Metal is starting to leave my heart

zehydra

New member
Oct 25, 2009
5,033
0
0
For me it's the opposite. I used to hate punk and metal music, but now I definitely like some punk, and I really like a couple metal bands.
 

Firepowered

New member
Nov 10, 2009
43
0
0
I got into classical rock and punk rock two years ago, and have been a rock lover ever since.
I also like some melodic metal, but most of the new bands (00-10) just plain suck. Also dislike grunge. My favorite bands are rock and hair metal ones.
 

DVS Storm

New member
Jul 13, 2009
307
0
0
I first started to like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Guns 'N Roses. Then I found Iron Maiden and it still is my favorite band of all time. Skynyrd stuck too but I really don't listen to GNR anymore(except You Could Be Mine). After that I just started to blast metal all day long for a couple of years. My music taste proceeded towards heavier and heavier music until it stopped to Amon Amarth and Dimmu Borgir(I really don't like Death metal or black metal but there are some exceptions). Then I had pretty much listened to all of the metal bands that I liked. Then I started to listen Rammstein, Pendulum and Nine Inch Nails(well Rammstein is metal too but). And then It progressed to classic rock. I still listen to metal but not as much.
 

LaMer

New member
Dec 23, 2010
222
0
0
Danik93 said:
I was a "hate everything that's not metal" kinda guy when I was younger but Metal has started to get blasted away from me by the loud beats of Techno, Drum n' Bass etc.

One of my favorite songs last year was

<youtube=__8OqgtqYuE>

and now it's

<youtube=MEQMkzjcLEA>

And for added discussion value I'll ask you how have you're taste of music evolved the last year/years?
My God. Are we the same person?? I experienced this when I discovered Deadmau5, Daft Punk, etc. a few years ago.
 

ThirdEye95

New member
Jul 11, 2010
56
0
0
Dude, that's so much like what's happened with me. Recently I've been getting really into DnB, house and dubstep, much like you have. I still like the metal and rock I was into before (although over the years I've realised how terrible bands like Slipknot and BMTH are), but I guess I'm just becoming more openminded than I was before as I discover more music.
 

ThirdEye95

New member
Jul 11, 2010
56
0
0
xRBEASTx said:
Danik93 said:
I was a "hate everything that's not metal" kinda guy when I was younger but Metal has started to get blasted away from me by the loud beats of Techno, Drum n' Bass etc.

One of my favorite songs last year was

<youtube=__8OqgtqYuE>

and now it's

<youtube=MEQMkzjcLEA>

And for added discussion value I'll ask you how have you're taste of music evolved the last year/years?
My God. Are we the same person?? I experienced this when I discovered Deadmau5, Daft Punk, etc. a few years ago.
Haha, I guess this is something that happens to a lot of metalheads? All three of us seem to be the same person!
 

LaMer

New member
Dec 23, 2010
222
0
0
Snake Plissken said:
Nadlice said:
with Bomb the Music Industry being, IMO, the greatest band ever.
This is the truest thing I've ever seen on the Escapist. Glad that someone else discovered this band as well. Tell me, was it because of Mitch Clem?
Heh, I also thought I was the only one aware of this great band.
 

GeoPB

New member
Jun 10, 2009
296
0
0
Dubstep is hitting the Earth out of nowhere, and it's fantastic.
I used to be a massive DnB head, and when dubstep first appeared I hated it, with several kinds of passion. But it's calm beats mixed with frenzied wobbles and heavy bass make it something so different and new.

People these days are afraid to like what others don't, even if they like it themselves.
 

DoomCaek

New member
May 20, 2010
28
0
0
the Dept of Science said:
I like metal but I dislike metalheads. I don't know why, but you seem to get more people listening exclusively to metal than any other genre. Metal is great if you want to get pumped up or let off steam. Its fun to thrash around at a gig or put something fast on for when you are driving. The problem is that what if you don't want to get pumped up? You can't really put metal on if all you want to do is chill out or if you're at a party or something like that.
So many metalheads seem to be largely ignorant of other genres and label anything that doesn't have some blistering guitar solo as shit. I find it depressing how some of these guys have hundreds of metal albums but nothing by Miles Davis, Leonard Cohen or Marvin Gaye.
Yes, you can easily put metal on if you want to chill. Also, not all metal is extremely brutal or fast.

It seems a bit generalizing to say that 'so many metalheads' label other genres as shit, just because there's not a guitar solo in it. Maybe that's not the reason they think it's "shit"? But yeah, some would probably think that way.

As with any other "music-genre"-heads. Some people don't like metal just because it's not pop.
 

Spongebobdickpants

New member
Oct 6, 2009
192
0
0
I always liked electronic music although aas i get older i'm liking different types for example i used to like Pendulum's In Silico and ONLY that of they'res and Daft Punk now i love Hold your Colour more than in silico (although immersion trumps them both) and i like (some of) deadmau5's music and a whole heap of the prodigy,and some justice for good measure :D.
 

hobo_welf

New member
Aug 15, 2008
200
0
0
It's pretty simple.... If you don't like metal anymore listen to Between the Buried and Me. Look up the song "Selkies: The Endless Obsession".

If you don't like that song, you don't like metal anymore.

Also there are more good songs on Hold Your Colour than there are on Immersion and In Silico put together... Go listen to Jungle Sound Gold or Greatest Hits. Pendulums new shit is awful.
 

sageoftruth

New member
Jan 29, 2010
3,417
0
0
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Danik93 said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because you posted a slipknot song as one of your ex favorites, but it could be because you weren't listening to many good metal bands.
HERESY!

What is good metal then?
Ah jeez, whenever I start making a list of good metal bands I could probably go on indefinitely and then feel bad for leaving out bands that probably would fit the list better.

To name some that I'm currently listening to, Helloween, Children of Bodom, Lordi, Judas Priest, Lamb of God, Sabaton, Blind guardian, Skeletonwitch... basically what I'm getting at is that there are a bunch of metal bands that I really like and slipknot isn't one of them. Not to say they're terrible, but there's much better stuff out there.
Still, I'm sure many of us can see where you are coming from. Slipknot is like the poster child of metal that makes metalheads look bad. A common complaint I've heard from many metalheads is, "Whenever I say that I like metal, the people at work think I'm talking about crap like Slipknot."
 

Fraught

New member
Aug 2, 2008
4,419
0
0
Novs said:
Fraught said:


>implying that Lamb of God,Sabaton,Children of Bodom,Helloween and Blind Guardian are any good either.
>Implying that this 4chan greentext thing isnt stupid thing to do


:/
I really haven't listened to Sabaton, helloween, Bling Guardian and Lamb of God much (have, but I don't really remember much anything). And, well, I think Children of Bodom's decently good.

And I really didn't imply that it's not a stupid thing to do. You, on the other hand, by adding it by just presuming implies that you, on some level, like the whole "implying" thingamajig.
 

ThirdEye95

New member
Jul 11, 2010
56
0
0
Flimsii said:
I always liked electronic music although aas i get older i'm liking different types for example i used to like Pendulum's In Silico and ONLY that of they'res and Daft Punk now i love Hold your Colour more than in silico (although immersion trumps them both) and i like (some of) deadmau5's music and a whole heap of the prodigy,and some justice for good measure :D.
If you like Pendulum's HYC you should check out some DJ Fresh (he's collaborated with Pendulum a few times), Sub Focus (Also collaborated with Pendulum, and remixed some Prodigy) and High Contrast. All amazing DnB producers.
 

squeeble69

New member
Jun 9, 2009
43
0
0
Danik93 said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because you posted a slipknot song as one of your ex favorites, but it could be because you weren't listening to many good metal bands.
HERESY!

What is good metal then?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHcPNr7Ifq0

This.
 

ThirdEye95

New member
Jul 11, 2010
56
0
0
hobo_welf said:
It's pretty simple.... If you don't like metal anymore listen to Between the Buried and Me. Look up the song "Selkies: The Endless Obsession".

If you don't like that song, you don't like metal anymore.
Apparently I don't like metal anymore. :/
 

KefkaCultist

New member
Jun 8, 2010
2,120
0
0
Danik93 said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because you posted a slipknot song as one of your ex favorites, but it could be because you weren't listening to many good metal bands.
HERESY!

What is good metal then?
I know you've been quoted numerously and are probably sick of it but I just want to put out my list. (mind you actually listen to Slipknot, but there is definitely a lot better stuff out there.)

List of great metal:
-Anthrax
-Iron Maiden
-Fleshgod Apocalypse
-Gojira
-Meshuggah
-In This Moment
-Mudvayne
-Opeth
-Otep
-Pantera
-Shadows Fall
-Slayer
-Amon Amarth

Anyway OT: this actually happened to me a while back. I wasn't a pure metal head but more anything that wasn't country, pop, or rap. It started with Katy Perry but now I have her, Ke$ha (only 1 song I swear), Eminem, Coolio, and some other random ones which I can't think of. Still no country though and probably never will have anything closer to it than Lynard Skynard because I dispise it.

KEFKA EDIT: The person above me has Sephiroth as his avatar? HA! That mamma's boy wishes he could be as evil as me! Did you become a god and destroy the world? NO! And yet you get more recognition than me and I hate hate hate hate hate HATE that! Plus it only took 3 people to kill you one of which was a little emo guy with an unwieldy sword! It took 4 to take me down and one of them was half-Esper!
OT: Nothing beats the sweet music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!
 

the Dept of Science

New member
Nov 9, 2009
1,007
0
0
DoomCaek said:
the Dept of Science said:
I like metal but I dislike metalheads. I don't know why, but you seem to get more people listening exclusively to metal than any other genre. Metal is great if you want to get pumped up or let off steam. Its fun to thrash around at a gig or put something fast on for when you are driving. The problem is that what if you don't want to get pumped up? You can't really put metal on if all you want to do is chill out or if you're at a party or something like that.
So many metalheads seem to be largely ignorant of other genres and label anything that doesn't have some blistering guitar solo as shit. I find it depressing how some of these guys have hundreds of metal albums but nothing by Miles Davis, Leonard Cohen or Marvin Gaye.
Yes, you can easily put metal on if you want to chill. Also, not all metal is extremely brutal or fast.

It seems a bit generalizing to say that 'so many metalheads' label other genres as shit, just because there's not a guitar solo in it. Maybe that's not the reason they think it's "shit"? But yeah, some would probably think that way.

As with any other "music-genre"-heads. Some people don't like metal just because it's not pop.
I don't think that its exactly a contreversial view that metal doesn't exactly cover all the emotional bases or is appropriate in all situations. No genres are like that. Metal, almost by definition could never provide the undiluted sugar rush of a good indie pop song, likewise an indie pop song will never tickle my dark side or blow me away with flashy instrumetal skill. Each genre has various things it does well. I think that the only way you can have a good music taste is to have a diverse one, to have knowledge of all genres.
Each genre has its own rich history and a decent number of artists that anyone could come to appreciate given a bit of open mindedness. If there is any major genre that you are not listening to, then you are missing out on a massive amount of good music and culture.

None of these complaints are to do with metal specifically, but this closed mindedness to other genres seems to affect heavy metal particularly strongly for some reason. I don't know any rap fans that don't listen to a bit of electronica, pop or the occaisional cross over rock song. I don't know any indie kids who don't dabble similarly. On the other hands I have met plenty of metalheads that clearly don't really listen to much else. Furthermore, I haven't met any that do listen to a wide variety outside of metal.

Also, people don't hate metal just because "its not pop". Lets not kid ourselves, as much as I like metal, I can think of a hundred perfectly legitimate reasons why your average person wouldn't. When trying to explain the merrits of "Raining Blood" to non-metal friends of mine, it didn't take long before I realised that describing it as "brutal", "crushing" or "sounds like the appocalypse" wasn't going to warm it to anyone.
 

Busdriver580

New member
Dec 22, 2009
270
0
0
I stopped listening to as much metal, but the real problem is that I think modern metal bands are lackluster when compared to earlier stuff, and there's only so much of that to go around.
I thought I was getting out of metal but then I totally got all over Endgame and World Painted Blood

Still, I listen to a lot more varied stuff now I can shuffle from Slayer to Lady Gaga to Wu Tang