Mega Man Blasts Into His Own MMORPG

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mega Man Blasts Into His Own MMORPG

Capcom is bringing leveling-up to Mega Man with a new MMORPG.

In April, Capcom trademarked Mega Man Universe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100324-Mega-Man-Explodes-Across-the-Universe] and most people guessed that the title was for an MMOG starring said Man. Today it looks like this will officially be the case, as Capcom has announced Mega Man Online for Japan, though it hasn't been announced for other regions yet.

Mega Man Online sadly won't be a 3D World of Warcraft style game starring Mega Man, and will be a 2D side-scrolling action-RPG similar to games like Maple Story instead. The combat system hasn't really been explained, though I'm sure some mega-busting will occur and that there will be at least one pit to fall in for an immediate death.

The only revealed RPG element is that players will strengthen their characters over time. Mega Man and Zero are confirmed characters, though it's expected that the usual suspects such as Dr. Wily, Dr. Light, Rush, Roll, and that little pain-in-the-ass hard-hat monster will make appearances as well.

In one of the game's first pieces of artwork, we see an evil-looking robotic construction with a gem in its forehead that is just ripe for shooting. Perhaps this will be Mega Man Online's nemesis. If a mustachioed man doesn't emerge from it, I'll eat my blue helmet.

More details will hopefully be incoming, because the idea of Mega Man adding RPG elements but retaining the 2D look is quite intriguing. Let's hope Mega Man Online won't simply swap sprites with the other 2D MMOGs out there already, and will bring something new to the table.

Via: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/04/mega_man_online_announced/]

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I am unsure what to say about this particular development. I like Megaman, but I am unsure if a MMORPG would really do it justice. I would be interested to see what they have planned for it, game mechanic wise. Though I guess no one will know for sure until they update us. I find myself confused with this, I don't know how I feel.

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
That is definitely Megaman X, much more suitable for MMO then standard Megaman as robots are damn everywhere. But that mess in the background is Sigma who will not open up to reveal Dr. Wily... sadly enough.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
legend forge said:
But that mess in the background is Sigma who will not open up to reveal Dr. Wily... sadly enough.
Correct on the first part, but a man can still dream on the second.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
*Crosses fingers* No subscription fee. No subscription fee. No subscription fee...

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I can only imagine the outright AWESOME Zero-v-Zero sword-saber fights. =O

Seriously, as long as it's not more than $30 (with no online subscriptions) and doesn't somehow turn out to suck, I'm already sold.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
You can't take a shit without it being turned into an MMO these days.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
If this stays true to its Mega Man core, this will be interesting. A skill-based MMORPG in a sid-scrolling shooter format?

Sounds incredibly appealing to me.

aspher

Nov 6, 2006
It does make you wonder why there's an obsession with MMOs these days when the success rate of them is seemingly quite small.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
oppp7 said:
*Crosses fingers* No subscription fee. No subscription fee. No subscription fee...
I dont believe it will becuase of Neowiz Games, their games are F2P.

Mariakitten

Mar 29, 2010
Wow everything is getting a MMO these days, they all want a piece of the WoW pie but so rarely get it.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Is it just a megaman game that is online with like scoreboards and stuff? Or will it be a make your own "megaman" world?

Thr Long Man

Oct 29, 2009
I happy faced.
SO GOD DAMN HARD.

uh, also that "Robotic thing with a gem in its forehead" is Sigma.
you know, the only real villain in the MMX series?

freebiewitz

Nov 22, 2008
Yeah its sigma. As far as I can tell this game (Lore wise) would be around the marvick war and the players should be marvick hunters. Megaman x and Zero being Famous Npcs and such.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Woodsey said:
You can't take a shit without it being turned into an MMO these days.
Funny you should say that, "coincidentally" Capcom came to my house JUST yesterday to buy my shit from me, they didn't say why

On topic: Protoman better be in it! And every character from the Legend series