Mega Man X Coming To 3DS This Thursday [UPDATE]

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mega Man X Coming To 3DS This Thursday [UPDATE]

Out of nowhere, a Super Nintendo classic is making the leap to Nintendo's latest handheld.

Though, given the facts, I'm not sure why this move is so surprising. Let's examine, shall we?

According to a blurb on Capcom's European community site, Mega Man X will be released on the 3DS' eShop on March 8 for the likely-trend-setting price of 800 Nintendo points (aka $8 in real person money). This is important for two key reasons:

First, unless I missed a memo, this is the first time a SNES title will be appearing in downloadable form on the handheld. Presumably more games from the 16-bit era will be following shortly.

Second, objectively speaking, Mega Man X is an great game [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM], and certainly earns its status as a "classic." Outside of Street Fighter II, it's likely Capcom's most beloved SNES game, and given the frankly stupid-huge number of awesome games the company churned out during that era, that's a pretty solid accomplishment.

So, verdict? We're all pleased about this one, right? I mean, even you people still smarting over Capcom's repeated attempts to kick sand in Mega Man's robotic face over the past year have to be happy about this one, right?

C'mon internet, don't let me down here! You guys just gotta find something to whine about here! That's, like, your thing man!

UPDATE: Bad news kids. It seems that Mega Man X is actually scheduled to appear on the Wii's Virtual Console, not the 3DS. Capcom left a pretty big typo in the original announcement.

This is where you should commence with the whinin'.

Source: Capcom Europe [http://www.capcom-europe.com/blog/2012/03/mega-man-x-comes-to-the-3ds-virtual-console/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It's cool and all but... I still have me original cartridge. Think I will stick to that one :p

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Yes, I'd rather play it on my SNES instead, but there's a third important point here. This suggests that Capcom may have suddenly recognised that Mega Man / Rockman (a) still exist, (b) are very popular, (c) are owned by Capcom. Maybe, just maybe, there's still gold in that mine. It would be nice to see them finally stop kicking the franchise to the curb. Granted, IntiCreates did a wonderful job on 9/10 and I hope they continue, but more Mega Man can only be a good thing.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
It still find it hilarious how people insist that going a year without its five Mega Man game quota is somehow "throwing sand in the Blue Bomber's face"

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Aiddon said:
It still find it hilarious how people insist that going a year without its five Mega Man game quota is somehow "throwing sand in the Blue Bomber's face"
Wait... there has been an average of Five(5) megaman games release each year?

This seems like news to me.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, even my critical abilities cant find anything wrong about rereleasing a 20(?) year old classic game on a new platform.

Though im not a Megaman fan, so i think ill leave it to them.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Calling it now, we won't see it...

Still waiting for AAI2. I want to buy it.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
C'mon internet, don't let me down here! You guys just gotta find something to whine about here! That's, like, your thing man!
So... did you just try to joke-insult your fanbase?

How do people get away with this shit?

But to answer your question no I don't find anything wrong with this. Maybe a bit high price-wise for an older game like this, but I wouldn't mind buying this at some point to have on my 3DS.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
So I'll have thee different versions of this game then, not that I'm complaining.

I love that game, I just hope they don't screw this up.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Wish granted. Capcom teased us with the possibility of a new Megaman Legends, and then backed out on that. Now, apparently, they want to push a port of a 20 year old game off on us instead. Yes, it might not be a whole lot of money, but this is not how you support a system, and the game certainly is not going to sell the system. I would have bought a 3DS in a heartbeat for another Megaman Legends game. As it stands, I have no reason not to wait for the inevitable second hardware revision.

YMMV.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
BrunDeign said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

Because it's a fairly accurate statement on par with Space is really big? Honestly, one does NOT have to look far to find people bitching and moaning on the internet, ESPECIALLY in gamer circles nowadays.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, the reason why everyone thinks Capcom is throwing sand in Mega Man's face is because:

-They canceled MML3 for no valid reason at all.
-They also canceled Mega Man Universe.
-The were very adamant about not including X in MvC3, for whatever reason. (Zero's cool, but come on. It's like having Vergil without Dante).
-The only time they included Mega Man in a fighting game as of lately was Bad-Box art Mega Man. And that looks more like trolling.
-They refuse to acknowledge this Mega Man thirst coming from the fans. Is it not obvious they want more Mega Man? You'd think they want our money.

At any rate, this is good news. Egoraptor actually made me want to play Mega Man X, so I bought the Collection for the PS2 not too long ago. Granted, I would like to see a new Mega Man game come out instead of a re-release, but alright. I'll take it.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Bad news everyone.It was a typo.

Now about that bad joke upon the fans.Joke is on you.Capcom is run by idiots.Or at least blinds

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Metalix Knightmare said:
BrunDeign said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

Because it's a fairly accurate statement on par with Space is really big? Honestly, one does NOT have to look far to find people bitching and moaning on the internet, ESPECIALLY in gamer circles nowadays.
This. But also, I'm an unrepentant jerk who is nourished by the tears of the common man.

bafrali said:
Bad news everyone.It was a typo.

Now about that bad joke upon the fans.Joke is on you.Capcom is run by idiots.Or at least blinds
This is both a lie, and really poorly written. Please ignore this everyone.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Why can't i view the official page then?And why aren't there any other news about it on other sites

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-06-mega-man-x-kid-icarus-on-wii-eshop-this-week

This was the intended news but someone at capcom screwed up.Shocking right?

And props for acknowledging your mistake in a mature way.Man what a forum

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Aiddon said:
You clearly haven't been paying attention to the Mega Man series over the past few years. Between letting the X series fester and die a terrible death and canceling a lot of highly anticipated Mega Man games, that franchise (and thus its fans) has basically been Capcoms whipping boy the past few years. Anytime Capcom gets stressed, they decided to announce some big Mega Man project to get our hopes up, then cancel it a few months down the road so they can bathe in our tears.

About the only love that Mega Man has gotten in the recent past are the (admittedly) awesome 8-bit throw-back sequels, Mega Man 9 and 10.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Metalix Knightmare said:
BrunDeign said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

I know but for someone to come out and directly say it to the virtual faces of the people that they need to keep around to stay afloat... seems kind of stupid.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
It's not the Megaman Legends 3 that I would much rather have. I have this game on SNES and if I were feeling saucy I'd get ROM of it for an emulator.

You know you want MML3 as well, Earnesto :p