Mega Man Legends Returns With PSN Port Next Week

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mega Man Legends Returns With PSN Port Next Week

A PSN port of the original Mega Man Legends will be released next Tuesday for $9.99.

planned sequel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mega%20man%20legends?os=%20mega%20man%20legends] for it back in 2011, effectively killing the franchise. But now, Capcom has suddenly shown interest in the spin-off, announcing that a PSN port of the original game will launch on PSN next Tuesday.

"And so it is my privilege to confirm that next Tuesday, September 29th, you will be able to purchase the precocious PS1 classic, Mega Man Legends, on the North American PlayStation Store. The game will be $9.99, which is considerably lower than the game's going rate on the likes of eBay. I hope you'll agree with me that it is well worth it to finally see this game available again," wrote Capcom community representative Greg Moore [http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/09/22/mega-man-legends-coming-to-north-american-playstation-store].

He added that while the port will be playable on PS3/4 and PS Vita, it won't work with the PSP due to technical limitations.

Hopefully this renewed interest means that Capcom may be planning on rebooting the franchise, which would be some pretty good news considering Mega Man Legends fans have recently had their hopes dashed, with the failure of spiritual successor Red Ash's Kickstarter. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141448-Mega-Man-Legends-Spiritual-Successor-Red-Ash#&gid=gallery_4384&pid=1]

Source: Capcom [http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/09/22/mega-man-legends-coming-to-north-american-playstation-store]

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I love Megaman Legends! I'd love to see ML3! Too bad I don't trust Capcom to boil water and I already own this game.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
It should be noted that Red Ash didn't fail. They found a publisher while the kickstarter was still ongoing, so the investments promptly stopped. It's still getting made, with every single backer goal getting fulfilled. If they hadn't found a publisher, it may have been funded through kickstarter. People just didn't see the point in investing when there was already a 100% chance of the full game being made.

Anyway, as excited as I am for Red Ash, I would like to see Legends finished. I played it when I was a wee lad, and it would be nice to see the plot receive closure. I hope this means they re-release the sequel as well. I recently re-bought Legends, but I don't own the sequel anymore. I would gladly buy it now.

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
Fox12 said:
It should be noted that Red Ash didn't fail. They found a publisher while the kickstarter was still ongoing, so the investments promptly stopped. It's still getting made, with every single backer goal getting fulfilled. If they hadn't found a publisher, it may have been funded through kickstarter. People just didn't see the point in investing when there was already a 100% chance of the full game being made.

Anyway, as excited as I am for Red Ash, I would like to see Legends finished. I played it when I was a wee lad, and it would be nice to see the plot receive closure. I hope this means they re-release the sequel as well. I recently re-bought Legends, but I don't own the sequel anymore. I would gladly buy it now.

Sorry, but you must of been watching a different Kickstarter than me. The fact they had a publisher backing them was announced within a few days of the goal's ending date. Such a deal wasn't made quickly, and had to have taken AT LEAST a couple of weeks if they hurried through it. Without the publisher, there was zero chance of the game funding because, to put it plainly, it would require a push to essentially double what they had near the start--which would be in the realm of impossibility. So when it was announced the Kickstarter was fluff (in terms of starting the project that is), nothing was changed. "Not seeing a reason to back since its 100% anyways" is patently false with most any Kickstarter, given stretch goals are essentially that.

The only difference here was they flubbed up hard as hell when they chose to start it, delivered nothing with the Kickstarter video itself, and flubbed up the rest of the campaign up to and including the announcement of "no worries, you guys are insignificant towards starting this game anyhow". They had blown all their momentum way too earlier, and squandered what was left because they had two projects going, and neither project was exactly a major offer. Had they of waited even just half a month or so, it would of looked better. And if they hadn't announced "by the way, Mighty #9 delayed" practically at the closing of the kickstarters, I think people would be a bit more giving to them as well.

As for this...? Meh. Capcom isn't going to restart Legends 3, and while it's great they finally stopped being lazy about securing the rights to release Legends 1 digitally, it means little when the company still can't even figure out what its own player base wants (aside from the SF group, that is).

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
We don't think this franchise is vary popular, but we will keep trying to resell it to you!

Thanks but i own a copy of it on pc, maybe you could bring megaman legends 2 to the west, i might dole out some bread.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Corey Schaff said:
Oh man, definitely got to get this. I hope they eventually release The Misadventures of Tron Bonne and Legends 2 as well!
It probably depends on how well the first one does.

That's normal game dev logic, at least. Capcom logic might yet be a different matter...

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Corey Schaff said:
Oh man, definitely got to get this. I hope they eventually release The Misadventures of Tron Bonne and Legends 2 as well!
Good news, everyone! Tron Bonne is already available on PSN. Keeping my fingers crossed for Legends 2, though. This is one of the last PS1 re-releases I wish for.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
It's not a spin off it's actually in the main canon just thousands of years later iirc.

Hopefully this comes to the EU PSN to.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
He added that while the port will be playable on PS3/4 and PS Vita, it won't work with the PSP due to technical limitations.
I smell bullshit. The PSP can run every PSOne classics game you can throw at it, while the Vita only has support for a handful of titles. I sincerely doubt there is something special about Mega Man Legends that wouldn't allow it to run on the same system as every other title available. I think Capcom botched up the port job and are trying to hide that.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Scrythe said:
Steven Bogos said:
I smell bullshit. The PSP can run every PSOne classics game you can throw at it, while the Vita only has support for a handful of titles. I sincerely doubt there is something special about Mega Man Legends that wouldn't allow it to run on the same system as every other title available. I think Capcom botched up the port job and are trying to hide that.
Fun thing, they ported Megaman Legends as a Playstation Portable game back during the Playstation Portable's lifetime, not saying that this has anything to do with it. Maybe they figured that the controls weren't working out for the PSP ( my biggest guess, I remember playing the PSP game and well, it was rather difficult ), or they ran into snags with the emulator on the PSP and didn't bother to try and patch the game properly.

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
while my instinctive response is something like: HOLY FUCK YES YES YES YESYESYESYES

I am reminded that there were issues with voice actors or something that was originally preventing this from happening...and I am concerned what may have changed for this release...

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Okamisama said:
Fox12 said:

Sorry, but you must of been watching a different Kickstarter than me. The fact they had a publisher backing them was announced within a few days of the goal's ending date. Such a deal wasn't made quickly, and had to have taken AT LEAST a couple of weeks if they hurried through it. Without the publisher, there was zero chance of the game funding because, to put it plainly, it would require a push to essentially double what they had near the start--which would be in the realm of impossibility. So when it was announced the Kickstarter was fluff (in terms of starting the project that is), nothing was changed. "Not seeing a reason to back since its 100% anyways" is patently false with most any Kickstarter, given stretch goals are essentially that.

The only difference here was they flubbed up hard as hell when they chose to start it, delivered nothing with the Kickstarter video itself, and flubbed up the rest of the campaign up to and including the announcement of "no worries, you guys are insignificant towards starting this game anyhow". They had blown all their momentum way too earlier, and squandered what was left because they had two projects going, and neither project was exactly a major offer. Had they of waited even just half a month or so, it would of looked better. And if they hadn't announced "by the way, Mighty #9 delayed" practically at the closing of the kickstarters, I think people would be a bit more giving to them as well.

As for this...? Meh. Capcom isn't going to restart Legends 3, and while it's great they finally stopped being lazy about securing the rights to release Legends 1 digitally, it means little when the company still can't even figure out what its own player base wants (aside from the SF group, that is).
I agree when they announced that they were starting another Kickstarter campaign for another game I thought wait you guys haven't released the first game. I am not giving any to you till I have played the first one. If they had waited till next year after Mighty #9 was released. Last I read they still need Kickstarter support to reach the stretch goals. The publisher is only paying for the base game nothing extra. If they had reached 100% on Kickstarter then the extra money would go to the stretch goals. Also now that they have a publisher will they get full creative rights or will the publisher have some say in what is released like they always do.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Yesssssssss, now they just need to bring Mega Man Legends 2 to psn since I already own the first one and everything will truly be golden