough :3