Metal Gear Movie Unlikely to Solidify

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Grampy_bone said:
An MGS movie could be really awesome... but it probably wouldn't be. Best to leave it alone.
This, it would seem awesome on paper but I'm rather sure it would be pure suck on film, just let it be as it is.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Wouldn't it be funny if the movie was interrupted every five minutes by a ten hour game sequence?
I was thinking that too!

But then, you may as well play the games, BAM! There's your movie right there :)
No, that's the opposite of the game.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Wouldn't it be funny if the movie was interrupted every five minutes by a ten hour game sequence?
I was going to post just "insert witty comment related to MGS games' extremely long cutscenes", but you, sir, win hard.

Dec 14, 2009
The Random One said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I was going to post just "insert witty comment related to MGS games' extremely long cutscenes", but you, sir, win hard.
I was laughing hard when I typed it lol.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
This makes me very happy. I could not stand to see such a beloved franchise ruined with what would definitely be a terrible movie. I am so glad that the series is being left in the video game medium where it belongs.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Couldn't people just play the game? It's longer and they couldn't even fit an eighth of the story in a 4 hour movie.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Yopaz said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I was thinking that too!

But then, you may as well play the games, BAM! There's your movie right there :)
No, that's the opposite of the game.
How so? I've played all of them and they're more of an interactive movie in my opinion.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Metal Gear Movie Unlikely to Solidify

A movie based on the escapades of stealth master Solid Snake has been in the works for years, but the final product may never be released.

The theatrical release of a Metal Gear Solid movie is looking very unlikely at this point, according to producer Michael De Luca. Despite rumblings [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89626-Hayter-To-Work-on-Metal-Gear-Solid-Movie] last year that the movie was back in action, it probably will never happen.

In an interview with Kotaku [http://www.collider.com/2010/01/10/producer-mike-de-luca-says-its-game-over-for-a-metal-gear-solid-movie/] sources say part of the problem is a funding issue. Sony Pictures wanted to provide a certain amount of money to back the film with, possibly in the range of $40 to $80 million, but Kojima Productions and Konami felt it was too low.

De Luca went on to say that "it was just kind of impossible to get the agendas to match up" for those involved with the project. The biggest issue seemed to be the protection of the Metal Gear Solid property itself. De Luca believes:

A movie can only hurt. If the movie's great, you're probably not going to sell more games. It's such a separate thing. The franchise being as big as it [is] kind of helps the movie...I'm not sure the movie does the same thing for the game.

Metal Gear Solid is a huge brand that even held up the PlayStation 3 when it was arguably failing for a while, so a movie based on the series isn't exactly something you can throw out to Uwe Boll and then call a day. However, we haven't seen the last of Michael De Luca, as he also appears to be attached to the Preacher [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_%28comics%29] movie adaptation. Ah, the life of a producer, going from a gravelly-voiced mustachioed hero to a drooling teenager that blasted himself in the face with a shotgun.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.collider.com/2010/01/10/producer-mike-de-luca-says-its-game-over-for-a-metal-gear-solid-movie/]

You're kidding me right?

The game already plays like a freakin' novel, and now they want to take out the gameplay? As in the only-fast-thing-in-the-game gameplay? What's Hideo Kojima trying to do to us, script us to death?

Thankfully that they won't do it. My brain might have exploded had I've had to go through that kinda cutscene without some gameplay to keep me sane

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
There already is a Metal Gear movie, it was terrible. It was called Metal Gear Solid 4.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Doug said:
BLASPHEMY!

The collective video game community decided that such a movie never occured, and thus was never to be mentioned again. You are sentenced to stoning by ET Atari 2600 catridges.

OT: I have mixed feelings on the matter, I've always been a fan of the series and have always wanted to see a movie adaptation of Metal Gear Solid, but with how some movies coming out lately, I'd be skeptical.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Probably for the best - to be honest, making a MGS movie shouldn't be that hard; the 4 games provide more than enough cinematics for the movie to basically just consist of one long collague of cinematics and codec sequences; they wouldn't even need to hire actors! Hell, I'd kind of like to see someone do that.

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
Ah well at least you can enjoy that feature length Fan-Made movie Metal Gear Solid Philanthropy.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Only hardcore fans of the "games" think that it would take Hollywood to ruin it as a movie. Turns out that it already became a movie a long time ago and it terrible dialogue in it, despite the great voice acting.

And I ain't talking about that fan movie.

Daystar Clarion said:
Man, it would be great if the games were like that, actually. :sigh:

By the way, your comment was a riot!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ocelot GT said:
Dont let hollywood ruin this.
That would imply it wasn't ruined already by Kojima's insistent desire to fix a series he keeps claiming he's done with.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
Well duh I could have told you that! Fit all that politics, and philosophy into an at most 2 hours film? I don't think so, your average joe top grossing movies like avatar target is too stupid to even understand the Metal Gear Games, without dumbing it down like crazy and then it just wouldn't be metal gear any more.