Mega Man, Metroid and More Go Pulp in Retro Sci-Fi Covers

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Mega Man, Metroid and More Go Pulp in Retro Sci-Fi Covers

Artist Josh Ketchen has released a new series of illustrations re-imagining classic video games as pulp science fiction novels.

I'm going to go ahead and confess that I have something of a weakness for classic, pulpy science fiction. Even considering all of the baggage that comes with that sect of sci-fi, there's just something about it that I find endearingly goofy even when it's not necessarily good. Some of this, I know, comes from the cover art that often adorned these books. Often filled to the brim with bright colors and over-the-top cliches, there's just something about them that strikes a good chord with me.

You can understand, in turn, why I was delighted to discover Josh Ketchen's recently released art series Arcade Adventures. Transforming beloved video games into pulpy sci-fi covers, Ketchen's illustrations include drawings based on Metroid, Ketchen himself has been working as an illustrator for more than eight years "and drawing since he was able to hold a pencil." In addition to this current series, he has, in the past, produced other mash-up works including a series of <a href=http://www.redbubble.com/people/jktees/works/12642259-return-of-the-plumber>Star Wars-themed Super Mario posters.

As nifty as some of his other work is though, I have to say that I'm still most impressed with these retro covers. Setting aside the fact that he pretty much nails the look of the old books he's spoofing, he clearly also put a lot of work into detailing them in such a way that they actually look like the sort of worn and weathered tome you might finding hiding in 99 cent paperback section of a second hand book store. If you take a look a Ketchne's work and find that you like it, poster-sized prints are <a href=https://www.riptapparel.com/products/stores/creativeoutpouring/?avad=55963_f8348b52>currently being sold for about $20-$25 depending on the image.
[gallery=3888]

Source: Creative Outpouring

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
I think these are pretty good, though I am also a fan of pulp science-fiction.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I would read the hell out of all of these. The Bioshock looks especially good, and the style fits in with the time period :).

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I want the Resident Evil one myself, that one I would read the hell out of. The rest look great too but the Resident Evil one I'd like to read just to see how would they show things like the BOW's or the Tyrant in it's stasis tube in the lab.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Ukomba said:
I would read the hell out of all of these. The Bioshock looks especially good, and the style fits in with the time period :).
I was just about to say the same thing about the Bioshock cover as well. It really fits.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I like these pictures. I like them a lot.

On a related note: Someday I need to read some pulp SF to see if it's any good.

Ultimatecalibur

Sep 26, 2010
Several of them are very good, but I don't like the Metroid one. Surprise ending twists were fairly popular in pulp SF and I think it should have gone with hiding Samus' sex.

Queen Michael said:
On a related note: Someday I need to read some pulp SF to see if it's any good.
It can be very hit and miss, even stuff from the same author and editor. Most of the good pulp stories tend to be well known and it is very possible you have already read a fair number of the short stories.