Mens Rights Activists

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Lil devils x said:
I have only two more questions.

Are you unable or unwilling to talk about what you actually started the discussion about?
Are you trying to misrepresent my opinion due to missunderstandment between us or due to malicious intent?

and one constatation

And again, your understandment of circumstances in British Commonwealth is really limited and in some aspects just plain wrong.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
thaluikhain said:
DizzyChuggernaut said:
I actually find parallels between the "I can't trust men because I've read all these scary stories of abusive men" feminists and the "I can't trust women because I've read scary stories about abusive women" MGTOWs. I find it absolutely appalling that people are actively trying to PERPETUATE distrust between genders.
As a rule, it is not feminists who are responsible for the large amount of violence perpetuated by men against women,
You make it sound like there's this great crisis of violence against women and yet there's less violence period and most violence is against men.

Yeah feminists aren't responsible for the violence but they ARE helping to spread sexist paranoia with BS rape statistics and then they justify said paranoia. I'm sure you've heard the M and M analogy being thrown around.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
thaluikhain said:
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Good points, but to me it reminds me of people who are terrified of sharks or of flying in airplanes. Shark attacks and plane crashes are reported so often that you'd be forgiven if you believed that they happened constantly. But the reality is, very few people are attacked by sharks and air travel is often very safe. Similarly, we're constantly reminded of serial killers and rapists who stalk women and kidnap them only to slash them up later, stories of sexual assault or sexually-driven violence are common. But the reality is that while it still happens, the fear of it is far more prominent than actual instances of it.

Let's not forget, it's not strangers that commit the most rapes, yet it's usually strangers that are under the most scrutiny. Which is understandable, I expect lots of people to be very cautious around people they're unfamiliar with when it's dark and quiet outside. But it grinds my gears when that discomfort is turned into hostility. I know not all feminists are like that and I am extremely thankful for that, but it's a toxic mentality that I see far too often.

And yes I am aware that sexual assault happens more often than shark attacks and plane crashes, I was just comparing them because I think the same mentality is at play. I often hear feminists speak about how they're terrified of rejecting advances from men because they're afraid of being murdered, as if it's such a common occurrence. While it could be argued that I'm directing my frustration in the wrong direction, I do believe that this extreme paranoia contributes to sexism. Not sexism against men, not sexism against women, just "sexism" as a whole.
I think you're downplaying how common they are there. More or less everyone will know at least one woman who was a victim of male violence.
"Male violence" is so vague it can mean anything from murder to "a toddler pushed me when I was 3". SO yeah I'm pretty sure it has happened to everyone, same with female violence. That tells us nothing about rape and sexual assault.

thaluikhain said:
I've a number as FB friends, the only person I FB chatted to today (well, yesterday now) had been raped twice by different people. These aren't people I've met on feminist or rape survivor circles or anything, just people I've happened to become acquainted with during my life.
The plural of anecdote is not data. I know someone who got hit by a car twice, but he's the only one.

thaluikhain said:
In any case, IMHO, you seem to have overlooked an important point though, that a female victim will almost always be told that it is her fault that she didn't do more to prevent it.
[citation needed]

And you know what this a weak excuse, when men face violence from women the response is way less serious. Their rapes are treated like a joke, it might not even BE classified as rape by law and there's accounts of men calling police on abusive girlfriends and getting arrested themselves because the cops just assume they were the perpetrator. And yet you don't see a lot of support for "men, go be paranoid of women, it's the smart thing to do". Because that's sexist and stupid.

thaluikhain said:
That is, women are supposed to be permanently frightened of men, and act on that fear. Also, that men violence against women is something we are supposed to take for granted.
Violence period is something to to be taken for granted, same with bad drivers, but someone who will never drive ever is called paranoid.

JessePinkmanJr

Jun 3, 2015
Just wanted to add: I think we need to stop calling the people who go around just hating men and not listening to reason feminists because they're not actually feminists.

Real feminists have and are tackling real problems, (logically and legally I'll add), and there are real problems out there for women today, for example being treated as second class citizens in certain countries and genital mutilation. These online "wanna-be-feminists" aren't helping anything and are just most likely seeking attention. I came across one online who claimed that video games were needed because they "distracted men enough to stop them from going out and raping". As stupid, untrue and perhaps angering as that comment is, we need to just ignore them, stop associating them with actual feminists and pay attention to what matters.

Same goes with the men's rights activists. There are real ones who are tackling real problems (For example, in Mexico, the court does not favour the mother for custody of children anymore and instead examines both parents equally) and then there are those who claim to be men right's activists and are doing nothing productive. (I haven't seen the new Mad Max film, but I'm guessing its not "feminist propaganda").

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
I think MRAs are a bit of a unfunny joke at this point I personally see them as trying to latch on to a couple of issues that do effect men so that they can deflect what they are really on about which is being anti woman.