Metal Gear Solid: Rising Still Has Plenty of Stealth

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Metal Gear Solid: Rising Still Has Plenty of Stealth



Just because Metal Gear Solid: Rising is focused around a cyborg samurai doesn't mean it won't feature stealth-focused gameplay.

Konami's slicing the hell out of everything [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Rising-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J8FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282840731&sr=8-1] with his nano-sword, but the game's creative director Shigenobu Matsuyama says that Rising is still a stealth game too.

It's just that the stealth in Rising will be an evolution of what we saw from Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-2-Liberty-Playstation/dp/B00005ML10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282840760&sr=8-1] and from Snake in every other version of the game. Thanks to what Matsuyama calls Raiden's "super abilities" and his "high speed," players will engage in "team hunting stealth" rather than running around cutting enemy soldiers in half all day.

"[Raiden] is very high speed and acrobatic," Matsuyama told Videogamer. "So, you might ask, where's the stealth? But, using his super abilities, his high speed, we call it the team hunting stealth. So you're not going to wait for the soldiers to pass by, you're going to aggressively hunt without getting spotted."

Matsuyama wants to show players why they should enjoy taking on the role of Raiden, as opposed to when many were incredibly upset over his replacement of Snake as a main character in MGS 2. "It's a new type of stealth, but it's still a stealth game," he continued. "With the katana, zan-datsu battle, and this stealth element, this is what I really wanted to accomplish for Rising, and when players play they will probably go 'Oh, I can't play this kind of style with Snake' so I'm very confident they'll be satisfied.'"

Matsuyama also said that he plans to prove that Raiden isn't the whiny brat people think he is by showing off the "strong parts of his mental state." He says: "And don't worry, we're going to try and make him not the weak Raiden, but really strong willed, and physically strong - make it really cool, so that people really will really enjoy controlling him."

That's great and all, but I really just want to slice lots of guys in half as shown in the E3 trailer. And make fruit salad.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/metal_gear_solid_rising/preview-2639.html]


Permalink
 

Syntax Error

New member
Sep 7, 2008
2,323
0
0
So, stealth that makes you feel like a hunter on the prowl? Sign me in!
.
..
...
Once I get a PS3.

Also, why do I get a sense of deja vu from this news bit?
 

Eldarion

New member
Sep 30, 2009
1,887
0
0
Sounds cool, I'm probably going to be the only one who is gonna say I am looking forward to this one.

In before "I love snake to much to play a game without him"


Edit=ninjad. I am not the only one exited.
 

Dr. wonderful

New member
Dec 31, 2009
3,260
0
0
Syntax Error said:
So, stealth that makes you feel like a hunter on the prowl? Sign me in!
.
..
...
Once I get a PS3.
You can get it on 360 too.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

You know, that kind of make sense. Raiden is now, a Uber Ninja, he pretty much can just run and slice his way to victory.

That, and I'm going to make him batman:

"I'm not going to kill you, But I want tou to tell your friends about me."
"WHAT ARE YOU1?"
"I'm Raiden...The fruit saled maker."
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
To hell with your silly stealth! I am going to cut bitches to ribbons because I can.
 

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
3,967
0
0
They can't try and show that he is some sort of badass after number 2. That solidified his whininess right there and they went from one extreme to another. This showed not him becoming strengthened by everything that has happened to him, but that hes putting on a huge front to cover up the fact that he is still that whiny insecure little ***** underneath that armor.
 

Dr. wonderful

New member
Dec 31, 2009
3,260
0
0
Mr.Pandah said:
They can't try and show that he is some sort of badass after number 2. That solidified his whininess right there and they went from one extreme to another. This showed not him becoming strengthened by everything that has happened to him, but that hes putting on a huge front to cover up the fact that he is still that whiny insecure little ***** underneath that armor.
I liked Raiden, though. He one of my favorite characters on that game.
 

Truly-A-Lie

New member
Nov 14, 2009
719
0
0
Whether it's stealthy or not it's still full of contradictions and bad character design. They can try to bring me back with promises of no kills and stealth gameplay, but they're going to have a hard time.
 

Treblaine

New member
Jul 25, 2008
8,682
0
0
Dr. wonderful said:
Syntax Error said:
So, stealth that makes you feel like a hunter on the prowl? Sign me in!
.
..
...
Once I get a PS3.
You can get it on 360 too.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

You know, that kind of make sense. Raiden is now, a Uber Ninja, he pretty much can just run and slice his way to victory.

That, and I'm going to make him batman:

"I'm not going to kill you, But I want tou to tell your friends about me."
"WHAT ARE YOU1?"
"I'm Raiden...The fruit salad maker."
Buy it on PC! Arkham Asylum was best on PC, as rated by Digital Foundry themselves.

(yes, you can use a gamepad, any type you like)

It'll be super-cheap on Steam.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
As i person who has never liked an MGS game i hope i can still run around cutting everything up like a madman
 

Mrsoupcup

New member
Jan 13, 2009
3,487
0
0
This is on the 360 right? If it is, I'm so pre-ordering it.

Edit: I hope that they remake/update the old MGS games for multiplatform. That would be so smexy.....

(I personally know several guys who would love to play MGS on the 360, and PC)
 

SalamanderJoe

New member
Jun 28, 2010
1,378
0
0
I have a feeling one of the high speed stealth moves is going to be slamming a melon on an enemy, and then slicing it in half as his mates watch in horror.
 

wolf92

New member
Aug 13, 2008
638
0
0
SalamanderJoe said:
I have a feeling one of the high speed stealth moves is going to be slamming a melon on an enemy, and then slicing it in half as his mates watch in horror.
Then you make a delicious fruit salad for them, before you kill them too
 

SalamanderJoe

New member
Jun 28, 2010
1,378
0
0
wolf92 said:
SalamanderJoe said:
I have a feeling one of the high speed stealth moves is going to be slamming a melon on an enemy, and then slicing it in half as his mates watch in horror.
Then you make a delicious fruit salad for them, before you kill them too
Ha! I wouldn't be surprised in all fairness!
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
I can't wait to see how this plays out! ^_^

To be honest, I was pretty sure this was gonna be an action rather than a stealth game at all. This news intrigues even more to the game now, can't wait to get my hands on it!
 

Ironic Pirate

New member
May 21, 2009
5,545
0
0
This is the kind of stealth I like, none of that Splinter cell stuff.

Like a predator stalking prey, hell yes!
 

WanderingFool

New member
Apr 9, 2009
3,991
0
0
As long as I can use the battlecry, "FRUIT SALAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!" Ill try it.

The slicing action is somewhat distrubing to me though, cause I saw the trailer where one guy had been cut to little chunks...
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
16,924
885
118
I'm sorry Mr. Matsuyama, but Raiden is and always will be a whiny brat.

He was the whiny brick wall in MGS 2 and the whiny anchor in MGS 4. Worst yet, everytime Snake talked to him, Snake turned into a whiny father figure.