Metal is starting to leave my heart

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
Duffeknol said:
Danik93 said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Danik93 said:
I was a "hate everything that's not metal" kinda guy when I was younger but Metal has started to get blasted away from me by the loud beats of Techno, Drum n' Bass etc.

One of my favorite songs last year was

<youtube=__8OqgtqYuE>

and now it's

<youtube=MEQMkzjcLEA>

And for added discussion value I'll ask you how have you're taste of music evolved the last year/years?
It'll will be back, or at least it came back with me. Around high school I barely had any metal left on my ipod, then later I started to listen to it a lot more...

Since I was 7 or 8, my musical taste has mainly jumped back and forth between punk and metal (you know, real metal, not that nu metal shit). There was also a little ska at one point.

Oh, and if you like drums/bass, look up Jeff Hughell. He has an EP out that is only drums/bass. No guitar or vocals.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing... When I said Drum n' Bass I meant this:

<youtube=y2KC1P9s6-Q>
Now, I absolutely love Pendulum, but you do realize they're a rather poor example of Drum n' Bass, right?
Yea, but I was in a hurry to get out... didn't have the time to find a proper Drum n Bass.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I listen to theme song music mostly.

Huge step up from my school-time musical taste which consisted mostly of pretty depressing shit.

Killermud

Oct 6, 2010
I've had a similar experience, since I was about 12 I listened to metal and only metal until recently (I too am 17) where I've gone to the electronic scene, mostly Glitch and IDM. Why? I was finding metal all the same (I still listen to some metal though) same vocals, same distortion slapped on guitars, same chords and riffs etc. Of course i'm generalizing here, now and then a new original metal song will come out and i'll enjoy it. So now my library is much more diverse containing lots of genres not just metal.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Like any grene of music it can get repeative and get bored with it, its called burn out, you may need a break from it or find better bands within the genre.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Nothing wrong with liking other genres, I am a metalhead through and through, 10+ years listening to it and I will to the day I die. Doesn't stop me expanding my horizons, in the past year I have gone to see Crystal Castles and Pendulum and I would have seen Deadmau5 had I been able to get a ticket. I am beginning to delve in Drum and Bass and Dubstep since I am finding more and more that I like out of those genres, even some mainstream dance I will admit to liking.

Doesn't stop me from blasting Death Metal whenever I want to. Variety is the spice of life, even if metal is like 95% of it.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Novs said:
OH don't get me wrong. There definitely are bands that try new things, however, I always had the feeling that because metal is such a defined genre, it will usually take the focus over the other additions. Like I said, it's not bad, and I can understand the appeal, however, for me, metal lacked something. Whatever I'd listen to at that point, I wouldn't experience any emotion from it. A lot of band that try new things, also at the same time will focus on the music being overly complex and technical (not DT complex though thank god). And that's something I was slowly drifting away. I guess one of the few things that changed my life was a statement from my friend who completely into punk.

He basically said something like:
I like punk bands, they don't give a shit, they don't need perfectionism. They make music and enjoy it, and if they fuck up? So what, they play on.

At that point I realized one thing that became more important, perfectionism will screw up music. But getting sidetracked with that... Thing was, listening to metal made me experience nothing. No matter what I'd listen to, it would never feel like something new, something that would introduce me to new, unexplored soundscapes, something. You know who did that? Boards of Canada, their eerie ambient electronic music was something that moved me, moved me in a long time, and that's when I decided metal is boring for me. At that point, I shifted my focus towards other genres.

Bottom line, the fact that I find it stale, comes from my own personal perception of the music, and the people involved in it. And the only thing that I can back it up is, what I felt when I listened to it.

Do I hate metal? Not at all. I do however hate the strong subculture attached to it. I personally feel a closed off subculture will cause more harm than good. Because in that case you have a specific audience you have to please. Thus effectively reducing a lot of bands into imitation of their idols, instead of creating music progress.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
When I started listening to music it literally was just Rock and Metal. Now, I listen to pretty much anything as long as it is not rap, as I find it really, really annoying. One of my favorite bands at the moment is actually Pendulum, whereas before it was bands like Metallica and In Flames. I now also quite like Michael Buble for some strange reason.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I don't really remember that well what I listened to a year ago, but over the years, my music taste has jumped into a washing machine, driven that down a cliff, crawled out of it - after crawling out with its back down - and then turned itself upside down and flown to the sun and exploded.

Well, I'm overexaggerating, but a few years ago I used to listen to rap. And not any "underground" shit, mainstream. The most famous rap group in my country, Eminem, D12, 50 Cent, the lot. I knew the complete lyrics to a number of songs by the group I mentioned first, Eminem, D12, some to 50 Cent even (though less so, I liked Eminem (and D12) a lot more), and at home I used to blast it from the speakers and sing along. (Lawd.)

Now I listen to metal and rock, though I'm open about all genres (especially as I even like techno, electronica and other similar stuff a bit, electronica more than techno, though). And most of the bands I listen to are pretty...well, they're not as well-known by far, and even less so here where you either are a band that almost everyone knows, or you're a band that nobody here knows. Most I listen to is like that.

And the range and spectrum between those rock and metal songs is wide. I have soft rock, I have harder rock. I have softer metal, I have harder metal. I have reggae metal, kind of groovy and jazz-y metal. Pop rock, hard rock, rock infused with electronica sounds. Metal where the drum beats about 60 million times a minute and there's not a whole lot of singing, and metal that's more melodic, and cheery and uses rhythm maybe a bit more effectively, where the singing's very prominent.

So yeah.

Guitarmasterx7 said:
Danik93 said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because you posted a slipknot song as one of your ex favorites, but it could be because you weren't listening to many good metal bands.
HERESY!

What is good metal then?
Ah jeez, whenever I start making a list of good metal bands I could probably go on indefinitely and then feel bad for leaving out bands that probably would fit the list better.

To name some that I'm currently listening to, Helloween, Children of Bodom, Lordi, Judas Priest, Lamb of God, Sabaton, Blind guardian, Skeletonwitch... basically what I'm getting at is that there are a bunch of metal bands that I really like and slipknot isn't one of them. Not to say they're terrible, but there's much better stuff out there.
[img_inline height="150" align=left]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6859/1283597879566.jpg[/img_inline]

>list of good metal bands
>to name some
>lordi
>mfw

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
I used be a guy like that. I expanded a little and I listened to delta blues a little. but Metal has always stayed close to my heart. Hope you don't abandon it entirely

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Now, I'm normally an In Flames / Rage / Soilwork metalhead, but recently I developed a fondness for the ending song to Spice and Wolf. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Mikri Shogun

Jun 28, 2008
Danik93" post="18.256178.9598825 said:
I was a "hate everything that's not metal" kinda guy when I was younger but Metal has started to get blasted away from me by the loud beats of Techno, Drum n' Bass etc.

Then it was never there...

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
In the early 90s, I was in to stuff like early Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Marilyn Mason. I later got in to Slipknot, but it started to get old on me. I moved on to My Chemical Romance, Sevendust, Nonpoint, and Bullet for my Valentine. Then I started listening to Muse, which lead me to Coheed and Cambria.

I still listen to all those bands, but not quite as regularly as Coheed and Cambria. I listen to them every day. Usually at least 2-3 albums a day. If I'm at work and can't listen to them, I'm playing them in my head or singing them under my breath.

My musical taste changed a lot over the years, but I don't regret ever being a fan of Limp Bizkit or Alien Ant Farm. Those bands lead me to Coheed, and Coheed makes me very, very happy.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
My musical tastes have evolved along with the rest of my interests toward a more refined, classical taste.

I'm about two years and fifty thousand bucks a year in income away from turning into a snobbish rich dude. Not that I mind; I also turn 35 in a year and a half, so I couldn't stay young forever. I can already see myself trading gaming for another hobby (although I've been saying that for oh, about five years now) and otherwise putting my extended adolescence behind me.

Mckeown

Jan 8, 2011
that's cool, man. i've been a devout metalhead since i first discovered 'maiden and now i'm into all kinds of metal (not black metal, though, there's just something offputting about it for me). that's not to say i have differant tastes, too. i still think that queen are one of the best bands around and i liked a russian duet gone american/british pop style called T.a.t.U. a few years back, still do, actually. and my freind tim has everything on his hard drive and i mean EVERYTHING. he has it all, from ke$ha to folk, from classical to dimmu borgier and cradle of filth. he has at least one song from every genre under the sun and he likes them all, but he's still an awesome guy.
so embrace the change, and enjoy it while you can

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
I like metal but I dislike metalheads. I don't know why, but you seem to get more people listening exclusively to metal than any other genre. Metal is great if you want to get pumped up or let off steam. Its fun to thrash around at a gig or put something fast on for when you are driving. The problem is that what if you don't want to get pumped up? You can't really put metal on if all you want to do is chill out or if you're at a party or something like that.
So many metalheads seem to be largely ignorant of other genres and label anything that doesn't have some blistering guitar solo as shit. I find it depressing how some of these guys have hundreds of metal albums but nothing by Miles Davis, Leonard Cohen or Marvin Gaye.

Ande66

Dec 27, 2010
I have been a metalhead the last 8 years, and it took me 4 years of research and trying to find an alternative genre that I like. So when I get bored of metal, I just listen to some hardstyle techno.

And I kinda like some country and classic on the side. Listen to whatever you like, if people thinks you're stupid, it's their problem, not yours.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I was real into ska until about this year. We're talking Streetlight Manifesto, Mustard Plug (actually wearing a Mustard Plug shirt now), MU330, etc.

While I still like it I don't listen to it as much and I've stopped actively seeking new bands. My tastes have grown more diverse. As things are now this is my favorite band and song.

In addition to Metric my other favorite bands now include Cage the Elephant, Foxy Shazam, Four Year Strong and Underoath. I also listen to a ton of J-Rock and J-Pop too. Gackt, FLOW, ABingdon Boys School, Maon Kurosaki, etc.