Metal Gear Solid - Why do people hate Raiden?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Ever since Metal Gear Solid 2 came out I've heard nothing but bashing the character Raiden. I actually like this character. He is very dynamic and interesting and I can't wait for Metal Gear Solid Rising. I encountered a lot of people who say they dislike MGS2 simply because of him. What do so many people seem to hate this character?

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
I thought he was a sulky blonde pussy with an annoying girlfriend. Apparently he got a lot more badass in MGS4 but I've not played that.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
He just seems like a whiny little brat to me. Haven't played MGS2 in probably eight years, but that's my memory of him.

I mean... they made him a cyborg ninja and he still wasn't cool.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
In Metal Gear Solid 2 Raiden is a chump: green and inexperienced. Also after a long wait from the first Metal Gear Solid, fans were hoping to play as Solid Snake. I was disappointed that I only got to play as Snake for about a sixth of the game.

I will hand it to Kojima though. He turned Raiden in to a Mega-leet bad ass killing machine in MGS 4

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
He wasn't snake and mgs2 was the worst game of them all. They make him a ninja in 4 but he still isn't very interesting. He never got the chance he may have deserved because we got teased with playing as Snake then bam Raiden making you hate him.

UmJammerSully

May 29, 2011
I'm in the minority where I didn't mind him in MGS2. I definitely understand why people hate him in MGS2, but I'm not one of them and think he has some interesting qualities at least.

It's hard to deny that by MGS4 he became a certified badass though.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
In MGS2, I think most people agree that Raiden was a shitty character. A whiny, confused, easily manipulated rookie, with a really jarring appearance.

MGS2 was a pretty good game, it brought great advancements in the gameplay. But to be fair, the story had many problems. And they did not start and end with just Raiden. I've played through MGS2 many many times, and I still barely remember what the hell the game was even about. The Big Shell was being held by terrorists with a nuke, but it it turns out that something about the Big Shell being a recreation of Shadow Moses to train another soldier to replace Solid Snake which was the purpose of Raiden, but then it turns out the entire thing was an experiment by an AI to control global human social consciousness and the progression of human historyFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

The story in MGS2 was just overwhelmingly full of shit, and poor Raiden was not up to the task of tying the hackneyed disaster writeup by Kojima together.

Raiden returns in MGS4 as a battle-hardened cyborg ninja, as a character he was just a lot better this time around. It was disappointing that there wasn't much interaction with him, I was at least pleased that he did seem to have made a turn around.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Yeah, I'm looking forward to rising too.

And to be fair, as long as I get another slice of stealth action, I won't mind playing as radian in the HD collection.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I don't get it either. Raiden was a really interesting case of a character as he'd practically been raised from childhood as a soldier but he's still a greenhorn and on that he's easily manipulated. He flipped shit and returned in Metal Gear Solid 4 with a full on psychosis forged in betrayl, deciept and dishonesty.

I really felt for Raiden at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2, because I'd been with him all the way and I was the one that controlled the chap I felt that I'd been taken along for a ride right with him.

In short; he's not Solid Snake. That is the only reason I can think of; aesthetically Raiden's androgynous appearance is the polar opposite of Snake's Western character.

snakeakaossi

Mar 18, 2010
Because we MGS fans wanted to play as solid snake in the second game and MGS2 has a very dastardly trick to not let you play as Snake AT ALL. At the beginning of the game it asks for an 'action level', including the question if you played the previous game. If you say you didn't, the game skips the Snake part and gives you a game with only Raiden and Snake as a support character.

I think that Raiden wasn't a very bad character in MGS2, but having him, a previously unknown character, to replace Snake altogether doesn't give him a good start. Then he has an annoying girlfriend and his boss has the worst twist in VG history ever in MGS2. In the end the character might not be bad, but the way he was presented was as if a sledgehammer smashed constantly against your head with the MLP:FIM quote from Fluttershy; "YOU WILL LOVE ME!"

Needless to say, yes, I hate Raiden too. Mostly, because he clearly tries to appeal to Japanese cool kids, though. That is why he is slender, has blond hair and has no redeeming features whatsoever in MGS2, not even a poster in his room.

Gomi500

Feb 21, 2011
Michael Brunson said:
In Metal Gear Solid 2 Raiden is a chump: green and inexperienced. Also after a long wait from the first Metal Gear Solid, fans were hoping to play as Solid Snake. I was disappointed that I only got to play as Snake for about a sixth of the game.

I will hand it to Kojima though. He turned Raiden in to a Mega-leet bad ass killing machine in MGS 4

This anserw is 100% correct!

Locke_Cole

Apr 7, 2010
Because no one bought Metal Gear Solid 2 to play as Raiden...They wanted to play as Snake. I mean if they had changed the name of the series to Metal Gear Raiden then fine, I can understand why some people would be all for it but it's like making the next Sonic or Mario game with a different main character. It doesn't matter how cool you try to make that character, everyone will hate him/her and hate the game as a whole if they've played any of the games in the series that came before.

the spud

May 2, 2011
I don't know, I didn't hate him.

It may just be his effiminate design, but it probably has something to do with that level where he was doing naked cartwheels. That, and his girlfriend wouldn't shut up.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Don't tell anyone, but I liked him.

Snake was kind of a jerk in the end there where he used him to get onboard their airship or whatnot. His girlfriend was flipping out, I'm still not sure if it was her or the computer talking to him at the end, and he's just out there doing his thing. Then he reappers in MGS4, all pimped out, and who do they put him against? Vamp. Sad.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
What are you talking about? Everybody loves characters like Raiden and Nero.
Everybody lovessss it when they bring in new, young characters to replace the old, dull characters in video game francises. (seriously, old guys are such fags)
And they don't have little girl feelings, TEA TIME!, at all.
So siree, no faffing about with these newbies! (or their skirts)
I'm kidding.
Nobody likes it when video game companies introduce somebody new when the old guy we all came to know and love is right there! But we have to be the new blood instead.

Which is pretty much what everybody else said:
We had already established the Snake was a bamf before MGS2 and then we barely got to be him and we got handed this kid with 12yro feelings.

Oh well, they learned what NOT to do in the next game. Win Win

Dapz

Sep 2, 2009
It's pretty simple: when a character is forced on you in place of the much-loved original character who still has plenty of mileage and generally just no reason to replace, and you have no choice but to stick with him for the rest of the game, the chances are you'll have a very negative first impression which you'll stick with for a long time. Of course, him being a whiny little brat didn't help either...

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Because he wans't Snake and I had to play him in MGS2.

Liked him better in MSG4 though.

Digital_Hero

Jan 27, 2010
Simple, he isn't Snake. Practically the whole game is spent trying to turn him INTO Snake. After years of playing MGS1 and waiting for a sequel, we finally get one, and instead of the hero we were waiting years to play as, we get some white-haired annoyance >_<

....not to mention Raiden comes OUT OF NOWHERE. Then he whines. Then his support team is annoying as hell itself(rose is a ***** cough cough). But whatever, I felt I could rest easy knowing they wouldn't pull something stupid with him again.....

Then in MGS4 they tried turning him into GRAY FUCKING FOX. :mad:

In short, I dislike raiden because he was put into positions he should never have been in, in the first place. And that, boys and girls, is why I dislike raiden.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Because even though he looks badass in MGS4 the gameplay footage of MGS Rising looks like an HD version of Afro Samurai's gameplay. Carbon Copy pretty much. I didn't mind him much in MGS2 because Snake was always there to back him up, but I can't say I wouldn't have like playing as Snake better. MGS Rising has none of Hideo Kojima's approval nor insight which worries me, and the fact that the gameplay is a blatant rip off of a mediocre game doesn't help.