Men who own cats.

Fozza

Jul 6, 2010
Haha!
I have a dog and I prefer dogs to cats, though I do not believe it's wrong for a man to have a cat. haha.

issacization

Jul 6, 2009
im a guy and ive had 5 cats throughout my years, i understand that not everyone likes them but they are so much better pets than dogs, though i do want a German shepherd when im older because they are awesome.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I own a cat, and I consider myself a normal person... cats are great pets. I also own a dog, and a parrot... so I am pretty much covered.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
Cats were the only large pets I could have as kid. So it feels more normal for me to own a cat. Some people give me shit for it.

I just don't get why it seems feminine to own one. I have large male cat that goes outside mostly. He kills tons of little animals and gets into fights a lot, coming home all bloody. That's bad ass not girly. People are just narrow minded, brainwashed retards.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Nerdfury said:
"He's ******,"
next time you hear that you should say they should grow more than one braincell and learn proper English before mocking someone. grammar nazi comebacks are the -best-.
They didn't call you gay :D Only a pile of sticks!

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
ShadowHarrier said:
Male. I don't think it's weird. I've gotten strange looks from women I've brought home, but that's because of my personality. They expect me to have a snake or something.

I like and have both, but prefer the cat. Smaller, quieter, cleaner. However, he is the one cat that demands more attention than a dog. XD He wakes me up every morning purring and nuzzling against my chin.
Welcome to the Escapist!

And yeah, Cats can be attention whores, usually when you trying to do something else.

Like read. Having a cat somehow crawl in front of a book as amazing to watch but bloody annoying.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I'm male and would choose a cat over a dog every single time. Dogs are far too high maintenance for a lazy bastard like me... apart from the one I had as a teenager, who refused to go for walks. Never known a dog like him.

Cats are great, and pretty self-reliant... all they really need is food, water and a bit of attention when they're bored. My parents' cat is the most chilled out animal I've ever seen, although he requires a new collar every week 'cos he somehow manages to lose them. As soon as I'm living in a place that allows pets, I'll be getting a kitten.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Can you give a dog a pirate hat and then use it as a projectile weapon? No. Can you do that with a cat, hell yes!.

In terms of weaponry purposes the cat wins every time and as weapons are definitely manly and phallic we must conclude that the manliest pet out of the two is the cat.

Of course in terms of weaponised Animals the true winner is the Unicorn the manliest animal of all.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Oh no, how DARE someone break the gender stereotypes and choose to have a pet that doesn't shit everywhere and yet is incredibly adorable.

Seriously, if people believe you're gay for having a cat, then they're not the people you should be hanging round with.

(Personally I'd find a chihuahua or other similarly miniscule dogs to be weirder)

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
You know, I never see these homophobia stereotypes around here. Maybe I'm in some well adjusted hole...

OT: Male and I see no problem with owning cats. If they're seen as "feminine", point out that just means they'll make you more popular with the ladies.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
I am male, and no, I don't think it's weird for a guy to own a cat. I have a friend who has a cat. 2, actually, an old one and a kitten. Although, he lives with his girlfriend, so not many people would think it weird. At least, I think it would be weird to have to cats and live alone.

And what about this? This guy owns a cat.

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
deus-ex-machina said:
Hafnium said:
deus-ex-machina said:
It's like owning a small dog. It's just pretty... girly. Makes me think of Paris Hilton and all I can see is the guy walking down the road with the cat or dog in his 'man bag'. I think the reaction you received was unfair, but saying that, they only said what a lot more people would have kept to themselves.
I don't know anyone who bring their cat around town like Hollywood halfwits, it's not something the average cat-owner does.

deus-ex-machina said:
There's nothing wrong with it. I'm not saying that. Thinking about it, there's nothing strange about it. But people who own cats generally:
a) Own a load of them and are social outcasts eg Simpson's Mad Cat Lady
b) Speak to their cat a lot and don't care much for people eg Austin Power's Doctor Evil
c) Are Catwoman.
That's quite a generalization, and it's very untrue. :)
People with cats are not that different from others, and if they were, it wouldn't be in a bad way.
Okay, I'll be fair to what I actually know of cat owners and cats in general. There is option D), which is probably the choice of most non-celebrities.

D) Supply food and water and end up wondering if they own the cat or if the cat owns them.

I've often been left thinking that for the five minutes a week the cat seems to want some attention off the owner, is it really worth all the money you pay for its maintenance? Some people have told me they really like the arrogance of their cat and that it looks like it has a superiority complex.

Seriously? Maybe that's why some people think single male cat owners are weird.
So then you're saying that it means all male cat owners are looking for a 'Dominatrix' type woman?

Also; male and had cats my entire life until now, I just can't afford the extra rent each month on top of the costs of being owned by one Q.Q

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
that is not odd.
i like cats but not in my house. also my boyfriend is allergic to cats so that is why he does not.
cats are manly! have you ever pissed off a cat? it's claws coming at your face that is pretty scary!

pauloalbatross

Nov 10, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
As I am learning to become a professional, paid grammar nazi (A.K.A. Proofreader), I think he should have slapped them for being idiots. But yes, I agree with you on that.
How do you become a proofreader? What sort of training do you have to do? I'm a grammar Nazi myself (only a private at the moment) and that seems an interesting outlet for my grammatical OCD-ness.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
There is nothing overbearingly feminine about taking care of a fluffy kittynoodles ^^.

I have three fluffed kittynoodli myself, and I'm an exemplar of the masculine lifestyle.

Seriously, though. You can't judge a man's sexuality by the animal company he keeps. Unless the animal in question is a poodle or a chihuahua or something.

Meltyman

Jul 15, 2010
male. my parents always had dogs and i grew up with one dog in our family so i´ve always liked dogs alot and cats has always appeared stupid and dull to me, since i´ve never seen them on a daily basis.

well now me and my fiancée have 2 cats (she talked me into gettin em ofc...) and i wouldnt trade them for anything !

im a carpenter and ive heard jokes about me having cats, mainly because they have cute names so its kinda ironic that a "manly carpenter" talks about cute little kittens... i dont think anyone would have to take it seriously when someone teases you about having cats, nothing special about that imo... :)

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Scobie said:
Are you sodding kidding me? On top of every other completely harmless thing that people declare "weird" and therefore verboten for some arbitrary reason, it's now not OK for a guy to like cats? No. The hell with that. It's utterly ridiculous. Cats are awesome. I like cats. I like people who like cats. My dad's owned cats his entire life and when I get my own space I'm going to have at least two. Because I like cats. And someone wants to take that away from me because it's "weird"? I'll kick them in the head. Seriously, anyone who thinks that is an idiot and I'll tell them so.

Anyone wondering why I'm getting so pissed off about this, it's just that the world is a shitty enough place without people ruining other people's fun pointlessly. It's the same thing that pisses me off so much about homophobia, actually. It just really gets to me.
Your avatar fits this very well.

And I completely agree.