Mental Health Support Group Disturbed By Manhunt 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mental Health Support Group Disturbed By Manhunt 2

The National Alliance on Mental Illness [http://www.rockstargames.com/manhunt2] issuing a statement criticizing the game for "perpetuating and reinforcing" negative stereotypes about the world's wackos and nutjobs.

"Even though some people may consider Manhunt 2 to be only a game, it unfortunately perpetuates and reinforces cruel, inaccurate perceptions that people who live with mental illness are violent," said NAMI Executive Director Mike Fitzpatrick. "The U.S. Surgeon General has condemned such stigmatization, identifying fear of stigma as a major barrier to people getting help when they need it."

"The overall contribution of mental illnesses to violence in society is exceptionally small. In fact, people living with mental illness are far more likely to be victims of violence," he added.

Claiming that his group does not favor censorship, he nonetheless said, "NAMI asks Rockstar Games [http://www.rockstargames.com]to recall or further modify the videogame Manhunt 2 due to its irresponsible, stereotyped portrayal of mental illness. We also ask retailers to be responsible in responding to public health concerns."

Founded in 1979 as the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, NAMI claims over 200,000 members and 1000 affiliates across the United States. The agency offers public and family information and education services, support activities and advocacy on behalf of the mentally ill.

nagumo [deprecated]

Nov 3, 2007
Sigh. Where is the same narrow-minded indictment of Hollywood? Save for a few exceptions, every time I see mental illness portrayed in some Hollywood endeavor, the individual is portrayed like some criminally insane murderer. Somehow, people seem to have it in mind that it is just a movie, and that all those afflicted with mental illness are not raving mad men out to kill anything that moves. I find great hypocrisy in only attacking video games in such stereotypical fashion.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
While I sort of have to agree, it's the equivalent of saying "But Billy peed in the soup too!" It's still something bad to do. Stop it.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Jesus. Will it ever stop?
I suppose Hollywood isn't littered with absurd stereotypes and retarded generalizations, right?
The wagon is already full. Thank you NAMI.

nagumo [deprecated]

Nov 3, 2007
Katana314 said:
While I sort of have to agree, it's the equivalent of saying "But Billy peed in the soup too!" It's still something bad to do. Stop it.
So it's bad to present a fictional piece using stereotypical characters? After all, I do not look to games for enlightenment, I look to them purely for entertainment. Anyone doing the former gets what they deserve.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Obviously the problem is that kids are much more impressionable than adults, so the need to police and enforce restrictions against the game industry is much more urgent than that of, say, the movie industry.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Malygris said:
Obviously the problem is that kids are much more impressionable than adults, so the need to police and enforce restrictions against the game industry is much more urgent than that of, say, the movie industry.
Well, tongue in cheek aside, the film industry is a bit better regulated than the game industry, no?

Lord T Hawkeye

Oct 24, 2007
People are made up of stupids and non stupids. Nothing you put on any media is going to make someone change sides. Make a game about how great it would be if stupids became non-stupids, it won't happen.

Next question