Metal Gear Solid V has the weakest narrative in the series[Spoilers for the whole series]

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Perhaps this is a consequence of the game having fewer amount of cutscenes than previous games? Kojima in early interviews stated that this game will have less amount of cutscenes compared to MGS 4. So appearently he was right and this Metal Gear so far is the most gameplay focused of the series.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
The fact that the males wear the same revealing outfit as the females doesn't matter? Because it actually matters quite a bit.
He could have done without having her pose in provocative poses though.

Such as this one; http://imgur.com/72h96uP

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'm also glad Kojima refuses to pander to politically correct white knights that plague the internet. Stephanie Joosten who plays Quiet even loves the game and praises Kojima for his creativity in a Dutch interview I've seen with her..so yeah. :p

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
stroopwafel said:
I'm also glad Kojima refuses to pander to politically correct white knights that plague the internet. Stephanie Joosten who plays Quiet even loves the game and praises Kojima for his creativity in a Dutch interview I've seen with her..so yeah. :p
How is criticizing Kojima for lying about having legitimate meta-narrative reasons for putting a sniper in a braindead wankfodder outfit, claiming that it was some kind of deconstruction of the trope and that we would "feel ashamed of ourselves" for ogling her - when it turned out to just be pseudo-rationalized braindead wankfodder all along - being a "politically correct white knight"?

Like Jim says, sexy outfits for the sake of having sexy outfits is fine. But don't pretend they're anything other than what they are. I was genuinely intrigued by what Kojima was going to do with Quiet because of his statements, and the fact that he's had awesome female characters in the past. This is a huge letdown, and to pretend this is entirely about objecting to sexy costumes is to deliberately misinterpret people's complaints in order to write them off in the most intellectually lazy way possible.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
and I have to say, this Metal Gear has an awful narrative in comparison to other Metal Gear games.
Let's be frank:
Metal Gear has an awful narrative...
They all have awful narratives. They're often muddled, nonsensical, and rife with one-dimensional character and terrible dialog.

THAT SAID, there's a lot to love. The absurdity, the obsessive attention to detail, and the overall loony creativity and eccentricity that ooze from each game are what make the series so great.

As for MGS5, I dunno. Overall it feels every bit a Metal Gear game as any of the others. Some parts feel grandiose and detailed, as one would expect from Kojima, while others feel...phoned in.

I'm not sure I'd argue that it's the pinnacle of the series, but it's certainly a fitting end to Kojima's version of it.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
To be honest, most Fans of MGS I know don't praise the story for being deep, or meaningful in any way. They love it because it's absolutely Bonkers. And I do too. It's just hillarious having characters stay absolutely straight-faced even when you're abducting donkeys with magical kidnap-baloons.

About Quiet. She's Fanservice. Very, very obvious Fanservice. And Kojima could've just said so. I doubt any of the Fans would've minded. I mean, stuff like this is just part of the series now. I mean we had Vamp and his... D*ng-Knife. Raiden doing naked Cartwheels in MGS2. The 4 Beauty's from MGS 4, and jiggle physics all around. There's nothing wrong with that, we know you Kojima. Just be straight about it.

Also, I...liked the character. And no, not just because the way she dresses. I actually honestly feel shes badass.

I even modded her back in after she left, because she was my favorite buddy right next to D-Dog. Having Sniper Support can really help on many of the missions. And I was really sad that they just removed her COMPLETELY. I'm still sorta hoping for some DLC to get her back.

The only Thing I really had a problem with until now was at the end of Chapter 1:

The forced Bossfight against the Skulls is just absolute Tripe. It's Deus Ex all over again.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Ariseishirou said:
anthony87 said:
Ariseishirou said:
Of course, Jim says it better than I could:
Ariseishirou said:
Sorry, Jim's right about this one.
Ariseishirou said:
Like Jim says
Just curious, but what do you think?
That's cute, but I said what I think in every other part of my posts. Care to respond to what I think, or would you just like to be pithy? ;p
I'm fine with pithy ^_^

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Ariseishirou said:
How is criticizing Kojima for lying about having legitimate meta-narrative reasons for putting a sniper in a braindead wankfodder outfit, claiming that it was some kind of deconstruction of the trope and that we would "feel ashamed of ourselves" for ogling her - when it turned out to just be pseudo-rationalized braindead wankfodder all along - being a "politically correct white knight"?

You're talking about a series that stars bisexual vamprires made immortal trough nanomachines, Gray Fox and Raiden brought back to life as emo cyborg ninjas(b/c we needed to revive some dead and old characters), Big Boss brought back to life stitched together from parts of other people(b/c lol you thought the game was over right?), a gunslinger from a spaghetti western that pretends to be the villain from a previous game(including the mullet) to fool a sentient AI that rules the world through a ludicrous 'war economy' etc. etc.

And you think the explanation that a chick wears a skimpy bikini because of well photosynthesis is somehow far-fetched in a fucking Metal Gear game? Really? *facepalm*

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
stroopwafel said:
Ariseishirou said:

You're talking about a series that stars bisexual vamprires made immortal trough nanomachines, Gray Fox and Raiden brought back to life as emo cyborg ninjas(b/c we needed to revive some dead and old characters), Big Boss brought back to life stitched together from parts of other people(b/c lol you thought the game was over right?), a gunslinger from a spaghetti western that pretends to be the villain from a previous game(including the mullet) to fool a sentient AI that rules the world through a ludicrous 'war economy' etc. etc.

And you think the explanation that a chick wears a skimpy bikini because of well photosynthesis is somehow far-fetched in a fucking Metal Gear game? Really? *facepalm*
Yes, the crux of my objections to the narrative rationalizations for Quiet's outfit is that they are "far-fetched".

Your literacy is exceptional and you are a credit to the educational system from which you matriculated.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
made the game easier to get into for someone who has frankly been ignoring the series up until this game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
stroopwafel said:
When that same series established a character that also uses photosynthesis and is fully clothed? That's what we call one doozy of a double standard. I mean what, is this series completely immune from criticism because it's Metal Gear?

OT: I haven't finished it yet, and I probably never will. Maybe it's the "open-world" setting, maybe it was the internal hassle at Konami, but this game severely lacks a story focus. MGS might just be best suited as a linear game to tell its story and keep the energy going. It needs that story locomotive roaring on track. In MGSV it feels like a locomotive lying on its side and occasionally spinning its wheels and blowing its whistle.

al4674

May 27, 2011
It's not just the narrative - it's also the structure of the narrative. The reason MGS 1 was so good was because the story was paced and structured very well - everything was built up to the final climax, when you fight Metal Gear and Liquid Snake. There was no kind of build-up in MGSV. As far as I knew, I was just completing missions that were vaguely related with Cipher and before I know it, Skull Face is dead and suddenly the game lacks direction.

Skull Face and Sahelantropus are both wasted potential precisely because they were such shallow characters - there was no build-up. So Skull Face's death was too sudden. I felt like the story hadn't even properly started yet before the main plot was over. In this sense, it was very anti-climatic. I expect are more heavy handed emphasis on the story (in reasonable limits), but MGS V was the other extreme in regards to MGS4-s horribly long cutscenes.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
Vigormortis said:
and I have to say, this Metal Gear has an awful narrative in comparison to other Metal Gear games.
Let's be frank:
Metal Gear has an awful narrative...
They all have awful narratives. They're often muddled, nonsensical, and rife with one-dimensional character and terrible dialog.

THAT SAID, there's a lot to love. The absurdity, the obsessive attention to detail, and the overall loony creativity and eccentricity that ooze from each game are what make the series so great.

As for MGS5, I dunno. Overall it feels every bit a Metal Gear game as any of the others. Some parts feel grandiose and detailed, as one would expect from Kojima, while others feel...phoned in.

I'm not sure I'd argue that it's the pinnacle of the series, but it's certainly a fitting end to Kojima's version of it.
Whenever someone calls the plot of MGS muddled or nonsensical I get confused. Like, did you experience the ending of MGS2 and nothing else?

As long as you don't stop paying attention I don't see what so many people have trouble keeping up with.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
When that same series established a character that also uses photosynthesis and is fully clothed?
I imagine that'd be because the established character didn't have their internal organs burned out so they can use their lungs and.....well, everything else really rather than relying purely on photosynthesis.

(Just read that sentence out loud back to myself and couldn't help but think "What the actual fuck have I been playing?)

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
anthony87 said:
Casual Shinji said:
When that same series established a character that also uses photosynthesis and is fully clothed?
I imagine that'd be because the established character didn't have their internal organs burned out so they can use their lungs and.....well, everything else really rather than relying purely on photosynthesis.

(Just read that sentence out loud back to myself and couldn't help but think "What the actual fuck have I been playing?)
And why was this a thing? What did this even add to the drama or her character? See, I'm okay with weirdos, but for the love of God keep it simple. Remember Volgin? Just a guy with lightning powers, because fuck you, lightning's awesome. He didn't have some elaborate origin story where he was in a car and the car got struck by lightning, but the car had a special bio-electric battery made of child soldiers brains who now infect him with their lightning vengeance.

Just have Quiet be a weirdo who can use her skin as camo. Boom. Done. Simple explaination for simple fanservice. But no, we need to have parasytes in place of fucking nanomachines now.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
anthony87 said:
Casual Shinji said:

And why was this a thing? What did this even add to the drama or her character? See, I'm okay with weirdos, but for the love of God keep it simple. Remember Volgin? Just a guy with lightning powers, because fuck you, lightning's awesome. He didn't have some elaborate origin story where he was in a car and the car got struck by lightning, but the car had a special bio-electric battery made of child soldiers brains who now infect him with their lightning vengeance.

Just have Quiet be a weirdo who can use her skin as camo. Boom. Done. Simple explaination for simple fanservice. But no, we need to have parasytes in place of fucking nanomachines now.
I agree with you 100% and miss the times when Metal Gear was all "Here's a vampire running up walls just because" but in the case of Quiet, people were complaining as soon as she was revealed and we had next to no information on her. Seems like it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with regards to any explanations about her appearance.

Having said that I think it's nonsense that Kojima felt he had to try justify the character to people. I would've applauded him if he'd just gone "She looks like that because I fucking want her to, now piss off". Only maybe he'd word it a bit better.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
anthony87 said:
I agree with you 100% and miss the times when Metal Gear was all "Here's a vampire running up walls just because" but in the case of Quiet, people were complaining as soon as she was revealed and we had next to no information on her. Seems like it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with regards to any explanations about her appearance.

Having said that I think it's nonsense that Kojima felt he had to try justify the character to people. I would've applauded him if he'd just gone "She looks like that because I fucking want her to, now piss off". Only maybe he'd word it a bit better.
The first time I saw her design I just rolled my eyes at it and hoped Kojima could steer it into a proper direction. It wasn't until I played the game and found out the explaination behind it and how she was utilized that I just got super annoyed.