Metal is starting to leave my heart

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Wondermint13 said:
Is Iron Maiden Metal?
I cannot express in words or emoticons how incredulous I am upon reading this post. Yes, Iron Maiden is Metal. They are one of if not the most popular metal band in the world.

Anyway, on a somewhat related note, I used to listen to a very small amount of music and none of it was particularly good. I've never liked pop, or mainstream country, or mainstream rap. A few years ago I started listening to more metal on the suggestion of a friend... and now I have literally hundreds of metal albums. Not to say the only thing I listen to is metal though, I like Jazz and Blues, some rock, some indie stuff, a very small bit of techno(Daft Punk...but I still don't like pop,country or rap.(Of the mainstream variates)

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
I have a dueling interest in electronic music and metal, both are absolutely beautiful in my opinion. Therefore it doesn't surprise me that the OP has found himself liking both too. They have a lot of similarities...as for me, my interests have shifted toward metal as of late, but I find myself listening to a lot more metalcore/hybrid bands than I was used to before. More poppy stuff too...I like me a good, catchy song =)

And thank you OP for embedding that Deadmau5 video, I had heard great things about him but never heard him. He's really good.

Wondermint13 said:
Is Iron Maiden Metal?
Yes, some people may consider them hard rock but to me they exhibit enough characteristics of metal to be metal. Like how some people may consider Led Zeppelin or AC/DC metal even though to me they are not.

Nadlice

Jun 3, 2009
Snake Plissken said:
Nadlice said:
with Bomb the Music Industry being, IMO, the greatest band ever.
This is the truest thing I've ever seen on the Escapist. Glad that someone else discovered this band as well. Tell me, was it because of Mitch Clem?
Heh, thanks for the quote and voice of agreement.

Actually, no... did Mitch Clem namedrop them in a comic?

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
I'd recommend Wintersun. The concepts in their songs are awesome and there is an incredible amount of energy and inspiration in their music, at least for me. It's very nostalgic as I find myself frequently visiting specific childhood memories while listening to them.

And how about some classic Dimmu Borgir? Intense, evil, fast: awesome.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I used to be really into metal and punk when I was a teenager. Rock music in general was all I could listen to. Now though, I really don't like listening to it. Currently, I'm more of a big band, motown and '80s pop music kind of girl.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
Deadmau5 ftw.
Joel makes horrible music.

And I'm not even saying this as someone who hates him without having heard him. I've challenged by doubts and actually listened to 4x4=12 from start to finish. It was one of the worst albums of 2010.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Nadlice said:
Snake Plissken said:
Nadlice said:
with Bomb the Music Industry being, IMO, the greatest band ever.
This is the truest thing I've ever seen on the Escapist. Glad that someone else discovered this band as well. Tell me, was it because of Mitch Clem?
Heh, thanks for the quote and voice of agreement.

Actually, no... did Mitch Clem namedrop them in a comic?
Yeah, he used to speak of them pretty frequently. Not necessarily in the comic (I can think of one comic...) but rather often in his little ramblings below the comics.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
dragonslayer32 said:
My theory? Metal is dying. Look at the classics, Metallica, Maiden, Priest. They just don't make music like that anymore.
For really good reason.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Yeah, I'm going through the same thing. For the past 2 years, I've pretty much just listened to Turisas, Ensiferum, Fintroll, Kalmah, Wintersun, Lordi, Rammstein, etc. I didn't like pop because I thought it was fake.

But recently? More like Skrillex, Deadmau5, Justice, Daft Punk, Swedish House Mafia, Lady Gaga, and now even the Black Eyed Peas. I still think BEP are all retards, but their music is good fun.

Steviespartan

Jan 5, 2010
All these topics about expanding to other genres are all well and good, but what about the sub-genres within metal, or the stranger bands, like Korn or Rob Zombie? I think categorizing all metal as "metal" is almost completely untrue. There's trash, death, doom, nu, hardcore, etc. Staying exclusively within metal for this one, what has your favourite subgenre been, cuz death-metal-heads rarely stray to Deadmau5, but nu-metalers might

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I'm a hardcore man, but I can see myself slowly going for the more punk and indie pop-punk stuff... yknow, paramore and the like :/ instead of TDWP Underoath and all that stuff... oh wells... guess I will deal lol

Steviespartan

Jan 5, 2010
lax4life said:
Danik93 said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because you posted a slipknot song as one of your ex favorites, but it could be because you weren't listening to many good metal bands.
HERESY!

What is good metal then?
I've never liked Slipknot that much. A few bands to look at if you think you might not be interested in metal is Amon Amarth, Hammerfall (made many converts with them), and System of a Down.
I would agree to an extent, but newcomers to metal should go for the oldies, the tried and trues like Metallica and Maiden, then go for Amon Amarth, Five Finger Death Punch and other such ones to get deeper into the genre.

Also, any metalheads who need new metal to hear, try Kataklysm, Korn, and Avenged Sevenfold, plus the bands mentioned earlier, if you haven;t already, which you probably have

Steviespartan

Jan 5, 2010
FallenTraveler said:
I'm a hardcore man, but I can see myself slowly going for the more punk and indie pop-punk stuff... yknow, paramore and the like :/ instead of TDWP Underoath and all that stuff... oh wells... guess I will deal lol
The problem I have with bands like paramore and such is that for every "Ignorance" there is a "The Only Exception". Ignorance was sweet, but The Only Exception made me want to die

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Steviespartan said:
FallenTraveler said:
The problem I have with bands like paramore and such is that for every "Ignorance" there is a "The Only Exception". Ignorance was sweet, but The Only Exception made me want to die
agreed, but idk, I guess I mean I am getting more into the indie stuff, and I love female vocalists...Paramore is just that popular band so everyone can imagine the style I am starting to like as opposed to TDWP :p

tologna

Aug 6, 2009
Steviespartan said:
tologna said:
Slipknot= the Insane Clown Posse of Nu-Metal
I don't think they're really nu-metal, maybe like metalcore, bordering at times on death metal
Though, they do exibit some elements of thrash(or possibly black) particularly in drum-tempo.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I found metal to be loud and obnoxious from the get-go. I've always been more of a soundtrack and oldies fan, myself.