Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
It doesn't help that Metal Gear has a history of treated female characters less than ideally, such as them showing off skin in situations where it really didn't make sense. Granted Meryl was a pretty good character, but with the presence of Quiet I don't think Kojima has the most healthy attitude towards women.
Awfully convenient for you to leave out how males are sexualized to the same extent as women in the MGS series. And the fact of how scarce the information on Quiet is. As for the rest of your post on how lazily Skullface was handled, I agree.
Hm, I suppose when I think about it vamp did have his shirt open a lot, and we did get a rather good look at snake's lovely buttocks. Still, Quiet is leaving a bad taste in my mouth from the impression that we've got. She goes a wee bit too far.
That's just what it is. An impression. Don't play Mass Effect 2, then. You'll hate Jack :p
Yeah, except Jack actually had a personality that was interesting. She wasn't, as Yahtzee so eloquently put it "A woman who wears bikini tops and never speaks"

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
It doesn't help that Metal Gear has a history of treated female characters less than ideally, such as them showing off skin in situations where it really didn't make sense. Granted Meryl was a pretty good character, but with the presence of Quiet I don't think Kojima has the most healthy attitude towards women.
Awfully convenient for you to leave out how males are sexualized to the same extent as women in the MGS series. And the fact of how scarce the information on Quiet is. As for the rest of your post on how lazily Skullface was handled, I agree.
Hm, I suppose when I think about it vamp did have his shirt open a lot, and we did get a rather good look at snake's lovely buttocks. Still, Quiet is leaving a bad taste in my mouth from the impression that we've got. She goes a wee bit too far.
That's just what it is. An impression. Don't play Mass Effect 2, then. You'll hate Jack :p
Yeah, except Jack actually had a personality that was interesting. She wasn't, as Yahtzee so eloquently put it "A woman who wears bikini tops and never speaks"
At least wait until the game's come out to judge a character. Fallout New Vegas showed us that mute characters can work in video-games, so just because a woman happens to be mute doesn't mean there's some sexist conspiracy perpetuated by Kojima Productions. Kojima's even gone to say that people judging Quiet now will feel bad for it when the game comes out.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
So... a character can only express him/herself adequetely through verbal communication? We had Christine Royce from New Vegas to prove that wrong. Heck, if "actions speak louder than words" we have Samus and Link.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ToastiestZombie said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
At least wait until the game's come out to judge a character. Fallout New Vegas showed us that mute characters can work in video-games, so just because a woman happens to be mute doesn't mean there's some sexist conspiracy perpetuated by Kojima Productions. Kojima's even gone to say that people judging Quiet now will feel bad for it when the game comes out.
No she isn't. She's sexist when she's mute, wearing a stupid outfit, and was flat out stated by the developer to have been designed to be erotic.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
So... a character can only express him/herself adequetely through verbal communication? We had Christine Royce from New Vegas to prove that wrong. Heck, if "actions speak louder than words" we have Samus and Link.
No. I'm just saying that when it's slapped onto a scantily clad character it has unfortunate implications. "Women should be seen and not heard" and all that jazz.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
No. I'm just saying that when it's slapped onto a scantily clad character it has unfortunate implications. "Women should be seen and not heard" and all that jazz.
And yet, we lack the proper context to label anything as an unfortunate implication. Then again, your type of reaction to Quiet is apparently the exact thing Kojima wanted, since "prejudice" is the name of the game in Phantom pain.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
And yet, we lack the proper context to label anything as an unfortunate implication. Then again, your type of reaction to Quiet is apparently the exact thing Kojima wanted, since "prejudice" is the name of the game in Phantom pain.
If he wanted my kind of reaction than I don't really know why people are getting on my rear for having the reaction the developer wanted me to have. And really Kojima dug this hole for himself. He had a good chance to leave an impression for Quiet, and what did he say about her? No voice, scantily clad, designed to be erotic. Nothing about her personality. What am I SUPPOSED to think?

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
If he wanted my kind of reaction than I don't really know why people are getting on my rear for having the reaction the developer wanted me to have. And really Kojima dug this hole for himself. He had a good chance to leave an impression for Quiet, and what did he say about her? No voice, scantily clad, designed to be erotic. Nothing about her personality. What am I SUPPOSED to think?
He also said that there's a little story behind her being scantily clad and that "you will feel ashamed" for thinking that way about her or something along those lines. I don't think I should really make a case for a character in a game that isn't even out yet. Only that one character design in said unreleased game doesn't quite spell Kojima as having a history of treating female characters "less than ideally". We're talking about a history that includes The Boss as well.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
erttheking said:

He also said that there's a little story behind her being scantily clad and that "you will feel ashamed" for thinking that way about her or something along those lines. I don't think I should really make a case for a character in a game that isn't even out yet. Only that one character design in said unreleased game doesn't quite spell Kojima as having a history of treating female characters "less than ideally". We're talking about a history that includes The Boss as well.

Ok, NOW we're getting somewhere interesting. Now I'm starting to think that there's some good ideas behind her.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
erttheking said:
Well, I guess there'll be some in-game justification like this chameleon camouflage skin thingy or some story reason like it's the reaction to a trauma or whatever and that'll make it all okay... as many will certainly argue then.

I have the feeling that I'll have heard it all before though, and it's not like you couldn't make some lazy story justification for just about anything. Yes, the story of my action adventure starring a female special agent could totally start with said agents being surprised by the bad guys while showering and consequently having to run naked through the jungle for the next ten hours. Oh, and let's add some rape and torture, while being naked of course, to that. I mean yea in theory that could all totally happen in the real world, but that wouldn't change anything about the STORY I'm telling being exploitative to the max, and pandering to some questionable fetishes on top.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
CloudAtlas said:
Yes, the story of my action adventure starring a female special agent could totally start with said agents being surprised by the bad guys while showering and consequently having to run naked through the jungle for the next ten hours. Oh, and let's add some rape and torture, while being naked of course, to that. I mean yea in theory that could all totally happen in the real world, but that wouldn't change anything about the STORY I'm telling being exploitative to the max, and pandering to some questionable fetishes on top.
It's funny you mention that, because in MGS 2, Raiden is tortured and then forced to run around Arsenal Gear in his birthday suit because they took his clothes when they captured him.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Hosker said:
EternallyBored said:
Hosker said:
The Crispy Tiger said:
Hosker said:
It's an adult game; they can put whatever they want in it. Why is it only video games that people get so high-rate about? Nobody would care if it was in a book, and probably not for films.

Don't give me that "Oh, why do video games get picked on all the time?!?!". You know what, yes sir, you are right, Video games are not fairly judged like other mediums and should be. HOWEVER, just because something is in it's infancy doesn't make it prone to criticism. AND FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME, I'M NOT OFFENDED BY THE RAPE SCENE. I said it was badly placed and shittly designed, which can happen any medium depending on the specific situation.
Okay, let's say it was indeed badly placed and designed. So what? It wouldn't be the first time something bad made its way into a videogame. Why is this worth making a thread about in particular?
For the same reason anyone makes threads about mechanics and elements they dislike. The same reason we see people complaining about Vigors in Bioshock: infinite, and complaining about escort mechanics in Resident Evil, or about tailing missions in Assassin's Creed, or to complain about Free to play games and their mechanics.

This is a game forum, so talking about elements and mechanics we don't like in games, and why we don't like them, is pretty much exactly what this forum is for. People create threads like this to see who agrees with them, and to see the reasons why someone may disagree with them.

It's the same as when I create a thread about hating escort missions in games. I want people to commiserate and agree with my opinion, whilst also seeing the reasons that other may disagree with me and why they think escort missions are perfectly fine, or even great. Ideally, by the end of the thread, I'll have had an interesting conversation with those who agree with me, and a civil (and entertaining), even if perhaps futile, debate with those who disagree with my opinion or assertations.
You're right, but in this case what is being discussed, at length, is a single 5-10 minute audio log. If it was something that had bearing on the game (like its short length) I could understand, but I cannot understand people getting so up-in-arms over something so small. What I want to know is why rape, which is rarely controversial in literature and film, is so controversial in games. This is not the first time it's garnered controversy.
I hate to break it to you, but rape has been very controversial in films, and studios have demanded cutting or editing rape scenes from directors in the past. The movie ratings board also used to come down hard on rape, and it's only within the last 20 years or so that rape has been able to more openly exist within movie narratives and used to tell a story, it used to be a subject that was either avoided or only existed within indie arthouse films, now it is a subject that mainstream Hollywood is at least attempting to tackle. Even then, rape is still treated much more delicately and seriously than murder and violence by Hollywood, and critics and film goers will still start shitstorms if they view a movie as disrespecting the subject matter.

Video games, being much younger, are actually mirroring the history of movies in a way, with the audience, developers, and publishers arguing about rapes portrayal within the medium and when it is or is not used effectively. Video games likely have a while to go before rape finds a confortable place within video game narratives, and while I'm not exactly up in arms over the Ground Zeroes portrayal of the subject, I don't think Kojima has the tonal consistency to pull scenes like this off without at least a little controversy.

As for the size of the subject, you do realize you are talking about the same hobby that is still flipping out over Mass Effect 3's 5 minute ending, criticizes the lack of a jump button in games that have nothing to jump on, starts hundred page threads when Blizzard adjusts the build time on a Starcraft unit by tenths of a second, and flipped their shit when Call of Duty patched a single gun to reload less than a second slower.

People who post about subjects on the internet tend to be the most dedicated and fanatical followers of whatever they are posting about, and the more dedicated portions of a community always go over their subject of devotion with a fine toothed comb. What you see as small and insignificant, others will see as major and worthy of discussion. I.E. my hatred of escort missions may seem petty and small to others, but to me, it can significantly harm my enjoyment of a particular game and series.

It's all a matter of perspective.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Kopikatsu said:
CloudAtlas said:
Yes, the story of my action adventure starring a female special agent could totally start with said agents being surprised by the bad guys while showering and consequently having to run naked through the jungle for the next ten hours. Oh, and let's add some rape and torture, while being naked of course, to that. I mean yea in theory that could all totally happen in the real world, but that wouldn't change anything about the STORY I'm telling being exploitative to the max, and pandering to some questionable fetishes on top.
It's funny you mention that, because in MGS 2, Raiden is tortured and then forced to run around Arsenal Gear in his birthday suit because they took his clothes when they captured him.
Now that you're saying that... I think I remember having raid that somewhere. What I said wasn't actually meant as a dig at MGS. I have never played any MGS game, but even its fans seem to largely agree that MGS have pretty ridiculous and inconsistent stories, and seems to have some problems with its female characters too. So why anyone would trust Kojima of all people to write a story that deals maturely and sensibly with rape and torture and in particular their intersection (perhaps the most difficult content imaginable) is beyond me. And Kojima himself seems to suffer from a considerable lack of self-awareness if he believes that he is able to advance the medium in this regard.
Anyway, judging from what little we know of MGS5, what with the gang rape, the vaginal bombs and the mute woman-who-totally-has-a-good-reason-for-being-half-naked-I-promise, it would seem advisable for people to not get their hopes up.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
EternallyBored said:
Hosker said:
EternallyBored said:
Hosker said:
The Crispy Tiger said:
Hosker said:
It's an adult game; they can put whatever they want in it. Why is it only video games that people get so high-rate about? Nobody would care if it was in a book, and probably not for films.

Don't give me that "Oh, why do video games get picked on all the time?!?!". You know what, yes sir, you are right, Video games are not fairly judged like other mediums and should be. HOWEVER, just because something is in it's infancy doesn't make it prone to criticism. AND FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME, I'M NOT OFFENDED BY THE RAPE SCENE. I said it was badly placed and shittly designed, which can happen any medium depending on the specific situation.
Okay, let's say it was indeed badly placed and designed. So what? It wouldn't be the first time something bad made its way into a videogame. Why is this worth making a thread about in particular?
For the same reason anyone makes threads about mechanics and elements they dislike. The same reason we see people complaining about Vigors in Bioshock: infinite, and complaining about escort mechanics in Resident Evil, or about tailing missions in Assassin's Creed, or to complain about Free to play games and their mechanics.

This is a game forum, so talking about elements and mechanics we don't like in games, and why we don't like them, is pretty much exactly what this forum is for. People create threads like this to see who agrees with them, and to see the reasons why someone may disagree with them.

It's the same as when I create a thread about hating escort missions in games. I want people to commiserate and agree with my opinion, whilst also seeing the reasons that other may disagree with me and why they think escort missions are perfectly fine, or even great. Ideally, by the end of the thread, I'll have had an interesting conversation with those who agree with me, and a civil (and entertaining), even if perhaps futile, debate with those who disagree with my opinion or assertations.
You're right, but in this case what is being discussed, at length, is a single 5-10 minute audio log. If it was something that had bearing on the game (like its short length) I could understand, but I cannot understand people getting so up-in-arms over something so small. What I want to know is why rape, which is rarely controversial in literature and film, is so controversial in games. This is not the first time it's garnered controversy.
I hate to break it to you, but rape has been very controversial in films, and studios have demanded cutting or editing rape scenes from directors in the past. The movie ratings board also used to come down hard on rape, and it's only within the last 20 years or so that rape has been able to more openly exist within movie narratives and used to tell a story, it used to be a subject that was either avoided or only existed within indie arthouse films, now it is a subject that mainstream Hollywood is at least attempting to tackle. Even then, rape is still treated much more delicately and seriously than murder and violence by Hollywood, and critics and film goers will still start shitstorms if they view a movie as disrespecting the subject matter.

Video games, being much younger, are actually mirroring the history of movies in a way, with the audience, developers, and publishers arguing about rapes portrayal within the medium and when it is or is not used effectively. Video games likely have a while to go before rape finds a confortable place within video game narratives, and while I'm not exactly up in arms over the Ground Zeroes portrayal of the subject, I don't think Kojima has the tonal consistency to pull scenes like this off without at least a little controversy.

As for the size of the subject, you do realize you are talking about the same hobby that is still flipping out over Mass Effect 3's 5 minute ending, criticizes the lack of a jump button in games that have nothing to jump on, starts hundred page threads when Blizzard adjusts the build time on a Starcraft unit by tenths of a second, and flipped their shit when Call of Duty patched a single gun to reload less than a second slower.

People who post about subjects on the internet tend to be the most dedicated and fanatical followers of whatever they are posting about, and the more dedicated portions of a community always go over their subject of devotion with a fine toothed comb. What you see as small and insignificant, others will see as major and worthy of discussion. I.E. my hatred of escort missions may seem petty and small to others, but to me, it can significantly harm my enjoyment of a particular game and series.

It's all a matter of perspective.
While film does gain controversy, it is fewer and far between, and it is usually for much more extreme examples (A Serbian Film comes to mind), but people are far less lenient with games. What's the difference between the two that constitutes this? I had a couple of ideas for explanation but none seemed adequate. Perhaps it is going through the same 'growing pains' as film did (if what you say is true), but then I find myself asking: why must it? Narrative-wise games are little different from films for the most part, the story mostly progressing through cutscenes, or out of the player's control. The rape controversy that was in film might also be explained by the time in which they were becoming popular.

When I say 'small', I mean having little effect on the game, not necessarily in terms of time. But, yes, there is a lot of controversy about other subjects as well; gamers can be a contentious people. And this is especially so in recent years.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
The Crispy Tiger said:
gargantual said:
Dude it's a fucking easter egg. Dedicated players find those things. just like the Tanker mission of MGS2, or the storage Section from MGS3 with multiple entry points. Its not the main game and when Phantom Pain comes maybe we'll understand more. He knew guys like you were going to find it considering the game's length.

This is the same man that had Psycho Mantis reading your Save files, and had you playing as Raiden, naked covering his schlong as a subtle message to fanboyism.

Kojima's gonna do what he's gonna do. I'm sure he's aware of real world problems with rape, that's his choice man.
WHO THE FUCK PUTS A RAPE SCENE AS AN EASTER EGG?!?!

*Five Deep Breaths Later*

Those are not comparable. Those are all fun. Rape of a woman and a child are not fun. Nor should it be done as an easter egg. Not to mention, I'm not offended by the material written. I'm offended by where it was placed. It should've been done in the actual campaign or scrapped.
This is a semantical argument. "easter egg" and "side content" are functionally the same thing but since easter egg implies reward your trying to read too much into it here. You are rewarded with extra bits of story that flesh out the plot. Your not "lol Im so glad shes raped!" rewarded.

The Crispy Tiger

Dec 11, 2013
Guy from the 80 said:
This is funny. People playing ultra violent games and then suddenly gets upset over the introduction of (non graphic) rape?
1) Something can still be disturbing even if you can't see it. Matter a fact it's more disturbing because you're using you imagination.

2) I can and have (just not in these specific forums) complained about meaningless violence in video games. Why??? Because I need a reason to shoot someone. Death isn't fun. It's not. Avoiding death is fun. But being the bringer of death isn't fun without context, in my opinion. The least you could do is KNOW my opinion on violence before you kick me on the hypocrisy train.

3) I'M NOT MAD AT THE RAPE SCENE. FOR FUCK SAKES. I THOUGHT IT'S PLACEMENT WAS SHIT, AND EVEN THAT I SAID WAS WRONG ON THE SAME FUCKING PAGE YOU POSTED THIS ON.

That's all.

The Crispy Tiger

Dec 11, 2013
verdant monkai said:
The Crispy Tiger said:
verdant monkai said:
Rape is in film and tv.

There for it should be allowed in video games .

end of story.
Yeah, because OF COURSE THAT'S WHAT I SAID.
THANK YOU FOR NOTICING ME SENPAI!

I'm gonna be honest mate this wasn't directed at you, I didn't even finish reading your post. I shouldn't really have posted but its just my opinion concerning anything to do with rape and games.
That's fine my mate. Just needed to clear the air with a joke.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Coming back to this, I've been thinking about it and....
This is war. Things get really bad and really dark in most Metal Gear games at some point, and this is probably the lowest it's gotten, and it'll probably get lower with Phantom Pain.
But in war, horrible things happen. And would you rather they just have an audio log for you to find, or a cutscene showing the whole thing? :/

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Enlightening...
Was that all the fuzz about? 5 minutes of static noise and 5 minutes of mind-boggling dialog.
And I see Kojima is moving from long boring cut-scenes, to long boring audio tapes...