Megaupload data to be deleted starting thursday

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
http://whatshawt.com/technology/megaupload-data-may-be-erased-by-thursday-448.html

Anyone here uploaded data to Megaupload? If so, you better hope you have a copy of it.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
No one here uses megaupload? Seriously? I could of sworn people were angry when it was taken down.

itaywex

May 19, 2011
I can't belive they are doing it, while there are many people who download movies and other files through MUm, isn't it illigal to delete the data of innocent users?

Lopende Paddo

Aug 26, 2004
W T F that cant be legal, if i rent a storage and put my stuff there and the company I rent that storage space from also stores stolen goods there I would think that when said storage company gets caught the state wouldn't burn my personal property because it happened to be stored by the same company as the stolen goods... this is completely ridiculous! FUCK THE USA!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I don't have anything on there. However, this just seems wrong. If anything, you're inspiring more pirates USA...

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Lopende Paddo said:
W T F that cant be legal, if i rent a storage and put my stuff there and the company I rent that storage space from also stores stolen goods there I would think that when said storage company gets caught the state wouldn't burn my personal property because it happened to be stored by the same company as the stolen goods... this is completely ridiculous! FUCK THE USA!
That analogy doesn't really work, as it's very very difficult to make a copy of a physical object but relatively simple to copy and store electronic data.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I've said it before, I'll say it again; stunts like this might play well with the crowd that gets all their news from the TV and doesn't know anything about computers, but experienced Internet users know better. Taking out Megaupload won't stop piracy. Hell, it won't even slow it down.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Jack the Potato said:
Lopende Paddo said:
That analogy doesn't really work, as it's very very difficult to make a copy of a physical object but relatively simple to copy and store electronic data.
Actually, a case could probably be made for seizing physically property in a situation like Lopende Paddo describes under RICO laws that have been around since the 1970s. I'm not saying it's right, but that's how screwed up laws can be.