Metal Gear Solid - Why do people hate Raiden?

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
But Snake was in MGS2, throughout the whole game. You didn't play as him much because he didn't have much to do, and what Raiden was doing was far more interesting.

And if controlling Snake on-screen is the sole reason others buy and play MGS, why hasn't anyone had a go at MGS3? You don't play as Snake and you don't see him whatsoever.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
I just started playing MGS2 again. I think it's not so much Raiden himself, but more so what he's up against. Come on, who can match Solid Snake? Maybe it would be okay if Snake wasn't around anymore. But we got to play as him for a while, and he's even present in Raiden's mission. Having the two side-by-side doesn't do Raiden any favours. And he just doesn't seem to be a suiting protagonist. I find him very irritating - especially in his discussions with Rose. And in his first interaction with Pliskin, he's all to eager to answer his questions, and even gives him his gun back. It doesn't seem very prudent for someone on a mission of that importance.

I think what it comes down to is that he's not a bad character - he's just no Solid Snake.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
I thought he was a sulky blonde pussy with an annoying girlfriend. Apparently he got a lot more badass in MGS4 but I've not played that.
Yeah, he's a lot less of a little puss if MGS4, but all his whiney-gayness was replaced by emoness, so it's not much of an improvement.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Let me see. He's a pussy, he's like an anime character and he looks completely out of place in MGS2. His story sucks and nobody cared for it. He's not as awesome as Snake. He's not Snake. He was better in MGS4, but his story still sucked and he was still an emotional wreck. That's why I'm still on the fence about MGS Rising. I don't like that dude.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Mostly it's because they pulled a fast one on us gamers and gave us Raiden(who is not Snake) instead of Snake in MGS2 after making it look like we'd play as Snake. Pissed me off because, while I like Raiden, he is no Snake. He did get cooler in MGS4(Gray Fox is still more awesome) but it did seem like they were just trying to play off Gray Fox.

Snake and Big Boss were always more entertaining to play as. And David Hayter's sultry(okay raspy) tones are music to my ears.

edit: And Rose sucked.

edit 2: I gotta track down MGS2 and give it another go.

Digital_Hero

Jan 27, 2010
Moromillas said:
But Snake was in MGS2, throughout the whole game. You didn't play as him much because he didn't have much to do, and what Raiden was doing was far more interesting.

And if controlling Snake on-screen is the sole reason others buy and play MGS, why hasn't anyone had a go at MGS3? You don't play as Snake and you don't see him whatsoever.
I found the problem less that "We play as raiden" and more that Konami went out of their way to deliberately hide from the player that we would play as raiden. The trailers make no mention or sight of him, nor the opening cinematic of the game. He's mentioned 3 times in the whole manual and if you aren't looking you'll miss it.

At least in MGS3 they were more or less straight up about not playing as solid snake.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
captaincabbage said:
Sapient Pearwood said:
I thought he was a sulky blonde pussy with an annoying girlfriend. Apparently he got a lot more badass in MGS4 but I've not played that.
Yeah, he's a lot less of a little puss if MGS4, but all his whiney-gayness was replaced by emoness, so it's not much of an improvement.
I can forgive the emoness for what he does later in the game.
Moromillas said:

Snake and Big Boss are similar characters in appearance, attitude, back story, and have the same voice actor.

Seabear

May 22, 2011
I kinda liked playing as Raiden, I got what Kojima was doing, preserving Snake's badassery without my clumsy fingers controlling him...

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
Actually I see Raiden more as a parody of Yourself, the player who thinks he can be as good as Snake by just playing video games (hence the whole simulation thing).

But its more likely they all hate Raiden because of the bait and switch thing... its not MGS if its not Snake kinda thing.

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
Michael Brunson said:
I will hand it to Kojima though. He turned Raiden in to a Mega-leet bad ass killing machine in MGS 4
This.

In MGS4 Raiden was all bro'd out.

Breakdancing with a sword between his toes an $hit, just cutting brehs up as if they were swiss cheese.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
MGS2: Whiney girly dude.

MGS4: Slightly more badass, but a sulky emo kid. Not much better.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Fans of the series couldn't accept that Raiden is a representation of how Kojima sees them, a bunch of whiny fools who hero worship Solid Snake and clamour to see him do some badass something or other.

Raiden is easily one of the most interesting characters in Metal Gear Solid 2. Far more interesting than Snake was, at the very least.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
This. I hated Raiden in MGS2, but suddenly Kojima turned him into a serious badass in MGS4

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
I liked him a lot and don't get the hate for him. But MGS2 was the first game in the series that I played so I had no bias against him.

How the hell do I type this.

arcstone

Dec 1, 2007
I must say I really liked how they actually made fun of him in mgs3 with the raikov character and all the unlockable bonus videos.

Where he amongst other things, got run over by the shagohod and butt raped by volgin.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Simply put: He's not Snake.

They introduce Snake, a militant badass, in the first game. The sequel introduces Raiden, a confused, whiny, and lacking in the beard department

When they put up one to the other, there's no contest. If Raiden was introduced first, there may have been more love.

P.S. The reason I hate MGS2 is because of Rose. I can never skip her dialogue fast enough.

ThongBonerstorm

Feb 22, 2010
Solid Snake is the single greatest hero of all time, ever. so going from that to the whiny kid that is Raiden it hard to take. I mean he would fit into any JRPG because thats what most of the characters are, but not along side the epicness of Solid Snake.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
What part of that character is dynamic? From what I remember he's an angsty, effeminate, whiny little *****, and stays that way throughout the game. No growth, just bitching and sulking.