Metal is starting to leave my heart

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
In my opinion, to find good music you have to look back in time. I love classic rock and any subgenre of rock associated with it, as well as the Maiden brand of metal, but I don't understand the insanely fast guitar playing in the modern metal genres, and screamo singers sound almost as unpleasant to me as most generic pop singers. Luckily there are one or two modern bands I can get behind, such as Airbourne or Dragonforce. For a while I thought My Chemical Romance would be a third, but of the songs I've heard by them so far, only the first two were anywhere close to being good.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Honestly I think 90% of all metal fans go through the same process. Start out as 'if it's not metal it's shit' and turn into someone who listens to everything.

The only people who remain stuck in the 'if it's not metal it's shit' phase are those older guys you see at concerts, wearing denim jackets completely obscured by a shitzillion band patches.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
Personally I haven't heard either of the songs but I really like the second one.

People taste changes don't fight it embrace the stuff your enjoying now.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
Duffeknol said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Duffeknol said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Duffeknol said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Oh, and on metal, ignore anyone who says 'DATZ NOT METULZ!!!' just because it's not heavier than a lead elephant and from somewhere in Scandinavia. There are a lot of that kind. Slipknot are definitely metal.
I've spent the last 8 years on the internet debunking this same statement almost every single day. No, I really don't have a life.

Just because Slipknot uses distorted guitars, fast drumming and some screaming doesn't mean they fall under the metal genre. They play hard rock music. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. I really don't get why people get so defensive about it. When I say 'Slipknot isn't metal', that's always translated to 'I hate Slipknot and that's why they're no metal'. I don't hate them. I don't really like most of their songs, but I don't hate them. I appreciate them for what they are: hard rock. There is only one thing that dictates the genre of a band: the musical structure. Listen to Slipknot's guitar lines. They follow the exact same chord patterns as every standard rock song ever made. Think away the speed at which they're played, and tune down the distortion a bit, and you got yourself a perfectly normal U2-ish rock song.
Actual metal bands don't even need distortion and/or screaming to be metal. Their different musical structure makes them metal. Most power metal bands are no where near as 'heavy' as Slipknot, but they're still metal.

Example: when you play a piece by Mozart on a fully distorted electric guitar, someone screams the bassline and the drums are a blastbeat, are you playing metal? No. You're simply playing classical with unconventional instruments.

So when a band plays a hard rock song, only with heavier guitars, harsher vocals and faster drums, they are still just playing hard rock.
You know that's pretty much what metal is. You're going to tell me 'Sabbath aren't metal? It's just blues played low and sludgy. It's this kind of bullshit unprovable argument that annoys me.
The incorporation of the blues note into sludgy, depressive, downtuned 'some kind of rock' spawned the new genre to begin with. Of course metal will have some (keyword) resemblance (key phrase) to hard rock, but it's not a 1 on 1 copy. There's new stuff flying all over the place.

Listen to a random Morbid Angel song and see if you can pick out the standard hard rock chord progression from them. It's not unprovable, it's just impossible to explain to the musically impaired.
Plenty of metal bands use hard rock chord proggressions. Kyuss did, Metallica do, Machine Head do. Chord progressions aren't one of the defining features of metal; if you make if feel weighty enough and play it with the right attitude then you can make most things into an at least metal-esque tone, especially if it's hard rock. For example, lots of Iron Maiden songs use a hard rock chord proggression but with the classic 'Maiden gallop. The boundary between hard rock and metal is damn near indistinguishable as it is, and anyway, have you heard some Slipknot? Go listen to Vendetta, Pulse Of Maggots, Opium Of The People or Sulfur and tell me it's not metal. It's certaintly isn't hard rock.
Bleh, sadly that's true.
Someone should really come up with some actual rules or guidelines when it comes to defining musical genres. There's a reason I've been having the same discussion on the internet for nearly a decade; there is no answer. All we can do is defend our own observations... which eventually boils down to opinion vs opinion. Truce?
Yeah, ok. I think the line between metal and rock is pretty gradual. I mean, where would Motorhead go?
Motorhead is above such things. Lemmy just calls everything loud 'rock n roll'... hell, that could actually work. From this day forward, all loud music is rock n roll. Lemmy said so.

solbadguy37

Sep 27, 2010
JenSeven said:
Danik93 said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because you posted a slipknot song as one of your ex favorites, but it could be because you weren't listening to many good metal bands.
HERESY!

What is good metal then?
I would say:
Anthrax
Armored Saint
Annihilator
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Demons & Wizards
Exodus
Kreator
Gamma Ray
Iron Savior
Primal Fear
Helloween
Machine Head
Mastodon
Fear Factory
Monster Magnet
Rob Zombie
White Zombie
StormTroopers Of Death
The Haunted
Wolf
Venom
W.A.S.P.

Just to name a few
aaaall of that plus venom and mayhem.

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
I've gone the exact same way. From listening to Disturbed to listening to Chase and Status...

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
Yeah, ok. I think the line between metal and rock is pretty gradual. I mean, where would Motorhead go?
I've also had this problem. For example, a friend of mine keeps referring to Motley Crue as a metal band, but I'd say they're rock, and even then do they count as hard rock, classic rock or both?

NoseDigger

Aug 25, 2009
At first it was indie stuff, and more Arctic Mokeys and The Liberteens. Over the past four years, pretty much anything from Hospital Records (D&B), a lot from Ultra Records (electro) and Dimmak Records (heavy electro?). It's all come together in a nice collections of music. And I've never really liked metal or rock music. Just the way I am.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Danik93 said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because you posted a slipknot song as one of your ex favorites, but it could be because you weren't listening to many good metal bands.
HERESY!

What is good metal then?
Pretty much anything apart from Slipknot. They're teen metal. They have a couple of songs that are good, but other than that it's just angsty noise. No real depth or quality. I'm not bashing your taste or Slipknot, but they're simply beneath "real" metal.

Listen to some Metallica from the 80s and 90s (and, if you fancy, the other big 3, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax), Sepultura, Machine Head, Fear Factory, Godflesh, Mastodon, Wolfmother, etc.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
JenSeven said:
Danik93 said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
HERESY!

What is good metal then?
I would say:
Anthrax
Armored Saint
Annihilator
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Demons & Wizards
Exodus
Kreator
Gamma Ray
Iron Savior
Primal Fear
Helloween
Machine Head
Mastodon
Fear Factory
Monster Magnet
Rob Zombie
White Zombie
StormTroopers Of Death
The Haunted
Wolf
Venom
W.A.S.P.

Just to name a few
Jup thats Metal!trve as you can get

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
I liked hiphop when I was young, techno in my early teens, and from late teens onward it's been rock and metal.

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
Danik93 said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
HERESY!

What is good metal then?
See, you do still love metal, you're trying to stick up for Slipknot. I am a person who can and does listen to every genre of music, it's okay to like two different kinds of music. Don't give up on metal, there are soooooo many good metal bands out there.
Mastodon
In Flames
Baroness
Clutch
Lamb of God, just to name a small few. I'm not up on my electronic music as of late or I would make a few suggestions there but there are some good in between bands like:
Combichrist
Creature Feature
Velvet Acid Christ and so forth. It irks me when people are very one dimensional with there music choices. Hell I've even grown to like some country(blasphemy, lol).

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I used to like Red Hot Chili Peppers, now I'm addicted to their music.

I've picked up a couple of bands, but generally, I dislike new music. I sometimes pick up the odd song, like Carry on, Wayward Son by Kansas, or The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkle

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Danik93 said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Danik93 said:
I was a "hate everything that's not metal" kinda guy when I was younger but Metal has started to get blasted away from me by the loud beats of Techno, Drum n' Bass etc.

One of my favorite songs last year was

<youtube=__8OqgtqYuE>

and now it's

<youtube=MEQMkzjcLEA>

And for added discussion value I'll ask you how have you're taste of music evolved the last year/years?
It'll will be back, or at least it came back with me. Around high school I barely had any metal left on my ipod, then later I started to listen to it a lot more...

Since I was 7 or 8, my musical taste has mainly jumped back and forth between punk and metal (you know, real metal, not that nu metal shit). There was also a little ska at one point.

Oh, and if you like drums/bass, look up Jeff Hughell. He has an EP out that is only drums/bass. No guitar or vocals.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing... When I said Drum n' Bass I meant this:

<youtube=y2KC1P9s6-Q>
Oh, then I'd say listen to more punk music... sounds more punky then metal, well, to me at least... that or metalcore.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Well, I went from a total classical rock geek, to listening to metal all the time. Then I got really into techno, like minimal, house and that. After that I started to listen to more modern bands like Radiohead. Next was classic, hardcore and post-punk, stoner metal and finally psychedelic rock. Which is probably my favourite. I still listen to all of these genres, however, the genre I listen to most would be alternative or grunge, Nirvana and Radiohead and the like.

Now, I guess you would expect me to be deeply depressed listen to such melancholic music but i'm not. Hooray!

Thirsk

Jan 18, 2009
Novs said:
Thirsk said:
Novs said:
dragonslayer32 said:
My theory? Metal is dying. Look at the classics, Metallica, Maiden, Priest. They just don't make music like that anymore.
Your theory is wrong.
Is it now? I absolutely love metal over other genres (though I like a lot of other styles, from psytrance to neo-folk or mongolian throat singing) which is also why I am saddened by the development in the recent years. I mean, look at the 90ies - it spawned alot of great metal bands, not to mention the whole norwegian black metal movement. I don't think I have to elaborate on how great the 80ies were for metal. Now what have we got from the 00es? Well, there's good bands a-plenty, but far the majority of it is regressive, trying to recreate the sound of earlier styles rather than forging ahead. Sure, we have to folk metal movement, but even that have it's beginnings in the 90ies. I hate to think about it, but it seems to me like metal is slowly starting to stagnate; somehow there isn't anything true that isn't also regressive and oldschool.

However, I'd love if you could prove me wrong.
I posted this earlier, but modern black metal:

Blut Aus Nord,Negura Bunget,Deathspell Omega,Darkspace,Nivathe,Alcest,Klaubatamann,Ruins Of Beverast, Wolves In The Throne Room,Agalloch.

also Cynic,Portal,Meshuggah,Animals As Leaders.
I must admid that I haven't heard all of them - I like my black metal old, cold and gritty - but most, if not all, true black metal I've heard from the 00s have their roots firmly planted in the genre created by the bands from Norway in the early nineties, for some bands to the point of plagiarism. The sub-genres that have driven forth metal (heavy, thrash, black, etc.) making music history and changing the shape of how metal is today are all breaking with something that came before them - for example, some of the earliest black metal (especially Darkthrone from A Blaze in the Northern Sky and onwards) were made because the artists were bored with how slick and boring they thought death metal had become.

I have seen no such breaks in the 00s. Most stuff have either been regressive - or oldschool-minded, if you will - or poserish, as far as I've seen. The closest thing I can think of is the new direction Darkthrone is going with their music - but even though the "black crossover"-esque sound is rather new to my ears, a lot of the elements are very oldschool - it is intended to be. Also, I mean, they're a band from '86, so not exactly new meat.

As I see it the bands you've posted (or at least those of them I've heard) are rather elaborations on the black metal genre rather than a break with it, creating something altogether new. Please do tell if there's a band among them that defies what I here say

Duffeknol said:
Seriously, honestly, truthfully, all you need to do is start listening to every single thing Devin Townsend has ever released. Faith restoration guaranteed.
Will do, later tonight. Right now I have an assignment to finish and some Nihilist to hear : )

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
If anything I would say I have got more into metal as the years go by.

At the age of about 12 I thought all metal was bad and listened to mainly popular female singers like Dido and Avril Lavigne.

By 15 I had stopped completely listening to popular female singers, started liking alt rock, thought metal was ok, but way to heavy for my tastes.

Now I have a music libary consiting mostly of metal and have only just started listening to things like Godsmack, but also have a few other thing in there like Potishead, Rx Bandits and Daft Punk. Still have yet to delve ito the depths of 80s metal, so I'm still not a complete metal head yet.