Mega Man Creator Quits the Game

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

The disappearing platforms at Capcom were too much for Keiji Inafune, who is leaving the company after 23 years of service.

Mega Man creator and longtime Capcom employee Keiji Inafune seems to have been in turmoil over the past few years. After constantly hates his job [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103614-Dead-Rising-2-Producer-Blasts-Japanese-Game-Industry]. Today, that turmoil may have come to a head, as Inafune announced that he'll be resigning from Capcom after more than 20 years at the company.

Inafune rose through the ranks of Capcom with Mega Man at his side, but also worked on titles such as Dead Rising 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Onimusha-Essentials-Playstation-2/dp/B001FBJUYK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288372688&sr=1-1]. Though he began as a character designer, he eventually became the head of various Capcom divisions.

Inafune posted on his blog that he's hit the ceiling and says there is "nowhere higher for me to go." He writes: "I'm leaving Capcom with the intention of starting my life over." Despite Inafune's earlier statements that made it seem like he wanted to retire from the videogame industry, he's not going to be taking a break. Inafune says he's looking for "his next challenge," but didn't say what it might be.

This appears to leave the recently announced Mega Man Universe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104229-Capcom-Reveals-How-Youll-Make-Mega-Man-Legends-3] without Inafune's future guidance. It's a fairly big loss for Capcom as Inafune has been a key figure in the company's history since the NES era. Thankfully, he appears to still have a desire to create new games, just not at Capcom.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5676403/mega-mans-creator-quits-capcom]

Durxom

May 12, 2009
Like I said in the previous topic about this, most of the big name Capcom developers have left. Mikami(creator of Resident Evil, God Hand, Okami, etc) has left, Kamiya(creator of DMC and producer for other games), and now Keiji Inafune?! =S

I love Capcom. They make my favourite games, and always keep arcade style games going, but I dunno what's going to happen to them now...they only really have Ono(head of SF4), Niitsuma(head of MvC3), and Kobayashi(head of Sengoku Basara, director of DMC4) left, and while they arent bad...they aren't as big name as the rest..

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Oh! I hope he can bring the gool ol' platformer back, with new ideas, that is.

Infernoshadow211

Nov 18, 2009
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. What's gonna happen to Megaman Legends 3, or hell, the future of Megaman in general? He was one of the most excited people to be doing a 3rd iteration of that game, he can't just leave it now.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ya know Capcom has been milking MM to damn much and not doing enough with the series I would be fed up with zombie corporate as well. Capcom has a hard time being innovative and creative..... Hell so dose Nintendo for that matter.... 0-o

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Well, there goes Megaman Legends 3. If you need me, I'll be in the corner sobbing.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Fair enough I guess. Seemed somewhat inevitable too I suppose, though after the whole 'hates his job' thing I kinda wasn't sure if as a Japanese he was going to stick with it regardless. But true to his words...he didn't and he learns and moves on.

Wish the best of luck to him, I really do. :)

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Was anyone else thinking of The Room while reading this?

"I am sick of this worl'... Oh hi, Mark."

Feb 13, 2008
I wonder how many people have just lost it as well.

OT: Megaman was always something of a puzzle to me. It just seemed like a platformer where the only action was with bosses, but it seemed to do quite well.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
I predict one of two things:

1. He moves to a major western developer.

2. Platinum Games.
I hope it's option 1. He'd be a great asset to Western gaming as a whole. I don't think I've ever played any of his games (I didn't start really gaming until about 2001 on Playstation), but I have a lot of respect for someone whose been so instrumental to shaping gaming as it is today.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
:(

Well best of luck to you in whatever you do next, Inafune. If it's more games I'll be sure to check them out.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
aw man.
Thats kinda sad.
Oh well, hopefully he will get into something her enjoys again.
20 years, that's a good long time, though im curious to see how the Megaman franchise goes from here.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I wonder if this has anything to do with his drawing coming in last place for the Megaman Legends heroine contest.
Capcom and Megaman rank up there with Nintendo for me, which is the greatest compliment I could possibly give. I hope the company doesn't suffer too much from the loss, and I hope Mr. Inafune finds whatever it is he's looking for in life. (please let it be making fantastic games)