Metal music in your 20s

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
I'm 20 and still listen to a lot of metal from all over the spectrum and i dont think that that will ever change for one simple reason; mainstream music (pop,hip-hop and dance) is totally shallow. I like my music to have a bit of depth and feeling in it and what is mainstream atm is completely throwaway and worthless.

metal at least seems to put some effort into the songs made, probably because they know they can't just put out any old crap and everyone will buy it, metalheads are a lot more choosey when it comes to what they listen to, if the song's shite the band will be getting pulled up about it.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm 33 and I've branched out all over the place---classical, funk, jazz, soul...but to my ears there is still nothing as pure, raw, and awesome as a great bit of metal, and I love what the European symphonic and epic metal subgenres have done for the form as a whole.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Video game Music for me, classical and oldies. I enjoy these more because even if the subject they are singing about it controversial or depressing, the beats the go with them are great. They don't make you feel like hurting yourself, just others....LOL

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Metal has been a large part of my music lists for years and that's not changing. It's never been the only thing I listen to, so it's never really been in danger of getting old.

csbears

Feb 28, 2010
I looked at a few of the bands on here and I thought "Why didn't I post a good song?" and I think I'll do just that. If you like that song you would probably like some of my favorite bands such as Mastodon, Unearth, and Static-X. \--/ Rock on! \--/ :D

*Note* Although this song is loud you can still hear the words...and if you can't I suggest reading the lyrics below the video because this song is deep as shit. When I lived with my father he was a mean drunk and this song paints such a good picture of my time in hell with him...enjoy!

Shadows Fall - My Demise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9aILL_CF3E

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
I'm 24, used to listen to nu-metal and regular metal exclusively when I was in my teens, but hearing a snippet of a Slipknot track now is just embarrassing. Bands like Slipknot, Korn, Slayer, Pantera, Machine Head etc that I liked when I was a wee'un I just find juvenile now and not in the good way. I used to throw the devil horns up at any opportunity because I thought it was badass, now though it's just a bit lame.

I'm not totally averse to the sound of a heavily distorted guitar but I get my fix from bands like Electric Wizard, Down and Goatsnake. I just prefer it to have a flowing groove.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
Metal music, in our teen years it was our bread and butter, but getting older me and countless others branched out to various genre's, and gone was the stigma of listening to various different music that plagued me in my teen years.

I used to be a huge metal fan when I was a teenager at college, i hanged out with the cool metal guys and we all shared our songs, but then time went by, and metal started to wear thin on me and i started branching out alot more to various genres, and music that i couldn't stand a few years back, i was listening to.

Now at the age of 21, metal has disappeared completely out of my mind, and in retrospect i think metal was just a way for us younger minds to be edgy, and cool, and to rebel against mainstream music.

So i've got a question for all you 20 somethings, has metal music weared thin as you go older, or are you still a die hard metaller for life, please tell me what you think.
I'm 21 too and I still only listen to metal. New Bodom, Devildriver, Lamb of God, and hopefully Gojira this year. I've heard of people "growing out" of metal, but It's all I listen to. I don't see myself growing out of it, but I do see the need for hiding it a bit by this age. Metalheads generally aren't the most approachable people, but ironically, most of us are nice.

BlastedTheWorm

Jan 26, 2010
I've grown to like other genres and stuff, but Heavy Metal is still my favourite. But I'll give anything a try, regardless of genre.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Jazoni89 said:
Maybe so, but that what most teens do, and that's how most people find their place in the world.

Im not totally a anti metal person, don't get me wrong, i love me a bit of Protest a Hero and such like, now and again, but my music taste is ever changing, and i was wondering if others could relate to what I am feeling.
Which is totally fine. Just probably means your ears prefer music that isn't metal and you're finding new stuff they do like.
And that, my friend is the Miracle of sound...hehe.
Lol it sure is... I'll never stop being a metalhead, every time I put on some heavy ass death metal it makes go 'WOOHOO!' on my brain :)

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I will always listen to metal. There are so many amazing sub genres and bands and new ones are always on the rise. I still like other music, heck I even like a little opera now and then.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
So i've got a question for all you 20 somethings, has metal music weared thin as you go older, or are you still a die hard metaller for life, please tell me what you think.
"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly!"

I'm no longer in my 20s (although I was 20 years ago ;-) and metal has never been more important in my life. There was a period where I drifted away from my metal roots and listened to more industrial, techno, and trance music, but I kept coming back to metal again and again. Last year I saw Manowar play 7 times in 5 different countries. I'll see them play 4 times in 2 countries next month. Bring it on!