Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Review - Snake Oil

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I don't really mind the price, even if it is stupidly high. After playing the excellent Metal Gear Rising:Revengeance, and getting interested in the universe, I would like to play a new MGS. If and when its out on PC that is.

Dunwich

Mar 18, 2014
bullet time and marking enemies? sounds like black marks to me, i didnt see it mentioned anywhere, but can those be turned off or are forced off at higher difficulties?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I can't remember it too well, but I don't believe the MGS2 demo was the entire Tanker level. I think some stuff got locked away. The ending definintely did.

But still, yeah this is a shitty tactic from Konami. It's the only property they have left that's worth a damn, and they know MGS fans can't wait for new content. So is this "game" just that military base and nothing else?

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
So I figure I'll just Red Box this over the weekend and just get the Phantom Pain, preferably the special edition which will include GZ and any other extras.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
So Ground Zeroes WON'T be included in The Phantom Pain as a prologue chapter or something like that? And this game doesn't tell much of the story? I am disappoint.

Still won't stop me from getting MGS V.
Dunwich said:
bullet time and marking enemies? sounds like black marks to me, i didnt see it mentioned anywhere, but can those be turned off or are forced off at higher difficulties?
To me those sound kind of nifty. I wonder if MGS V borrows anything from the Assassin's Creed series. I know both dev teams are fans of each other's work.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Wow konami is charging 30 bucks for a demo, I admire their balls even if I really hope nobody buys it.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
That price point looks really like they have completely forgotten that lower price points exist and this sounds like it simply isn't worth $30.

Konami, why are you doing this? If you'd release it for free, $5 or $10 people would probably enjoy this a lot. But instead, all this demo is giving you is a scolding from all sides. Oh wait. It is Konami...

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Welcome to the future of AAA gaming: full games chopped up and sold to us piecemeal for the price of a whole game.

Times like this I actually hope that the industry crashes if it means putting a stop to this kind of shit.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I'm looking forward to the subtitle of Jim's review of Phantom Pain.

"Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain - It Makes My Snake Solid"

As for this... I have no intention to buy it. There are games way cheaper and way more full of content than this. I can wait.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
So I guess I'm not going to miss much then? Guess I'll just wait for MGS5 then. Thanks Jim!

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
I'm still looking forward to it this Friday. The £23 I'm paying doesn't really bother me for the 10 or so hours I'm likely to get out of it. By all accounts it sounds brilliant regardless of whether the content represents value for money.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I find it interesting that TB just did a vlog that included the topic of whether the price should affect the score when prices go down over time while content stays the same. It means the score isn't future proofed so when the price drops, the score is no longer applicable. That said, deciding on a purchase entirely based on the final score without reading the review wouldn't be a very intelligent thing to do.

Relevant part starts at 4:30

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Daemascus said:
I don't really mind the price, even if it is stupidly high. After playing the excellent Metal Gear Rising:Revengeance, and getting interested in the universe, I would like to play a new MGS. If and when its out on PC that is.
You should check out the Legacy Collection on the PS3, or at least the HD collection (Legacy has the first Metal Gear, as well as the fourth, which makes it a better deal). Aside from the first one, they all hold up pretty well to modern games, and still look great. I only played them last year and I was hooked.
Well, if you don't buy it used that is. I found that out the hard way. For some reason MGS1 is only available through an online voucher, and used copies don't have it.

You may be asking, "why didn't you buy it new?". You see, I tried, but my Gamestop was out of new copies, so the guy offered me a used copy at a few dollars less. Saying aloud, "Well, as long as everything is still on there", the guy hands me the used copy, I walk out the door happy, and get home to find out there is no MGS1 to be found. I would have loved to go back out there to make a deal about it, but my ride decided it wasn't that big of a deal, so my collection was ruined.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I don't normally want games to fail horribly but I'll make an exception in this case. If this sells well, other devs might start charging money for their demos too. Wouldn't be surprised if devs started selling their tutorials... I REALLY hope this bombs because the charging price is just absurd.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
It's like they're selling DLC before the game actually comes out.
Where have you been? They've been doing this for a while. Sure not as overtly, but at least with this, the DLC is playable I guess.
I saw this coming when they started accepting preorders for season passes for games before they launch. Gamers are too willing to throw down money before we know what we got. Between that, gamers buying crap games so they can beta test big name games; or just paying to beta-test either intentionally (like with anything on greenlight) or unintentionally (like with anything by Bethesda). Gamers have such a reputation as reckless consumers that I was actually shocked when MS announced they were dialing down their original schemes for the xbone.

It would've been one thing if they made this a part of a season pass you could pre order. That would've been sleazy enough, but to sell a demo for half the cost of an actual game, it just reeks of desperation. If they're trying this hard to get people's money before launch, the game must be pretty awful or they're teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. Is MG the only profitable series Konami has anymore?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Review - Snake Oil

It really is a thirty dollar demo.

Read Full Article
I could have sworn I said this earlier on here... oh well I'm not getting it because no consoles right now. Christ Konami, the hell are you doing now?