Metal Gear Solid 5 E3 Trailer Re-Imagined With Metal Gear Solid 3

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Metal Gear Solid 5 E3 Trailer Re-Imagined With Metal Gear Solid 3

YouTuber YongYea has used footage from Metal Gear Solid 3 to create an impressive recreation of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain's E3 2014 trailer.

Potential spoilers in the trailer!

I'm just going to go ahead and say that Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best game in its franchise. Granted, it suffers from a lot of the same convolution that tends to plague the series at large and there are moment where it s gameplay mechanics can be a bit too deep for their own good, but in terms of sheer emotional punch, it's probably one of the most affecting games that I, personally, have ever played. You can perhaps understand why I fell so quickly in love with YouTuber YongYea's recently released fan trailer for the game based on the music (Mike Oldfield's Nuclear) and format of the <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVo-f9jvZqs>E3 2014 trailer for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

The video, which runs just shy of 6 minutes long, begins with game protagonist Big Boss standing in the middle of the field at the game's end and then visiting the grave of his mentor. It then proceeds through a series of inter-cut sequences loosely mimicking those shown in the The Phantom Pain's trailer. You've got your Big Boss pointing his gun at the screen, your Ocelot, helicopters, charging vehicles, a bagged torture victim, a fistfight, more torture and then a whole bunch more brawling after that.

All in all, it's an impressive piece of work that does a great job of co-opting the tone and template of the E3 trailer for Metal Gear Solid 3. In fact, there's a part of me (most likely my gushing internal fan) that feels as though YongYea's trailer could even be better than Kojima's. Sure it has the benefit of hailing from a game that's already had a chance to emotionally impact fans, but the themes of betrayal, desperation and abandonment present in that game just work so well with the music that it's hard not to love it. Give it a watch and let us know what you think.

Source: <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_UPrSEDt0>YongYea

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Snake Eater is one of those games I can't consider "I finished", but at the same time I did, I played the beginning at my cousin's house and a week later, I basically played through the end where my cousin got stuck, everything in between is completely new for me, that was back in '05.

It only shows how incredible Snake Eater was, that music fits perfectly well and some of the scenes actually almost matched the original trailer, shot for shot.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Im just going to drop this here as it is somewhat related:

More on topic though, I really didnt enjoy the original trailer as it looked like just a bunch of random scenes (some even with lips moving without us hearing anything) with a song playing in the back. For a trailer directed by Hideo Kojima himself it looked somewhat lazy, it was close to the typical youtube montage. Would this video be all that special if there wasnt a trailer like it before or would it still look like just another song/video montage?

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Snake Eater is one of those games I can't consider "I finished", but at the same time I did, I played the beginning at my cousin's house and a week later, I basically played through the end where my cousin got stuck, everything in between is completely new for me, that was back in '05.

It only shows how incredible Snake Eater was, that music fits perfectly well and some of the scenes actually almost matched the original trailer, shot for shot.
Some scenes do seem to fit, and the music fits thematically, but the scenes that don't fit REALLY don't fit and kind of ruin the whole affair. The most blatant part would be the beginning, where the Snake Eater footage doesn't match up at all. Seeing trailers being recreated is fun because of the challenge of matching all the beats and details from a different perspective or source, like that Source Filmmaker reproduction of the Hotline Miami 2 trailer. If you can only get it halfway there though, may as well not even bother.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm glad others agree that MGS3 is so far the best in the series. Absolutely my favorite.